Commish Bowlsby and What's Next for the "Big 5"

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
In the wake of Big 12 Commisioner Bob Bowlsby's opening remarks for Big 12 Media Days 2013, "Big 5" has become synonymous with what some would say is inevitable change in major college athletics. As Big 12 Media Days 2014 unfolds begining tomorrow, I, for one, plan to listen carefully to what commisioner Bob Bowlsby has to say.

Bowlsby is establishing himself as possibly the boldest, most articulate leader among the Big 5 conference commissioners. True to his native Iowan heritage, he does not hesitate to just say what needs to be said. He is also in an excellent position to do exactly that. Bowlsby, being the "new kid on the block", lacks the baggage of the more established comissioners, so has more room to risk making controversial comments. Having survived the 2010 near death experience, the Big 12 has the least to lose in the Big 5 discussion. At the same time, Bowlsby's conference also has the most to gain by being assumed "on the bubble in" with creation of a Division 4 , or whatever it may be called.

In listening to his remarks this week, keep in mind that in early August, Bowlsby is heading up a Forum on the State of College Athletics in New York. With an intriguing slate of panelists, including the Texas and KSU ADs, I am also looking forward to see how that plays out. In the press releases leading up to this discussion, they don't come right out and say what's the agenda, so the timing of Big 12 Media Days 2014 gives Bowlsby a means to set the table for that Forum.

So I am left to wonder, where is all this headed? What impact will it have on the future of the conference? And if the Big 5 makes the break from the FBS, to whom will they turn for leadership?

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'll always follow Iowa State because of my dedication to my university, but if there truly is a split with the power 5 conferences, my following of "college" football outside of Iowa State will cease to exist.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I'll always follow Iowa State because of my dedication to my university, but if there truly is a split with the power 5 conferences, my following of "college" football outside of Iowa State will cease to exist.

Why?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Once they've finished off any last vestige of pretending that it's an amateur game, it's just a younger version of the NFL. I can watch that anytime.

It's just a rich getting richer thing here. Non-profit college sports was, theoretically, not supposed to be all about the money.

I'd check out of most college football, too. That may or may not include our own team here.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Once they've finished off any last vestige of pretending that it's an amateur game, it's just a younger version of the NFL. I can watch that anytime.

It's just a rich getting richer thing here. Non-profit college sports was, theoretically, not supposed to be all about the money.

I'd check out of most college football, too. That may or may not include our own team here.

Its been about the money for a long time. Its all about the money now. Nothing will change that.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
And I watch a lot less college football since realignment happened. I can go pretty easily with one game or less each week.

Its still the same game now as before. I watch less now than 10 years ago also but it has more to due with time than anything.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Its still the same game now as before. I watch less now than 10 years ago also but it has more to due with time than anything.

Now the lack of competitive balance is more and more obvious as the money keeps growing.
If the Big 5 only sort of thing happens, the bottom feeders won't even see mediocre anymore. I'm just less excited about the game when it's rigged enough already. I can't see the Big 5 splitting off making it more enticing.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I've noticed I seem to watch less and less college football every year. Still watch a good amount though.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Now the lack of competitive balance is more and more obvious as the money keeps growing.
If the Big 5 only sort of thing happens, the bottom feeders won't even see mediocre anymore. I'm just less excited about the game when it's rigged enough already. I can't see the Big 5 splitting off making it more enticing.

Can you go deeper into this?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Can you go deeper into this?

Facilities and the great spending races.
I think those of us on the lower rungs are locked into spending money we don't have in order to pretend we can compete with resources we can't match.

If this develops into further expenses of some kind, that gap just keeps growing.

College football is about haves and have nots. If you haven't been a have, and we haven't, it's not about to happen. You just keep throwing mountains of money at a target you can't hit.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

What about the competition will change?

Money spent on a program doesn't make them a great program. There is a lot of money spent in some programs to get average ok results.

If you spent Texas money at ISU on football would that make ISU mirror Texas in football. Hell no way more goes on in football than the money. If you put everything equal between Texas and ISU, given the choice what team would players chose to play for?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Facilities and the great spending races.
I think those of us on the lower rungs are locked into spending money we don't have in order to pretend we can compete with resources we can't match.

If this develops into further expenses of some kind, that gap just keeps growing.

College football is about haves and have nots. If you haven't been a have, and we haven't, it's not about to happen. You just keep throwing mountains of money at a target you can't hit.

We won't be able to match finances with the Texas's, Oklahoma's, Alabama's, and Ohio State's. But we are getting some pretty good money right now to make needed upgrades. We are expanding our stadium to hold 61,000 people and it looks likely that we will be selling it out on a consistent basis.

So we are spending a lot of money. But we are actually bringing in a lot of money. Look at our facilities from 20 years ago and look at them today. The ones who really have to worry are the mid-majors not a part of the Power 5 Conferences. They are doomed. Which is why an Independent like BYU is panicking right now.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

Money spent on a program doesn't make them a great program. There is a lot of money spent in some programs to get average ok results.

If you spent Texas money at ISU on football would that make ISU mirror Texas in football. Hell no way more goes on in football than the money. If you put everything equal between Texas and ISU, given the choice what team would players chose to play for?

Texas, 9.5 times out of 10. I'll leave room for that .5 to be born here in Iowa.
If you equal out the money, historical success still leaves Texas dominant in that phase of things.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

I don't know why you think there's less competitive balance now. Things seem much more competitive to me now than the OU/Neb days in the Big 8. I think there's 4 or 5 teams with a chance to win the Big 12 this year.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Erik will have to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think his point is that it only gets worse for schools like ISU (and Iowa) if this goes to P5-only. Like you said (or at least implied), if all things are equal, kids will go to Texas over ISU. But all things aren't equal. ISU is already throwing money at a target they can't hit (to use Erik's phrase), but if the gap keeps getting wider, they're either going to hurt themselves by spending even more, or they'll just have to stop giving a **** and stop trying. Neither option is good, for the school or the fans.

Reactions: CycloneErik

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
I think people are over reacting. I do miss the old big 12 too and wish we still played Colorado, Nebraska, and missouri primarily because they are mid west states that we share a lot of values and similarities with, not to mention borders with Missouri and Nebraska. But realignment will not ruin college sports imho it will be this pay to play crap. So freaking stupid

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So I am left to wonder, where is all this headed? What impact will it have on the future of the conference? And if the Big 5 makes the break from the FBS, to whom will they turn for leadership?

Bowlsby had a great talk last year: introducing the concept of a "Division 4" without actually detailing any plans or leadership to explore this as a viable option. He made the Big 12 the flagship conference to drive for change without any real plan in place.

My guess is another vague statement about change either at the NCAA or Division 4 level without detailing anything, but will generate speculation from major columnists until the season kicks-off.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't know why you think there's less competitive balance now. Things seem much more competitive to me now than the OU/Neb days in the Big 8. I think there's 4 or 5 teams with a chance to win the Big 12 this year.

you ou could use Neb's peak and ISU's deepest valley as an example of when college football was probably the least balanced