Stuff you want to see this year

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
For the QB not to have to run backwards as soon as he catches the ball. The O Line needs to be able to give him at least a couple of seconds!

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
For the QB not to have to run backwards as soon as he catches the ball. The O Line needs to be able to give him at least a couple of seconds!

This

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Score on first possession.

I thought I saw a stat that ISU punted or turned it over on every first possession they had last year. (hopefully I didn't just make that up)

Well, if you made it up, it sure feels like it was true.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The Case IH Redzone thing. If that annoying thing is being played on the video board a bunch, it is a good thing.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
No more of that stat that said we scored a TD or FG most of the times when we got to the red-zone. It was irrelevant, as we could almost never get there!

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
The Case IH Redzone thing. If that annoying thing is being played on the video board a bunch, it is a good thing.

I can't remember which game it happened, but they played that promo right when ISU crossed the 20 yard line facing a fourth-and-one situation. My brother and I just looked at each other and started laughing.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Wouldn't it be nice to see us go over the top on plays early in drives, see the opposing defense adjust, only to see our offense change pace and pick them apart underneath?

Put a different way, I want to see a proactive offense. One where the opposition has to adjust to us. Would like to see a plan.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I want to see us be smart on both sides of the ball.

Defensively, that means I want to see guys in the right position to make plays, and then of course make them. Also tackle smart too. Use good fundamentally sound tackling skills instead of trying to make the big hit and not getting them down on the ground at all.

Offensively it means that I want to see an offense that attacks the weak spot of the defense and enforces their will on the defense, not the other way around.

Nothing ticked me off more last year than in the UNI game running our starting QB more often than all the rest of our RBs combined! Why? We are the Big 12 team and they are the FCS team, not the other way around. We don't let their defense dictate to us what we have to do. Hand the ball off to your RBs and let them do their thing. Throw the ball to your WRs and let them do their thing. But don't let UNI dictate to you that you will HAVE to run your QB to death in order to beat us. And we did run Sam nearly to death and he wasn't the same the rest of the year.

And then against Iowa, everyone and their grandma knew going in to that game that Iowa was great against the run and were susceptible to the pass. But Mess decides in that game that he's going to try to establish the run for 3 quarters and he gets nowhere. Then, when the game is finally out of reach, he decides to test Iowa's secondary, and we all saw what happened. But of course we'll never know what might have happened had we tested their secondary all night long, will we?

Just play smarter than the other team this year on both sides. Because in most of our games we will not be the more talented or physically dominant team. We will have to play smart to win games we're not supposed to.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Our offense play up to their potential.

Wally call a run defense against running teams. Not giving a 10 yd cushion to any of NDSU, Iowa or Kstates WR not named Lockett. Putting a safety in the box against all 3 of those teams the majority of 1st and 2nd downs. We know the Dline is bad load the box, take out the hybrid LB/S and play a hard tackling LB and stop the run against teams that need to run. Play the bend and break zone against spread teams, and go for turnovers.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Our offense play up to their potential.

Wally call a run defense against running teams. Not giving a 10 yd cushion to any of NDSU, Iowa or Kstates WR not named Lockett. Putting a safety in the box against all 3 of those teams the majority of 1st and 2nd downs. We know the Dline is bad load the box, take out the hybrid LB/S and play a hard tackling LB and stop the run against teams that need to run. Play the bend and break zone against spread teams, and go for turnovers.
Get your resume ready for when Wally retires sometime in the next 2-3 years I'm guessing.