Rhoads goes in-depth on recruiting

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Probably even harder when you consider Paul does all his communication via the post office, smoke signal, and carrier pigeon, since he is so traditional and doesn't believe in new-fangled ideas like electricity.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Probably even harder when you consider Paul does all his communication via the post office, smoke signal, and carrier pigeon, since he is so traditional and doesn't believe in new-fangled ideas like electricity.

ISU has every reason in the world to be innovative with it's recruiting and branding yet.....

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sorry for the snarky response Chris, it was a very good article, I'm still just a little taken a bake by the quotes from yesterday.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Sorry for the snarky response Chris, it was a very good article, I'm still just a little taken a bake by the quotes from yesterday.

It's fine. I've come to expect it anymore. Not specifically from you, just, from everybody. Doesn't bother me. I just don't like it when folks who still want to be positive towards the program feel like they can't contribute anymore. I've had two people email me and say they are done with the board this week alone because of the snark.

Oh well. Clones just need to win some games.

Reactions: CyBobby

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I had no idea the school couldn't pay for the parents to come on the recruiting visits. I always assumed that would be paid for.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It's fine. I've come to expect it anymore. Not specifically from you, just, from everybody. Doesn't bother me. I just don't like it when folks who still want to be positive towards the program feel like they can't contribute anymore. I've had two people email me and say they are done with the board this week alone because of the snark.

LOL. Life is full of snark. Hell Im a contributor a lot of the time....probably some in this sentence. Dangit, I just cant quit!

Dont be quitters folks. Its a message board. It consists of all kinds. Its beautiful even when its frustrating.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

Yep, winning solves all. I think when you look at how innovative Fred is, with the success he has had, then you look at CPR who seems very stuck in his ways with minimal success it's just a double edged sword.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
LOL. Life is full of snark. Hell Im a contributor a lot of the time....probably some in this sentence. Dangit, I just cant quit!

Dont be quitters folks. Its a message board. It consists of all kinds. Its beautiful even when its frustrating.

I agree completely. The medium is what it is. Go 3-9 and fans will be unhappy. Go 9-3 and they will want to build a statue in your honor. Simple as that.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
The one thing about CPR that I really respect though is his accountability. For example, when he talks about the leadership council he admitted that he was failing in his leadership some ways, so he took steps to address it.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I hear it pays to cheat. Straight from Bob's mouth

Time to tape some bills to the bottom of the dessert bowls at Hickery Park. Throw around some "Hundred Dollar Sundaes" and win some games

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I agree completely. The medium is what it is. Go 3-9 and fans will be unhappy. Go 9-3 and they will want to build a statue in your honor. Simple as that.

That's true, but there's more to it than that. Go 9-3 and they will want to build a statue in your honor, but they will be unhappy about the way it looks, and try to tear it down at the first sign of something going wrong.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
That's true, but there's more to it than that. Go 9-3 and they will want to build a statue in your honor, but they will be unhappy about the way it looks, and try to tear it down at the first sign of something going wrong.

How about the cyclones get to 9-3 first and then we will see about the statue?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

Is it a matte finish?

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
The problem with recruiting DT is that ISU tries to target speed at that position when we could just put in space eaters.

Same concept has failed on the Oline for a long time. We target quick Olinemen for a spread attack when the midwest is full of big kids w/o speed. Getting to the second level as a blocker only works if someone makes it past the first level.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Interesting to hear his thoughts on this. ISU is a tough spot

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if you got a Nick Saban to come coach at ISU. Say I had enough money to offer him a billion per year. Would you see an overnight improvement? Gradual improvement? Nothing?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Interesting to hear his thoughts on this. ISU is a tough spot

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if you got a Nick Saban to come coach at ISU. Say I had enough money to offer him a billion per year. Would you see an overnight improvement? Gradual improvement? Nothing?

Saban would not do that great at ISU. Those are just the facts. He'd probably have a couple seasons of 8 or 9 wins but settle in to the 5-7 wins a year mode once the shine wore off.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The problem with recruiting DT is that ISU tries to target speed at that position when we could just put in space eaters.

Same concept has failed on the Oline for a long time. We target quick Olinemen for a spread attack when the midwest is full of big kids w/o speed. Getting to the second level as a blocker only works if someone makes it past the first level.

This. It doesn't matter how athletic a guy is rushing the passer at DT if they can't hold up in the run game. If a team is running it down your throat, they don't need to pass. And then they can dictate to the D by going deep with play action.

Last year they had a couple of pluggers at NT and two athletic flakes at DT. They got ran all over. They had to know that there was a good chance that Irving and Coe might not be back...because those two guys were idiots. So what do they do? Sign 4 JC DEs and hope to grow one of them into a DT. And zero HS DTs or NTs. Makes no sense. And what makes less sense is that UNI has had a better DL than ISU for the better part of the last decade. Someone needs to evaluate better. And then fill the numbers. If you can't get an athletic freak, at least sign someone who can hold the LOS.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
ISU has every reason in the world to be innovative with it's recruiting and branding yet.....

This. If you can't lean on tradition or doing things the old fashioned way, be innovative and exciting. No idea what the benefit is of being stuck in the mud.

Help Support Us

Become a patron