Our D - better than advertised

MrWillard

Apr 30, 2014
Been thinking about this. Everyone frets about our 2014 defense, too inexperienced. True. But . . .the worst enemy of a defense is not the opposing offense, it's their own offense. We led the nation in three-and-outs last year. One game, we went an entire first half with only 1 first down. No defense can survive with that kind of field position, and time of possession. So, let's say our O is significantly better this year, cuts three-and-outs in half. That's 10 yards of average field position, 5 minutes of time of possession (I did the math). That's 100 yards a game in performance of our defense, just because of our offense. One or two touchdown swing, with really the same talent and productivity of D. Gives me some hope for surprise improvement in our D. Anybody buying this?

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
I see where you're coming from, but the Baylor offense last year truly was our defense's worst enemy.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Been thinking about this. Everyone frets about our 2014 defense, too inexperienced. True. But . . .the worst enemy of a defense is not the opposing offense, it's their own offense. We led the nation in three-and-outs last year. One game, we went an entire first half with only 1 first down. No defense can survive with that kind of field position, and time of possession. So, let's say our O is significantly better this year, cuts three-and-outs in half. That's 10 yards of average field position, 5 minutes of time of possession (I did the math). That's 100 yards a game in performance of our defense, just because of our offense. One or two touchdown swing, with really the same talent and productivity of D. Gives me some hope for surprise improvement in our D. Anybody buying this?

Thanks, Shane. I have said before that for every five yards our offense can accumulate, that is probably five yards the defense does not yield. Since we do not give up very many long plays, we need to become better offensively on our first three plays after we get the ball back. No more up the middle one yard stuffs.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
"our O is significantly better this year"

"With really the same talent and productivity of D"

You theory depends on these being true.... I would say the above are false

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the defense ends up being solid and the offense struggles. That's just how it's worked the past several years...

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City

Don't know if it's true, but I like your attitude. Regardless, offensive play affects defensive and vice versa.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
I think we're going to have growing pains on defense throughout the year. But I think, too, by the end of the year our defense will not be as bad as most think. And I agree, improvement on the offensive side of the ball will help our defense. I don't know about the 5 yards of offense = 5 less yards given up on defense...you still have to get stops.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think we're going to have growing pains on defense throughout the year. But I think, too, by the end of the year our defense will not be as bad as most think. And I agree, improvement on the offensive side of the ball will help our defense. I don't know about the 5 yards of offense = 5 less yards given up on defense...you still have to get stops.
Looking at our past years back to 2000, the tradeoffs of offense yardage earned vs defensive yards allowed. It really looks like the better you do on offense, the better the defense might do for the game. Perhaps saying differential in yardage is a better indicator. When the differential for Them vs Us on offense/defense goes over 60 yards, our win loss record has not been so good. If we do more yards on offense those first three downs, the better the results on defense. Kirby was faced last year with several long punting situations with our many three and outs and, for some reason, he did not do as well as the previous year.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I agree I think the defense will play much better. I don't think people realize how much the offense helps/hurts the defense... And in more ways than just one. There's enough talent to be good. They are taller, stronger, and faster than the players CPR and Wally originally inherited, but I understand the logic they can't be any good I guess.

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014
I look for the defense to be no worse than last year. Improvements to the offense will make the "D" appear improved in some games. The high powered offenses of the conference will still smoke us.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Looking at our past years back to 2000, the tradeoffs of offense yardage earned vs defensive yards allowed. It really looks like the better you do on offense, the better the defense might do for the game. Perhaps saying differential in yardage is a better indicator. When the differential for Them vs Us on offense/defense goes over 60 yards, our win loss record has not been so good. If we do more yards on offense those first three downs, the better the results on defense. Kirby was faced last year with several long punting situations with our many three and outs and, for some reason, he did not do as well as the previous year.

Just as likely that the opposite is true. The better you do on defense, the better the offense performs. Better starting field position for the offense results in a more open playbook and better scoring chances.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Pretty easy math. For every minute the offense is on the field, the defense is resting and not giving up yardage or points to the other team. For every yard gained by the offense, that is one more yard the defense has behind its back. For every point the offense scores, the less pressure there is on the defense (Baylor principle). The inverse is just as true and that is how our team has lived the past couple of years.

Bigbobhoss

Sep 14, 2013
San Francisco
Totally agree. The last few, we have had an extraordinary number of 3 and outs. Even when the defense was holding us in it for the first portion of games, they would wear down. I am excited to see what they can do, when they have fresher legs and more time to get coached up on the sidelines.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Last year, the defense was about equally atrocious to the offense, failing to stop teams repeatedly even before the offense took the field to do their failing thing.

I'm not sure what to expect either way, but it's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that the defense plays better this year. It's too early to rule them out right now.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Last year, the defense was about equally atrocious to the offense, failing to stop teams repeatedly even before the offense took the field to do their failing thing.

I'm not sure what to expect either way, but it's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that the defense plays better this year. It's too early to rule them out right now.
I agree with this. Don't agree with OP

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
The offense could make the defense look better than it is by moving the ball consistently. Talent wise I don't see our D being good this year. Running teams are going to abuse our front 7. Technically 6 since we play at a safety at OLB even against running teams for some reason. Iowa and Kstate are going to run at will on us, if we win those games it's all on turnovers or our offense getting it done.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Our offense had nothing to do with making UNI's running back look like Adrian Peterson last year.