Rhoads goes in-depth on recruiting

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Someone should bring up McCarney...that'd really add something to this discussion....

woman-throws-grenade.gif

Can we debate Mac's uniform choices? The white face mask and disco pant stripes were grounds for termination

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think there are plenty of kids from this state that could become great defensive lineman. The problem is finding someone that is ambitious at the age of 17/18 years, with Big 12 work ethic, intelligence, integrity. Finding that all wrapped into a 6'4'' frame is difficult not even considering the other difficulties we already have with recruiting here.

I agree with Rhoads when he claims 'getting parents to the campus' will make a difference in recruiting. ISU was rated #3 most beautiful campus when I was in school. Combine that with the academics and the great facilities that they have there now, shouldn't be hard to get more kids on board. Especially for kids that have a tendency to get 'distracted' or 'big headed' because this town offers far less opportunities for those sorts of issues.

I'm no super veteran of this football program, but I have been watching for nearly 25 years now, and I can tell all the people with a harsh opinion of Rhoads that we are truly blessed to have someone like him here. Same goes for Pollard. Look at what they have accomplished while they have been here for the program. No we aren't winning as much as we would like to be, but what's new? There is no way that we can become worse with all the improvements we are making. It will come, and there's a reason Pollard signed Rhoads to his contract for so long, because he doesn't want another Chizik situation. Rhoads could easily be gone to another D1 program if he chose to be.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Not a bad rebuttal, but the bottom line we are still young and inexperienced and are expected to win only four games. We have watched for five years and that is a fair assessment.

There has to be some potential shown this year. Signs of progress and development of CPR's recruits in the weight room and from coaching on the practice field have to be there. You can't have back to back debacles in year 5 and year 6 of your regime. My hunch is we see some positive surprises on defense. Offense could be special if QB position solidifies. I still haven't forgotten those good road wins at Texas, TT, TCU and Nebby. OSU win is ancient history, but still resonates. CPR still has "it" factor in my eyes. I think he and his team deliver above expectations this year.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I found the tantrums hilarious in yesterday's thread about uniform color. As if being one of 100+ schools without crazy uniforms is a coaching deal-breaker. Since most 18 year old sit at home thinking about schools going, "man, I love that coach but I wish they had pink uniforms...I look great in pink."

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
1. He made a program killing hire at OC (Mess)
2. He made a near program killing hire at OL coach (CK)
3. He refuses to be innovative at a school that has to be in recruiting and branding (Smoke on the freaking water?/not on twitter in 2014?)
4. Disaster season in year number 5 (shouldn't happen)
5. Losing record overall
6. KSU and Baylor both with much less tradition than even ISU winning the last two Big 12 championships (it CAN be done here and it's absurd to say otherwise)
7. Picked to finish 9th this year
8. Lose to UNI in year 5

God, I'm sure I sound like a total *** but these are all facts here...and I could have kept going. Look, I love CPR in spite of my complaints but the fanbase can't put it's head in the sand as to the direction of the program since the night we beat OSU. I appreciate opptimisim but nobody should be surprised by the snark around here.

In the words of the esteemed prophet, Gary Coleman... What you talkin' 'bout, Willis??

You really think we have the more tradition than KSU and Baylor? First, spend some time on Google. Then go find an atlas. Tell me if you see any differences between Baylor and us. Finally, use Rivals/Scout and check out the home states of 4 & 5* HS talent. Compare Kansas, Texas, and Iowa.

Interested to know your findings. (I know the answers but since you like dropping "facts" like you did above, I thought you might like to share.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
In the words of the esteemed prophet, Gary Coleman... What you talkin' 'bout, Willis??

You really think we have the more tradition than KSU and Baylor? First, spend some time on Google. Then go find an atlas. Tell me if you see any differences between Baylor and us. Finally, use Rivals/Scout and check out the home states of 4 & 5* HS talent. Compare Kansas, Texas, and Iowa.

Interested to know your findings. (I know the answers but since you like dropping "facts" like you did above, I thought you might like to share.

lol buddy you just set it on the tee for me...you think Baylor has a better tradition than ISU? You can't be serious. Let me go ahead and put a link in here but if you are not in the mood to see how wrong you are I'll make it simple.

In Baylors first 12 years (pre Briles) in the Big 12 they won 11 conference games. Let that sink in....11 wins...in 12 years. They averaged less than a win a year for 12 years. They didn't go to their first bowl game as a Big 12 member until 2010. Did the state of Texas not have talent those years? Did Baylor not have recruits within driving distance? Of course they did...Baylor got a really good coach. That is the difference.

I have no intention of being the guy that pisses and moans about CPR all on on CF so I'm out with this...but Paul not being on Twitter and not caring about fun uniforms and mixing it up doesn't matter to some of you. Bill King, one of the most respected recruiting guys in college football, has said and I quote "if your coach isn't on twitter he is absolutely doing it wrong".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baylor_Bears_football_seasons

Last edited:

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
lol buddy you just set it on the tee for me...you think Baylor has a better tradition than ISU? You can't be serious. Let me go ahead and put a link in here but if you are not in the mood to see how wrong you are I'll make it simple.

In Baylors first 12 years (pre Briles) in the Big 12 they won 11 conference games. Let that sink in....11 wins...in 12 years. They averaged less than a win a year for 12 years. They didn't go to their first bowl game as a Big 12 member until 2010. Did the state of Texas not have talent those years? Did Baylor not have recruits within driving distance? Of course they did...Baylor got a really good coach. That is the difference.

I have no intention of being the guy that pisses and moans about CPR all on on CF so I'm out with this...but Paul not being on Twitter and not caring about fun uniforms and mixing it up doesn't matter to some of you. Bill King, one of the most respected recruiting guys in college football, has said and I quote "if your coach isn't on twitter he is absolutely doing it wrong".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baylor_Bears_football_seasons

Sorry. I wasn't aware that tradition only went back to 1995. I guess I thought it went back, you know, a little farther. I guess I thought them having 15 seasons ranked in Top 25 and 20 bowl games (10-10) was better than how we have finished in the Top 25 twice and are 3-9 in bowl games. Not to mention they have won 8 conference titles since we won our last one in 1912.

Yep. Pretty equal, I guess. Silly me. I thought maybe they played football earlier than 1995.

Edit: Thanks for the link. Yeah, finishing a season with 8 or more wins 18 times since 1915 would suck. Good thing we have only done it 5 times in that same span. Whew! Seems like we are better.

Last edited:

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
CPR is making excuses for Shane. How is it that ISU has almost completely failed in recruiting, retaining, developing DTs while EIU consistently has been exceptional? I hate having to say this. McDonough is the only success in 5 years and I'm not sure how well coached he was. I remember he had 3 consecutive offsides against KSU and had to be taken out of the game as a senior.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
CPR is making excuses for Shane. How is it that ISU has almost completely failed in recruiting, retaining, developing DTs while EIU consistently has been exceptional? I hate having to say this. McDonough is the only success in 5 years and I'm not sure how well coached he was. I remember he had 3 consecutive offsides against KSU and had to be taken out of the game as a senior.

Couple things: Do you really think the situation Shane stepped into at ISU is the same as at EIU? That place out east consistently has developed good DT for years, and recruits see that. Similiar situation to what we see on the OLine. Secondly, Rump and definitely can't be left off the list of successes and Cleyon Lang was a good College DT too. Lastly, Coaches recruit geographic areas. It's not that Shane is responsible for country-wide DT recruiting.