JP's short list

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I feel like this needs to be qualified by saying that, prior to this past season, 90% of Pastner's games were against the Tulanes and East Carolinas of college basketball.

True. How about this... Scott Drew has won about 56% of his games at Baylor. Of course, he had to rescue them from the pits of hell. If you take out Scott Drew's first three years at Baylor, he has won 66% of his games and averaged 23-12. No one will ever accuse him of being a great X's and O's guy.

Edit:
Trying to think of other coaches known primarily as recruiters. Obviously Cal is a great recruiter but I think he is a decent enough coach too. Plus he is crooked as hell.

Last edited:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
True. How about this... Scott Drew has won about 56% of his games at Baylor. Of course, he had to rescue them from the pits of hell. If you take out Scott Drew's first three years at Baylor, he has won 66% of his games and averaged 23-12. No one will ever accuse him of being a great X's and O's guy.

Edit:
Trying to think of other coaches known primarily as recruiters. Obviously Cal is a great recruiter but I think he is a decent enough coach too. Plus he is crooked as hell.

Well, there's Dave Rice. He was able to convince one of the nation's top recruits that UNLV runs more of a "pro style" offense than a coach who was actually in the pros and has fielded one of the highest-scoring programs of the last few years. That takes skill.*

*and possibly money

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Co-Head Coaches Seneca Wallace and Sage Rosenfels.

Because CF would explode and JP is all about CF's page views.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
This. The program was ok. The hiring process was completely and utterly f'd up.

Which reminds me, it's time for my daily "Thank you God for Jamie" prayer.

I know it seems to be enjoyed by some to routinely pound on BVD, but a lot of good things happened during the BVD years in the football and basketball programs and a lot of great memories made, including 5 straight bowl games and an elite 8 appearance. Adding the Bergstrom indoor facility and Johnny Majors complex were also huge additions, and his years were actually a good era in ISU sports.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I posted that tweet in one of the many "Hoiberg to the xxxx" threads as a joke.

Knowing JP how I know him, he genuinely probably wanted to catch up with a former employee as he was in the area. Keeping good relationships is a great practice in about all lines of work and I'm sure that's all this was. Now, as we know, it also would be wise for TJ to say, "Hey JP, I loved my time at ISU...would welcome a chance to talk about the job if Fred ever leaves." We know Fred did that back in the day, CPR did it, etc....if that ever came to fruition, then we look back at this dinner as a "SEE, they were planning Fred's departure."

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I know it seems to be enjoyed by some to routinely pound on BVD, but a lot of good things happened during the BVD years in the football and basketball programs and a lot of great memories made, including 5 straight bowl games and an elite 8 appearance. Adding the Bergstrom indoor facility and Johnny Majors complex were also huge additions, and his years were actually a good era in ISU sports.

Uh-huh...

Good times for certain, but hardly (or barely) had anything to do with BVD. He inherited his coaches, and also a mess of finances and horrid budget, I admit. And his few capital improvements (I believe the Johnny Majors complex was already underway if not in place - Bergstrom was built on top) came on top of the success, not resulting IN success. How many of his hires did not have to be relieved of their duties? How many with large, lengthy contracts? The one lasting impact he had was hiring CJL into the volleyball program.

I agree he gets a bad rap in some circles - particularly the finance/program cutting ones. But he was a failure as an AD. And a general ***-hat to go with it as he exhibited for years on this board.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I blame myself for all this. I didn't cheer enough. I didn't give enough. I didn't make it to KC for the tournament final. I just wish I could go back in time and do it all again. Maybe Fred would never leave.

Please, Fred. Just one more chance!

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Just because it worked tremendously with a man who's never failed at anything means it will work again.
Fred's special. You don't plan like he's the norm. You just appreciate that people like him don't come around very often.

If Fred leaves, I'm sure Jamie would get Fred's input on who a good successor would be. If Fred were to recommend TJ, he should be #1 on Jamie's list.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I'm not saying I don't think TJ has value, or that he can never be a good coach, but hopefully we are not at a place as a program where we could attract a more proven commodity.

A guy like TJ in that situation should be a back up option until he proves himself in that role. Fred is the exception. Generally you would like to see some head coaching experience prior to stepping into the role at the B12 level coaching against Bill Self, Bruce Webber, Lon Krueger, Tubby, Rick Barnes, etc

I hear Creighton has a coach with that type of experience who would be a better choice than TJ.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Of course every coach is a risk, but some are bigger risks than others. Even if they're "less risky," they might not work out (Chizik), but it's all a game of odds and you play that game the best you can.

I agree that people are overstating our position, and I'm not saying we're going to have Coach K and Izzo knocking on our doors. I do think we'll be in a good enough position to attract some of the young, up and coming talent that have proven themselves. That might even end up being Otz, I don't know, but I don't think he's the very first place we look for the head coaching job at this point.

I assume that if Fred leaves, he's not going to blindside JP by leaving. I bet JP will be in the loop and will have options available and I bet that Fred will be a big part of helping JP come up with the list. Like someone said, if its 5-7 years down the line, Charlie Henry could be on the list. If its in 1-2 years, I would guess TJ would be at the top of the list.

Lets assume that TJ would be Fred's choice as a replacement. Who from this list of candidates would you want JP to hire.
TJ (as Fred's hand picked successory)
Shaka Smart (from VCU)
Gregg Marshal (from Wichita State)
Quin Snyder (NBA, formerlly Mizzou)
Lon Krugar (Oklahoma)
Tony Bennett (Virginia)
Jim Boylen (Spurs assistant, former Izzo assistant)
Buzz Williams (formerly Marquette, now Virginia Tech)
Danny Manning (Tulsa)
Tommy Amakar (Harvard)

Even assuming all of those guys would go to Iowa State, if I found out Fred told JP that TJ would be the ideal head coach to replace him, and JP hired someone else, I'd be furious. If he didn't have Fred's endorsement, I wouldn't want JP to hire him.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

What you say is true, but unfortunately, the lasting impression was the CF (military acronym, not website) that surrounded the downfall of CLE and the dearth of candidates willing to fill the position due to decisions made in the AD's office. ISU football has had uptimes & downtimes, but has been pretty consistently middle-of-the-pack in the time I've spent here. ISU basketball, otoh, has had quite a bit of success...and that all went out the window. It was painful to fall that hard, and STAY sub-par for that long.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The Hoiball YouTube video will be the next head coach.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I assume that if Fred leaves, he's not going to blindside JP by leaving. I bet JP will be in the loop and will have options available and I bet that Fred will be a big part of helping JP come up with the list. Like someone said, if its 5-7 years down the line, Charlie Henry could be on the list. If its in 1-2 years, I would guess TJ would be at the top of the list.

Lets assume that TJ would be Fred's choice as a replacement. Who from this list of candidates would you want JP to hire.
TJ (as Fred's hand picked successory)
Shaka Smart (from VCU)
Gregg Marshal (from Wichita State)
Quin Snyder (NBA, formerlly Mizzou)
Lon Krugar (Oklahoma)
Tony Bennett (Virginia)
Jim Boylen (Spurs assistant, former Izzo assistant)
Buzz Williams (formerly Marquette, now Virginia Tech)
Danny Manning (Tulsa)
Tommy Amakar (Harvard)

Even assuming all of those guys would go to Iowa State, if I found out Fred told JP that TJ would be the ideal head coach to replace him, and JP hired someone else, I'd be furious. If he didn't have Fred's endorsement, I wouldn't want JP to hire him.

Danny Manning is at Wake Forest and Frank Haith is at Tulsa.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I think we should start to worry about what if JP and Fred both decide to leave the same day. Then who would be on the short list for AD and who would he have on the short list for BB coach.