Stuff you want to see this year

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My expectations are pretty low for this season but I do think there are a lot of exciting and interesting wrinkles this team can exploit. I do think 2015 can be a really good year.

1. I’m very interested to see how we use the receivers this year. I think the group still hasn’t been totally productive, but I’d like us to have some Todd-Blytheian type packages but with both Montgomery and Lazard on the edges, hopefully one of them can get in single coverage and we can just have some plays where Grant just lobs it on a fade. I think this can help solve some lingering issues in pass protection letting him get the ball out of his hands, and can also create some seams in the running game for the backs or Rohach himself.

2. There is a lot to be interested in on the defensive end. Man there is a lot of question marks but I’m very curious to see if Knott is healthy, the development of Cousin, and what the heck happens with the safeties.

3. Back to Rohach, I do think and hope he wins the starting job. We saw some really good things from him. The other thing I want to see in regard to quarterbacks though is I hope they don’t get too careful trying to protect them. I do think Rohach is better but I don’t think he’s light years ahead of Richardson, and the QB rush IMO is an essential element to the offense. I do expect 62%+ completion percentage and I think we would see a totally different offense with that stat.

4. Just from a personal mental health standpoint I’d love to see us beat KSU. So many close losses to them in the last 7 years or so. It’s early, they are replacing a ton of starters on defense, I have a tremendous amount of respect and hate for Snyder, and I just want to see the program get over that hump early in the season.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Darius Lee-Campbell is a future All-American Heisman winner, so what I would like to see is us make our QB change before the 8th game of the season and give him the ball by the second half of the NDSU game when we are tied 7-7 but have had 5 bagillion chances to score but both Rohach and Richardson don't take advantage of the situation they are given.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was hopeful last season that we wouldn't see the whole, "rush up to the line in a hurry up only to stop, have everyone look over to the sideline, get set, have everyone look over to the sideline again, then run a read handoff and get tackled by the backs of our own linemen". Good thing we got up to the line so quickly!

This year my hope is the same. That will be a major step of progress for me. Let's just play some football and stop out-thinking ourselves.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Darius Lee-Campbell is a future All-American Heisman winner, so what I would like to see is us make our QB change before the 8th game of the season and give him the ball by the second half of the NDSU game when we are tied 7-7 but have had 5 bagillion chances to score but both Rohach and Richardson don't take advantage of the situation they are given.
Bold prediction Cotton

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I was hopeful last season that we wouldn't see the whole, "rush up to the line in a hurry up only to stop, have everyone look over to the sideline, get set, have everyone look over to the sideline again, then run a read handoff and get tackled by the backs of our own linemen". Good thing we got up to the line so quickly!

This year my hope is the same. That will be a major step of progress for me. Let's just play some football and stop out-thinking ourselves.

Don't think you will get your wish as they have already said we would be going no huddle.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I would like to see a competent offense where there isn't confusion on every play about who is supposed to be in the game, what the tempo is supposed to be, what formation they're supposed to be in, etc.

Mess' offense was the worst in that regard.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Stuff I want to see:

1. Play with intensity and passion
2. Have an identity - especially on offense
3. Do something creative and unique - especially on offense

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I want to see confidence from whoever the starting QB is. I want him to play like he isn't scared to make a mistake and get benched. The QB carousel has to stop. Pick one and be done. The starter has to "play to win," not "play to not lose."

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

You might just have to settle for an effective offense that does look to the sideline. IIRC, Mangino's Kansas team was one of the first schools I saw do it, and it sounds like he plans to continue.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

I would like to see a competent offense where there isn't confusion on every play about who is supposed to be in the game, what the tempo is supposed to be, what formation they're supposed to be in, etc.

Mess' offense was the worst in that regard.

This and this as well.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
My expectations are pretty low for this season but I do think there are a lot of exciting and interesting wrinkles this team can exploit. I do think 2015 can be a really good year.

1. I’m very interested to see how we use the receivers this year. I think the group still hasn’t been totally productive, but I’d like us to have some Todd-Blytheian type packages but with both Montgomery and Lazard on the edges, hopefully one of them can get in single coverage and we can just have some plays where Grant just lobs it on a fade. I think this can help solve some lingering issues in pass protection letting him get the ball out of his hands, and can also create some seams in the running game for the backs or Rohach himself.
You forget about quenton bundrage already?

I want to see an offense that is a threat to score 30 points every game, and I think that starts with having a good o-line. Hopefully they aren't hit by the injury bug.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
1) Someone to take the reins at QB
2) A big step forward on offense
3) A lot of new faces stepping up on defense, preferably younger to give me a little more faith in ISU's recent recruiting

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I want to see a few of the young/new guys on defense show that the talent level is actually picking up. Some combination of Cotton-Moya, Mutcherson, Tribune, Meyers, Madison, new Jucos.

A QB to step up and be the man.

A few big hits against Texas. Too bad Mike Davis is gone.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
It really does come down to me a statistically Top 5 in conference total offense. A lot a things I'd like to see to get there make that happen:
confident starting QB (Sammy vs. KU 2 years ago & Rohach last year KU&WVU)
healthy cohesive O line (same starters throughout the season, subs and felt need be, not out of necessity)
EJ Bibbs being as hyped (prob easiest to come true)
WR's besides Q become known consistent quantities
Wimberly & Nealy combine for more that 1,500 yards on the ground
Less than 2 turnovers max per game (preferably never more than 1)
No penalties on 1st down

If this ever happens I've got minimal worries that the D can hold up and keep us in the game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You might just have to settle for an effective offense that does look to the sideline. IIRC, Mangino's Kansas team was one of the first schools I saw do it, and it sounds like he plans to continue.

I suppose if we get some positive results from it then that will change. Also it's a little better since Coach Rhoads isn't stuffing "no huddle" and "fast tempo" quotes down my throat so far.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Mine are kind of specific but if they happened I would view them as a sign of our progress on offense

1. Win an offensive shoot-out. The closest I can think of is the Tech game in '10, we won 52-38 but it felt closer than that in the end. If we can show that we can pure-and-simple out score someone on their best day, that would be incredible.

2. Step on someone's throat who isn't named KU. I want to beat someone down, bad. Like '11 Tech game that ended 41-7. I'm tired of us calling of the dogs in wins so the other coach/team/fans/whomever doesn't feel bad. This is big boy **** here, let's kick someone's *** big.

Help Support Us

Become a patron