JP's short list

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
All I know is this: Don't expect any guys whose better days are behind them. Names like Tubby Smith, etc. Based off of my observations, Pollard is all about finding the next big thing.

Which is why I doubt he has any "short list" sitting around, the coaching scene is too fluid. And should Fred give him reason to make one, I'm pretty sure it will take Jamie all of ten minutes to put a strong one together.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
So the answer to the OP question seems obvious enough.

We all know that Fred isn't going anywhere any time soon. He's not leaving til the kids are through school (just, just, just ... bear with me)

So he sticks around til the twins are done breaking every record on the books at ISU, and he's filled up the right hand with championship rings. I believe the boys are 10 or 11? So that puts out to about 2026 or so. (I know, I know... bear with me)

Of course, by that time, Melvin has had his number hung up next to Fred's in Hilton, had a very proud and serviceable pro career and transitioned himself to a coaching stint somewhere - very much like the Mayor, save the near death heart ailment.

So Fred calls it a career, Ejim comes in. We all ask - "Can this possibly work twice?" and he promptly pulls a Kevin Olie and takes us to the promised land once again.

Melvin goes on to carry the legacy, but I'm not sure he sticks around too terribly long. He has other attachments.

Of course, this is bittersweet for us as by that time (we're somewhere the 2030's here), Jack - who btw wore 32 creating the issue of double retiring Dad's number, thus prompting the longest thread in CF history of what the banner should look like - has since been groomed to take the reigns as the HC.

I'm dead an buried somewhere in all that - I leave the rest to you...

I'm sorry, I don't know where Paige falls into all this except to say "...and Geno Auriemma was never heard from again."

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneErik

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think we could do a lot worse than TJ. Obviously. But I do think that replacing Fred is not an enviable task. Everyone is going to seem like a disappointment.

cemarclone

Feb 6, 2014
I think we could do a lot worse than TJ. Obviously. But I do think that replacing Fred is not an enviable task. Everyone is going to seem like a disappointment.

What about Hornacek? Those pro gigs don't tend to last a lot of years. He could possibly be on the list. Personally, my hope is that Fred and Jeff win next years National Title and NBA Finals. That would really put ISU on the map. A guy can always dream.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
All I know is this: Don't expect any guys whose better days are behind them. Names like Tubby Smith, etc. Based off of my observations, Pollard is all about finding the next big thing.

The only exception that comes to mind is the new track coach.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

We all know that Fred isn't going anywhere any time soon. He's not leaving til the kids are through school (just, just, just ... bear with me)

So he sticks around til the twins are done breaking every record on the books at ISU, and he's filled up the right hand with championship rings. I believe the boys are 10 or 11? So that puts out to about 2026 or so. (I know, I know... bear with me)

Of course, by that time, Melvin has had his number hung up next to Fred's in Hilton, had a very proud and serviceable pro career and transitioned himself to a coaching stint somewhere - very much like the Mayor, save the near death heart ailment.

So Fred calls it a career, Ejim comes in. We all ask - "Can this possibly work twice?" and he promptly pulls a Kevin Olie and takes us to the promised land once again.

Melvin goes on to carry the legacy, but I'm not sure he sticks around too terribly long. He has other attachments.

Of course, this is bittersweet for us as by that time (we're somewhere the 2030's here), Jack - who btw wore 32 creating the issue of double retiring Dad's number, thus prompting the longest thread in CF history of what the banner should look like - has since been groomed to take the reigns as the HC.

I'm sorry, I don't know where Paige falls into all this except to say "...and Geno Auriemma was never heard from again."

And, like his boss, Ejim is cool, calm, and collected and takes awhile to get his first "t"....and the "double ejim" is reborn at Carver (as they are now coached by Little Lick as he made it through the ranks and EIU thought they'd give the Lick a second chance).

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City

According to Cyclones.com, we retire jerseys, not numbers. No problem.

http://www.cyclones.com/pdf9/2534268.pdf?SPSID=46661&SPID=4252&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10700

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
What you say is true, but unfortunately, the lasting impression was the CF (military acronym, not website) that surrounded the downfall of CLE and the dearth of candidates willing to fill the position due to decisions made in the AD's office. ISU football has had uptimes & downtimes, but has been pretty consistently middle-of-the-pack in the time I've spent here. ISU basketball, otoh, has had quite a bit of success...and that all went out the window. It was painful to fall that hard, and STAY sub-par for that long.

I agree BVD got blasted for his handling of the LE situation, some of it deserved. But the bottom line is LE was responsible for getting himself into that mess and he's admitted so. He's also said that he likely doesn't get sober if he stays in Ames, so even if the situation wasn't handled the way some of us wanted (myself included), it's easy to 2nd guess, and the end result was best for LE. BVD also may have known more about the whole situation than a lot of fans. Nobody could have prevented the local and national media from running with the photos and a story like that, and I think our list of weak coaching candidates was more a reflection of the program being the butte of jokes at the time. But under BVD we went to a lot of bowl games and usually beat Iowa, and had some of our best basketball years under LE. We even won an NCAA game in his last year under Morgan so the collapse in basketball really didn't happen until GMac was hired.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Uh-huh...

Good times for certain, but hardly (or barely) had anything to do with BVD. He inherited his coaches, and also a mess of finances and horrid budget, I admit. And his few capital improvements (I believe the Johnny Majors complex was already underway if not in place - Bergstrom was built on top) came on top of the success, not resulting IN success. How many of his hires did not have to be relieved of their duties? How many with large, lengthy contracts? The one lasting impact he had was hiring CJL into the volleyball program.

I agree he gets a bad rap in some circles - particularly the finance/program cutting ones. But he was a failure as an AD. And a general ***-hat to go with it as he exhibited for years on this board.

I admit I liked BVD and he was a real down to earth guy the few times I talked to him, so I probably defend him more than most. But I think it's unfair to call him a failure as an A.D considering we had some of our greatest success in football and basketball during his tenure. Sometimes it's better to stick with the coaches you have than to fire them and bring in coaches that do much worse. BVD's only real need to hire a football or basketball coach was after the LE mess, and though he could have handled that better, once it became a national joke, LE really had to go. And the bottom line is LE created his own mess. With the national embarrassment, we weren't going to get any good candidates, and fortunately the hire of Morgan turned out to be a decent hire under the circumstances. BVD won his share of awards as an A.D.and one of them was the General Robert R Neyland Outstanding A.D award in 2005, which from what I've read is a pretty big deal. Imo he gets a bad rap on the board from some, and I can see why he would defend himself on this board, especially since he's a fellow alum and obviously cares about the university whether he's working here or not.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
This. The program was ok. The hiring process was completely and utterly f'd up.

Which reminds me, it's time for my daily "Thank you God for Jamie" prayer.

So you're saying Jeff Lebo wouldn't be a good candidate.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Uh-huh...

Good times for certain, but hardly (or barely) had anything to do with BVD. He inherited his coaches, and also a mess of finances and horrid budget, I admit. And his few capital improvements (I believe the Johnny Majors complex was already underway if not in place - Bergstrom was built on top) came on top of the success, not resulting IN success. How many of his hires did not have to be relieved of their duties? How many with large, lengthy contracts? The one lasting impact he had was hiring CJL into the volleyball program.

I agree he gets a bad rap in some circles - particularly the finance/program cutting ones. But he was a failure as an AD. And a general ***-hat to go with it as he exhibited for years on this board.

The last sentence is the part for me. I didn't ever actually meet BVD, but in his time here that I was going to school, he was very disconnected from the student and acted more like the Dean from Animal House than how JP acts and interacts with the student base.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I agree BVD got blasted for his handling of the LE situation, some of it deserved. But the bottom line is LE was responsible for getting himself into that mess and he's admitted so. He's also said that he likely doesn't get sober if he stays in Ames, so even if the situation wasn't handled the way some of us wanted (myself included), it's easy to 2nd guess, and the end result was best for LE. BVD also may have known more about the whole situation than a lot of fans. Nobody could have prevented the local and national media from running with the photos and a story like that, and I think our list of weak coaching candidates was more a reflection of the program being the butte of jokes at the time. But under BVD we went to a lot of bowl games and usually beat Iowa, and had some of our best basketball years under LE. We even won an NCAA game in his last year under Morgan so the collapse in basketball really didn't happen until GMac was hired.

I think you and I view the era under a different lens.

The very public lack of support (offering suspension, possible reinstatement if treatment was sought) for a coach he supervised would be more than enough to make any non-desperate coach think twice about working for him.

The basketball team was already trending downward before Morgan was let go.

Help Support Us

Become a patron