Rhoads goes in-depth on recruiting

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
This. It doesn't matter how athletic a guy is rushing the passer at DT if they can't hold up in the run game. If a team is running it down your throat, they don't need to pass. And then they can dictate to the D by going deep with play action.

Last year they had a couple of pluggers at NT and two athletic flakes at DT. They got ran all over. They had to know that there was a good chance that Irving and Coe might not be back...because those two guys were idiots. So what do they do? Sign 4 JC DEs and hope to grow one of them into a DT. And zero HS DTs or NTs. Makes no sense. And what makes less sense is that UNI has had a better DL than ISU for the better part of the last decade. Someone needs to evaluate better. And then fill the numbers. If you can't get an athletic freak, at least sign someone who can hold the LOS.

They wouldn't over a year long Big 12 schedule. You may it in the first game of the year when everyone is fresh that they are effective but by about week 4 in the Big 12 they would be getting their faces kicked in.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Interesting to hear his thoughts on this. ISU is a tough spot

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if you got a Nick Saban to come coach at ISU. Say I had enough money to offer him a billion per year. Would you see an overnight improvement? Gradual improvement? Nothing?

Saban comes with a cache that few other names would bring with him. He has the pedigree that would get him into a lot of doors that few other coaches have. Doesn't matter anyway because he ain't coming here.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
The problem with recruiting DT is that ISU tries to target speed at that position when we could just put in space eaters.

Same concept has failed on the Oline for a long time. We target quick Olinemen for a spread attack when the midwest is full of big kids w/o speed. Getting to the second level as a blocker only works if someone makes it past the first level.

Not true.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Also CPR said those guys that can be effective right off the bat in the middle of a D-Line don't grow on trees and even if they did, it would be hard to get them to come to ISU. So that leaves us with 3 options: 1. Knuckleheads/ or people not academically gifted aka: Coe, Irving and Quenton Pompey 2. People that we develop: Jordan Carstens, Jake Mcdonough
3. Undersized motor guys : Brent Curvey, Nick Leaders.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I am with CW in I wish some of the people on here would lay off the football program and last year. CPR made the necessary changes on the offensive side of the ball and brought in a potential homerun in Mangino. Terry Ayeni has already brought in what look to be a couple of quality running backs. Also the O line and skill players on the side of the ball look to have some talent. Can we at least play the 1st game before making some of these comments. Frankly IMO they are embarrassing to me because CPR/Jamie Pollard are working their tails off to try and make us a winner.

I remember sitting in the stands at JTS in 2000 the whole year and we were 9-3, the attendance numbers were atrocious for a good football team, and thinking where are the people, they are missing out. I couldn't understand it. Now we are selling out/ expanding the stadium, have very nice facilities with passionate people in charge of the program and lot of people on here are trying to tear them down. This is after bowl games 3 out of the last 5 years at ISU. Granted they weren't the best showings or the nicest bowl games but its not like CPR is Jim Walden and ISU has sucked his entire tenure. 1 year went bad and CPR cleaned out the problems and people are already turning on him. Like in 2000 I don't understand it.

Reactions: CyBobby

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This. It doesn't matter how athletic a guy is rushing the passer at DT if they can't hold up in the run game. If a team is running it down your throat, they don't need to pass. And then they can dictate to the D by going deep with play action.

Last year they had a couple of pluggers at NT and two athletic flakes at DT. They got ran all over. They had to know that there was a good chance that Irving and Coe might not be back...because those two guys were idiots. So what do they do? Sign 4 JC DEs and hope to grow one of them into a DT. And zero HS DTs or NTs. Makes no sense. And what makes less sense is that UNI has had a better DL than ISU for the better part of the last decade. Someone needs to evaluate better. And then fill the numbers. If you can't get an athletic freak, at least sign someone who can hold the LOS.

What high school defensive tackle or nose tackle would you have suggested he sign instead?

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I am with CW in I wish some of the people on here would lay off the football program and last year. CPR made the necessary changes on the offensive side of the ball and brought in a potential homerun in Mangino. Terry Ayeni has already brought in what look to be a couple of quality running backs. Also the O line and skill players on the side of the ball look to have some talent. Can we at least play the 1st game before making some of these comments. Frankly IMO they are embarrassing to me because CPR/Jamie Pollard are working their tails off to try and make us a winner.

I remember sitting in the stands at JTS in 2000 the whole year and we were 9-3, the attendance numbers were atrocious for a good football team, and thinking where are the people, they are missing out. I couldn't understand it. Now we are selling out/ expanding the stadium, have very nice facilities with passionate people in charge of the program and lot of people on here are trying to tear them down. This is after bowl games 3 out of the last 5 years at ISU. Granted they weren't the best showings or the nicest bowl games but its not like CPR is Jim Walden and ISU has sucked his entire tenure. 1 year went bad and CPR cleaned out the problems and people are already turning on him. Like in 2000 I don't understand it.

1. He made a program killing hire at OC (Mess)
2. He made a near program killing hire at OL coach (CK)
3. He refuses to be innovative at a school that has to be in recruiting and branding (Smoke on the freaking water?/not on twitter in 2014?)
4. Disaster season in year number 5 (shouldn't happen)
5. Losing record overall
6. KSU and Baylor both with much less tradition than even ISU winning the last two Big 12 championships (it CAN be done here and it's absurd to say otherwise)
7. Picked to finish 9th this year
8. Lose to UNI in year 5

God, I'm sure I sound like a total *** but these are all facts here...and I could have kept going. Look, I love CPR in spite of my complaints but the fanbase can't put it's head in the sand as to the direction of the program since the night we beat OSU. I appreciate opptimisim but nobody should be surprised by the snark around here.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
3. He refuses to be innovative at a school that has to be in recruiting and branding (Smoke on the freaking water?/not on twitter in 2014?)
5. Losing record overall
6. KSU and Baylor both with much less tradition than even ISU winning the last two Big 12 championships (it CAN be done here and it's absurd to say otherwise)
8. Lose to UNI in year 5

God, I'm sure I sound like a total *** but these are all facts here...and I could have kept going. Look, I love CPR in spite of my complaints but the fanbase can't put it's head in the sand as to the direction of the program since the night we beat OSU. I appreciate opptimisim but nobody should be surprised by the snark around here.

1. Nobody else wanted the job, trust me on this one.
2. Klenakis had the pedigree, didn't work out
3.Whatever
4. Rebuilding happens at every program, Iowa 2012, like it or not they have a better program than us and had a much easier schedule than we did last year that year.
5. Best record in the 1st 5 years of any coach in ISU history
6. Baylor and KSU have less tradition than us? Really might want to check the history books. KSU has been good with Snyder for a while now. And yes it can be done here I agree.
7. Opinions of sports writers don't mean ****, when weren't we picked to finish near the bottom in the last 100 years
8. no excuse for UNI last year.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
5. Losing record overall
8. Lose to UNI in year 5

#1 & 2--This is all bs. You have the luxury of hindsight to judge his mistakes. You, I and nobody else knew how Messingham, Kleinakis or any of the other coaching hires he made would work out at the time they were made.

#3--who ******* cares? He's the head coach, he doesn't need to be on twitter. Most of his assistants who do the bulk of the recruiting are on twitter. This has got to be one of the dumbest complaints to make the rounds lately. Really, REALLY reaching with it.

#4--that is your judgement, there is no written or unwritten rule about when a bad season should or shouldn't happen. See: Iowa in 2012. Florida last year. Texas in 2010. And so on and so on.

#5--How long have you been an ISU football fan?

#6--If you can't understand the difference between those 2 programs and ISU's circumstances, you should just start following one of them instead.

#7--Like every other year the last 4 decades.

#8--Your idol bill snyder lost to NDSU in year 400 or whatever century he is in now.

Who is putting their head in the sand? Just because some of us choose to be optimistic and not dwell on one bad season doesn't mean we are ignoring what happened last year. It's just that some of us can take the season in context of the bigger picture and decide not to jump off the cliff because of it. If you can't weather a bad season every so often, you are following the wrong team.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
You lose all validity by saying 'program killing', and bringing up the intro music! Seriously, the intro music and all of that makes no difference whatsoever. The program and all the improvements being done, etc. looks pretty damn healthy to me. The sold out parking lots, etc. look pretty good to me. Maybe you're the vocal vast minority who needs something to ***** about everyday.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
3.Whatever
4. Rebuilding happens at every program, Iowa 2012, like it or not they have a better program than us and had a much easier schedule than we did last year that year.
6. Baylor and KSU have less tradition than us? Really might want to check the history books. KSU has been good with Snyder for a while now. And yes it can be done here I agree.
7. Opinions of sports writers don't mean ****, when weren't we picked to finish near the bottom in the last 100 years

Ok, you mean to tell me that after the debacle that was Gene Chizik CPR managed to hire a hot up and coming coach (Herman) and then after he uses ISU as a stepping stone to OHIO STATE nobody wanted the job? After coming off 2 bowl games in 3 years? After all the momentum the program was buidling? Nobody?? I don't buy that for one second. CPR just got Mark Mangino to coach and the program is on MUCH shakier ground today than it was in 2012..by a long shot.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Ok, you mean to tell me that after the debacle that was Gene Chizik CPR managed to hire a hot up and coming coach (Herman) and then after he uses ISU as a stepping stone to OHIO STATE nobody wanted the job? After coming off 2 bowl games in 3 years? After all the momentum the program was buidling? Nobody?? I don't buy that for one second. CPR just got Mark Mangino to coach and the program is on MUCH shakier ground today than it was in 2012..by a long shot.

Buy what you want, Tom Herman is considered to be a high quality offensive coordinator and he failed at ISU that's what potential guys were seeing. Just the facts.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
#1 & 2--This is all bs. You have the luxury of hindsight to judge his mistakes. You, I and nobody else knew how Messingham, Kleinakis or any of the other coaching hires he made would work out at the time they were made.

#3--who ******* cares? He's the head coach, he doesn't need to be on twitter. Most of his assistants who do the bulk of the recruiting are on twitter. This has got to be one of the dumbest complaints to make the rounds lately. Really, REALLY reaching with it.

#4--that is your judgement, there is no written or unwritten rule about when a bad season should or shouldn't happen. See: Iowa in 2012. Florida last year. Texas in 2010. And so on and so on.

#5--How long have you been an ISU football fan?

#6--If you can't understand the difference between those 2 programs and ISU's circumstances, you should just start following one of them instead.

#7--Like every other year the last 4 decades.

#8--Your idol bill snyder lost to NDSU in year 400 or whatever century he is in now.

Who is putting their head in the sand? Just because some of us choose to be optimistic and not dwell on one bad season doesn't mean we are ignoring what happened last year. It's just that some of us can take the season in context of the bigger picture and decide not to jump off the cliff because of it. If you can't weather a bad season every so often, you are following the wrong team.

He doesn't need hindsight to judge the Messingham hire. Lots of people thought that was a bad hire as soon as it happened.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
He doesn't need hindsight to judge the Messingham hire. Lots of people thought that was a bad hire as soon as it happened.

I wasn't a big fan of it either, but we weren't absolutely terrible in his first year. The hiring of Kleinakis, at the time, looked like a solid hire too.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
3.Whatever

Not a bad rebuttal, but the bottom line we are still young and inexperienced and are expected to win only four games. We have watched for five years and that is a fair assessment.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
"Just because some of us choose to be optimistic and not dwell on one bad season doesn't mean we are ignoring what happened last year. It's just that some of us can take the season in context of the bigger picture and decide not to jump off the cliff because of it. If you can't weather a bad season every so often, you are following the wrong team."

I don't know if he's calling the program a dumpster fire. Just that he isn't excited about this coming season and that IF (and I don't think anybody wants this) CPR goes 2-10, 3-9 this season he should be on the hot seat.

Personally, I'll start getting excited when we find a QB who can hit an open receiver. Too many open receivers were missed last year and in the spring game IMO

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Thanks cyclonevet for your post. While I disagree that CPR could not find anyone better than Messingham the rest of your points are spot on.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Someone should bring up McCarney...that'd really add something to this discussion....

woman-throws-grenade.gif