Kids in a bar/Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
https://www.facebook.com/515Brewing?fref=nf

It sounds like the city of Clive is not going to let 515 have kids in their establishment.

It looks like a solid majority of the people commenting are up in arms over this issue. I didn't post anything but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here that thinks it's ridiculous and bad parenting to bring kids into a bar setting. Adults want to sit around, drink, and talk to their friends not have kids running around.

Thoughts?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If the bar serves food and you are getting a meal with your kid(s) I don't see the big deal.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
https://www.facebook.com/515Brewing?fref=nf

It sounds like the city of Clive is not going to let 515 have kids in their establishment.

It looks like a solid majority of the people commenting are up in arms over this issue. I didn't post anything but I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here that thinks it's ridiculous and bad parenting to bring kids into a bar setting. Adults want to sit around, drink, and talk to their friends not have kids running around.

Thoughts?

I get it, but there's nothing wrong with going into a 'family friendly' laid back establishment midday with kids IMO. Evenings, kids shouldn't be there. Of course, my kids were born in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and it's incredibly common to see parents with a stroller midday or early evening grabbing a beer. (the slope is notorious for strollers in bars/everywhere).

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I grew up in bars. Not friendly Chili's type of bars. Gritty blue collar working man's bars. Sat on a bar stool and learned how to talk to anyone about anything.

This could be controversial, but I'm throwing my support behind kids in bars. You can have fancy book learnin' or you can find out about life by being with people who've lived it

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
From their website, I dont gather that they are really a bar and grill so it wouldnt be ideal for me to bring my kids there while I drank.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Everyone understands that 515 is only a brewery, correct? They don't sell food. Hence they don't fall into the ordinance that allows kids in bars that have half their receipts from food?

I really like 515. But I'm not really in support of this either (rather indifferent actually, having no kids)

It's really more of a bar than anything resembling a restaurant. So the ordinance makes sense.

It does kinda stink for them, however, to have food vendors in almost every day/night and still lose out where people can go to CABCo, Granite City, RRBC or any number of other places simply because they sell food themselves. 515 is almost offering the same product, just not the receipts for it. I wonder if this is the same for Confluence or MadHouse?

From what I understand, Clive is a bit of a pain to work with though. I know they have been wanting to add a patio but there are all kinds of (seemingly) odd setbacks, size, etc restrictions - mostly due to the bike trail right there.

Last edited:

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I don't have a problem with a kid in a bar, but I do have a problem with parents who are offended in regard to bad language that bar patrons use. What did you expect? It's a bar.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
I have been in small-town dive bars where the kids are allowed up at the bar....while the divorced dad has the kids for the Saturday and sloshes down some beers at noon. great parenting

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I have mixed feelings about this subject. In favor....when I was a kid in small town Iowa, the local bar was often filled with families, as it could be the only place close that served food, etc. My folks took me to the bar a couple times a summer, as they would work all day, and want a cold beverage and relax before going home. The bar had air conditioning, a jukebox, a pool table, decent greasy food, and some pinball machines. They didnt get drunk or act inappropriate in any way, and it was a community meeting place. Hell, it was no different than a dairy queen or local park to all of us. Kids were welcome, as well as dogs, etc. Once in a while I saw kids come get their dads, as their moms were at home and fixing supper (dads after work, farming)...no big deal to me.

I live in Oregon now, and they have a law that allows bars that serve food to allow minors until 9 pm. I worked at a local sports bar and they allowed kids to hang until 9, shooting pool, and playing darts, etc. I didnt see any real issue with the kids there, but it did seem a bit funny in that setting. Part of my issue was my age and setting, as the sports bar is pretty big, and the town is much larger than what I grew up in, in Iowa. Now, I dont have kids, but I really doubt I would bring them into the place, even as teenagers......just not sure "that" bar is a good place to do that. Now, if I was in small town Iowa, or Oregon for that matter (say town of 1500 or less) I probably would feel more comfortable taking kids into a bar.

I guess if the rule sets an early "curfew" for minors, I would not see a big problem with it.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
IMO, it is a good ordinance. Is 50% the right ratio? Not entirely sold on that, however I do and will bring my kids into sports bar, bar and grill ... a place where they are there to eat (even to watch a game and still eat) and I will consume adult beverages. I wouldn't take my kids to a sports bar, bar and grill, bar and order them a pop/soda/water while I drink alcohol.

Honestly, I think this is more of get off of my lawn thread so often seen from the OP.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Nothing wrong with it if you're getting a meal or its a sports bar (old chicago ect) and you're watching a game with friends....if its late at night and you're just there to drink/let loose...then that seems a bit weird.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
BTW - legends off Mills Civic is the ultimate place to bring kids. You can watch the game on the big screens all around, order a few beers while the kids watch the TV at your booth.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This could be controversial, but I'm throwing my support behind kids in bars. You can have fancy book learnin' or you can find out about life by being with people who've lived it

You mean realize you don't want to be the kind of person that goes the gritty bar every night?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If it just serves alcohol, kids have no business being in the bar and neither do the parents with the kids. If it's a bar and grill, fine. But I can't see a situation where a kid in an alcohol-only setting makes sense.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
You mean realize you don't want to be the kind of person that goes the gritty bar every night?

I'll say that I've certainly done my time in the gritty bar scene. Pops was a little rough around the edges and had a nose for finding trouble.....so I've gotten that scene out of my system. Trying to enjoy a drink while keeping your head on a swivel just isn't my style. Neither is having to check for footprints around the outside of the house before the kids could get out of the truck

...ahhhh....the good old days

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
If it just serves alcohol, kids have no business being in the bar and neither do the parents with the kids. If it's a bar and grill, fine. But I can't see a situation where a kid in an alcohol-only setting makes sense.

Could not agree more. I have kids and see no reason to bring them to a tap room or an alcohol only bar.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Nothing ruins a night out with friends more than them showing up with their 2 year old sickly child, to a bar, at 10pm when you were expecting to drink and be merry. Oh, you couldn't get your mom who lives RIGHT NEXT DOOR to watch the kid for a couple hours? Oh, you were using this as an excuse for me to meet your kid since I have absolutely refused to drive 4 hours back home to hang out with a baby that I quite frankly could not care less about. I hope my grumpy attitude left an impression on the kid while it was busy hacking up fluids (because you believe that medicine will harm your kid in the long run) and goobering all over my personal space. All I wanted to do is grab a drink with friends I hadn't seen for a couple years... those friends died two years ago I guess.

/end friendship

If as a 20 year old I can't even get into a bar to take a leak while I am out on a run... kids should definitely not be allowed in bars. There are parts of life that you have to make accommodations for when you have kids... for example, if you can't afford a baby sitter maybe you don't need to go to a bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.