**** Haws recent thoughts on Bubu Palo

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The findings of fact, yes. The conclusions of law, no.

I think if you go back and read some of Leath's own public statements he says he basically agreed with the findings of the ALJ, but not the way he applied the ruling. The ruling was that the evidence was not sufficient to show a student code violation, so just not sure what Leath meant by those public statements. Maybe it makes sense to a lawyer but seems like a contradiction to me. Some in the administration have certainly used the media to paint BuBu as a pretty bad character and if they can prove that in court, it's time to get to the truth. If they can prove nothing more than what the county attorney and ALJ had, then some people in the administration may be on the hot seat. But if BuBu knows he's innocent of the charges, why wouldn't he and his family try to recover the tens of thousands spent on legal fees and try to clear his name as best they can? Who wouldn't? One thing that bothers me is how someone can lie under oath and fabricate evidence and get away with it. Makes it just that much easier for the next person to do it.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
But if BuBu knows he's innocent of the charges, why wouldn't he and his family try to recover the tens of thousands spent on legal fees and try to clear his name as best they can? Who wouldn't?

Why isn't Palo suing ISU and the BOR? Weren't a number of those court costs incurred appealing ISU/BOR decisions? Here's one scenario: as I mentioned yesterday, this information will eventually come out by public records request. Secondly, there are huge legal bills. The purpose of this lawsuit is to release the details and put as good a spin on them as possible, and to try to get some money back. Palo knows he has no case against ISU and BOR, thus they are not named. The original accuser has credibility issues because of the torn shirt debacle, so they figure they might have a chance in a civil trial to win a jury judgement against her.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Why isn't Palo suing ISU and the BOR? Weren't a number of those court costs incurred appealing ISU/BOR decisions? Here's one scenario: as I mentioned yesterday, this information will eventually come out by public records request. Secondly, there are huge legal bills. The purpose of this lawsuit is to release the details and put as good a spin on them as possible, and to try to get some money back. Palo knows he has no case against ISU and BOR, thus they are not named. The original accuser has credibility issues because of the torn shirt debacle, so they figure they might have a chance in a civil trial to win a jury judgement against her.

Isn't there a case pending that goes to trial in July?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The university president shouldn't be involved in decisions of athletic eligibility. If he thinks he truly needs to be then he should be involved in the athletic department process of determining eligibility. That being said the president should be allowed to take away eligibility through no extracurriculars or suspension/expulsion from the school. Even if there is truly a cause for punishment that doesn't take away the fact that the athletics was really the only thing that was targeted/punished.

You have failed the most when trying to post something you deem intelligent in regards to bubu. Just stop.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
That's a very idealistic view. Leath's job is to do what is best for the university overall, correct? Including national media. Yes, fairness is important, but nobody in the national media is going to care (no offense) if Joe Averagestudent is kicked off the Agronomy Club. Sports are pretty much the only reason why we know about individual college students on a national stage - so they are going to be the ones who get press when they do something noteworthy. It is avoiding a black eye to ISU to avoid the embarrassment of a Pierre Pierce situation.

I agree with what you are saying. However, the supreme court has said that all students at public institutions are entitled to due process in regards to discipline. Hence, he has a duty to provide due process and that includes fairly applying the rules to all students equally. The reality was he acted to protect the institution (which is his job) and I think he was right to do so. I think he erred in the way he did it an it does sound like he got pretty poor legal advice in this regard.

The bigger issue we should be talking about is if Haws statement is true and Leath really believed Bubu physically and sexually assaulted this woman how could he not expel him or apply any other action to protect fellow students? Why would he let him be at ISU camps for kids?

I have always had a problem with this middle ground PR decision as it screams that he didn't think he did it but didn't want the bad PR of having him out there. It seemed inconceivable to me he would really keep an actual guy he believed to be a rapist as an unrestricted student. That, if true, is far more damning than unfairly treating an athlete. He created a lose - lose situation when he tried to walk the line with a half assed decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesley

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

Public records don't apply to confidential student files including student discipline. This seems like a ferpa issue and a leak like this would be a clear violation.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I agree with what you are saying. However, the supreme court has said that all students at public institutions are entitled to due process in regards to discipline. Hence, he has a duty to provide due process and that includes fairly applying the rules to all students equally. The reality was he acted to protect the institution (which is his job) and I think he was right to do so. I think he erred in the way he did it an it does sound like he got pretty poor legal advice in this regard.

The bigger issue we should be talking about is if Haws statement is true and Leath really believed Bubu physically and sexually assaulted this woman how could he not expel him or apply any other action to protect fellow students? Why would he let him be at ISU camps for kids?

I have always had a problem with this middle ground PR decision as it screams that he didn't think he did it but didn't want the bad PR of having him out there. It seemed inconceivable to me he would really keep an actual guy he believed to be a rapist as an unrestricted student. That, if true, is far more damning than unfairly treating an athlete. He created a lose - lose situation when he tried to walk the line with a half assed decision.

I think you nailed my issue with the situation - I think the decision was either too harsh or too soft, there's no in-between. But I do think it was a PR move.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think you nailed my issue with the situation - I think the decision was either too harsh or too soft, there's no in-between. But I do think it was a PR move.

So do a lot of other people. Leath gave a late guilty/not guilty decision. Yet Africa was calling. Probably screwed up.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So do a lot of other people. Leath gave a late guilty/not guilty decision. Yet Africa was calling. Probably screwed up.

I think he made the smart move for the university's publicity, and I don't think it had much to do with Africa - it just probably wasn't the best move overall as far as safety (if Bubu did it) or justice (if he didn't).

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I think he made the smart move for the university's publicity, and I don't think it had much to do with Africa - it just probably wasn't the best move overall as far as safety (if Bubu did it) or justice (if he didn't).

I agree Leath tried to make a middle of the road decision that might have originally been best for university p.r., but then he undid it and then some with his very public statements against BuBu. And I'd still like somebody to explain to me how Leath can say he basically agrees with the findings of the ALJ (that there was insufficient evidence to show a student code violation), but then say he disagrees with the ALJ's application of the ruling and reverse it. Isn't that a contradiction?