RIP, Veishea

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
But they DID have something to break, and people tried to help them figure out how to not break it many times over the years. At a certain point, you just realize that the kid is going to keep being a ****head, and take away the toy.

I'm sorry, I just don't think it's the responsibility of the administration to teach kids to not act like idiots. These are all young adults, some even older than that. They're old enough to be drafted, smoke, and vote, they're certainly old enough to know better than to not tip over cars.

Exactly this. This was bound to happen. The people fighting this...how many more out of control riots of students in a drunken mob, property being trashed and people being hurt would it take for you to agree?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Actually, I think it shows the students that, if you break crap, you have to deal with the repercussions.

If I give my 4-year-old a toy, and she breaks it on purpose, I'm not going to go out and get her a new toy, or fancy up another toy to try and make her feel all happy inside. She broke the damn toy, now it's gone.

I should have used the word community and not students.....its hows the community (at least to me and my family) that ISU would rather give up then try to be innovative and try to find a solution. A knee jerk reaction in my opinion still.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not going to go down a slippery slope like last time. There is a line, you think I crossed it, I think I didn't. Agree to disagree I suppose.

I think someone could make a very legitimate argument that you are more responsible for VEISHEA's cancellation than president Leath.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think someone could make a very legitimate argument that you are more responsible for VEISHEA's cancellation than president Leath.

And I could make the argument that, standing on a public sidwalk 80+ yards away from the mob, had no responsibility for it. But people are pointing blame wherever they want. So whatever.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
And I could make the argument that standing on a public sidwalk 80+ yards away from the mob destructing had no responsibility for it. But people are pointing blame wherever they want. So whatever.

They sure are. Hey look, it's another "look in the mirror" moment, for you. That makes two.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
So true.

I had a few friends that were "just there" but didn't participate in the mob. I told them they are just as responsible, and they should have left or never been there.

The power of power in numbers gets taken away when there is less numbers. If the people that were "just there" wouldn't have been there at all, that group is nowhere near as big as it was, and possibly prevents the outcomes that happened that night leading all the way up to today.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So true.

I had a few friends that were "just there" but didn't participate in the mob. I told them they are just as responsible, and they should have left or never been there.

The power of power in numbers gets taken away when there is less numbers. If the people that were "just there" wouldn't have been there at all, that group is nowhere near as big as it was, and possibly prevents the outcomes that happened that night leading all the way up to today.
There were about 1000 people in the thick of it yelling chants and being shoulder to shoulder jumping up and down in the crowd much further up the street. I don't think 2015 had any involvement by standing that far away and there is no way he was adding fuel to the crowd all the way from Welch Ave Station.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
They made the decision that they had to make. It's that simple. Some of you are too blinded by bias that you can't see that. A University as big as Iowa State absolutely can not associate itself with anything that has repeatedly resulted in rioting. Especially when it's their students doing the rioting, and it has become part of the tradition of the particular event being discussed. You add to the fact that a kid was almost killed last year as a result of the rioting and this is what you get. If the University had reinstated VEISHEA there would have been a whole can of worms in terms of potential legal battles in the future that they would have had to worry about.

Think about this...
- It's obvious rioting was becoming a part of VIESHEA
- Had VEISHEA continued and another riot occurred ISU could have absolutely been held accountable for any damages, injuries, or deaths that were the result of it because they knew in advance there was a good chance it could happen and they chose to proceed with the event anyways. There's really very little that can be done in terms of law enforcement to prevent a riot. The only fool proof way to prevent a riot is to eliminate the event.

In today's day and age, when a red flag is waving you had better take notice. That's what they did. They made a hard choice, but it was the right one.

Totally agree. I don't think that Leath really had a choice. I LOVED VEISHEA. As a student, I loved the big parties and getting trashed all week. Loved that we had tons of friends coming into town to party for the weekend. Never even saw the parade as a student. But I saw a lot of huge parties and have a lot of great memories from VEISHEA. The last few years, I loved taking the kids to Ames to see the parade and walk around campus. That said, in society today, you can't just turn a blind eye to things like this because you're going to end up being liable if someone gets hurt. The warning signs were there and if you fail to address them, you are going to make yourself vulnerable to lawsuits.

I would have been fine with a policy of automatic expulsion for any ISU student getting caught doing property damage and non-students getting punished to the fullest extent of the law, but Leath's decision is probably the safer approach.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
And I could make the argument that, standing on a public sidwalk 80+ yards away from the mob, had no responsibility for it. But people are pointing blame wherever they want. So whatever.

I'm going to take a guess here and guess you were standing there being like 'oh my god, this is so cool' and jumped on facebook to brag you were there and there was a riot going on.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I should have used the word community and not students.....its hows the community (at least to me and my family) that ISU would rather give up then try to be innovative and try to find a solution. A knee jerk reaction in my opinion still.

How is it in any way a knee jerk reaction? This incident happened back in April. They've been deliberating about it for months. If they had canceled it within a week of it happening, that would have been a knee jerk reaction.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
How is it in any way a knee jerk reaction? This incident happened back in April. They've be deliberating about it for months. If they had canceled it within a week of it happening, that would have been a knee jerk reaction.

It comes off that way to me still.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm going to take a guess here and guess you were standing there being like 'oh my god, this is so cool' and jumped on facebook to brag you were there and there was a riot going on.

Let's not go down this road. thanks.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Let's not go down this road. thanks.

If we're going to go down the road of blaming Leath and the Ames PD for things they supposedly should have done in regards to VEISHEA's demise, certainly we can do the same with people who were actually present during the riot.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I don't know... It's easy to say "get to the root of the problem". Well, the root of the problem is alcohol and a "tradition" of riots. How do you change that? If you have VEISHEA, people are going to get drunk (not that they won't anyway) and a bunch of people are going to travel to Ames. How do you change the mindset of an entire population to remove the thought of rioting when the cops bust a party or you get kicked out of a bar? You can't stop people from partying and you when people get drunk, and you can't force drunk people to act responsible. I'd consider it a knee jerk reaction if it happened in 1988. But this reaction has basically taken 25 years to make.