Kids in a bar/Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I can't read the original story (facebook blocked at work). Can someone copy/paste for me? Does it read like patrons of 515 complained to keep kids out? Is 515 opposed to it?

While I don't think it's a good idea for kids to be in a current bar setting, I think each establishment should have that final say. It would surprise me to have a bar want to allow kids if even a quarter of their customers have an issue with it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I can't read the original story (facebook blocked at work). Can someone copy/paste for me? Does it read like patrons of 515 complained to keep kids out? Is 515 opposed to it?

While I don't think it's a good idea for kids to be in a current bar setting, I think each establishment should have that final say. It would surprise me to have a bar want to allow kids if even a quarter of their customers have an issue with it.

515 doesn't like that the city is forcing them to keep kids out.

"To our fans with under-age children: Per the city of Clive code, we cannot allow minors in our taproom (even with a parent). This is a city specific ordinance as the Iowa code allows minors in licensed establishments. It is with great disappointment we deliver this news as we enjoy promoting a family friendly atmosphere. We are sorry for the inconvenience.Should you like to speak to the city of Clive about their ordinance, contact Mayor Scott Cirksena, 515-223-6220 or [email protected].
Please click here to see the full details:http://www.515brewing.com/ordinance.html "

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Definitely grew up in a small town here... doesn't mean that dragging your kid along to a night out with friends doesn't ruin said night out for everyone who isn't you or your kid.

But of course, that's not the situation people are describing, but carry on.

I'm another person from a small town who sees nothing wrong with it so long as the parents are drinking responsibly and aren't driving home drunk with their kid. There's a big difference between stopping in for a beer on the way home with your kids in tow, and dragging them out for a night of partying. 90% of the people who would want to have their kids with at 515 are the former. When I was growing up, it was pretty common for my dad to stop at the bar, have a couple drinks and chat, and give my brother and I some pop, chips, and quarters to play Pac Man with.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I'm another person from a small town who sees nothing wrong with it so long as the parents are drinking responsibly and aren't driving home drunk with their kid. There's a big difference between stopping in for a beer on the way home with your kids in tow, and dragging them out for a night of partying. 90% of the people who would want to have their kids with at 515 are the former. When I was growing up, it was pretty common for my dad to stop at the bar, have a couple drinks and chat, and give my brother and I some pop, chips, and quarters to play Pac Man with.

I became a really good pool player because of this. Loved the sit down dual pac man machine as well all while enjoying a Roy Rogers.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
What's weird is that I've never seen kids at Confluence, just a lot of fat bikers wearing tight shorts. I have seen kids at El-Bait Shop, which also seemed weird.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

Bout as good as it gets right there

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
What's weird is that I've never seen kids at Confluence, just a lot of fat bikers wearing tight shorts. I have seen kids at El-Bait Shop, which also seemed weird.

Bait Shop actually serves a full menu of food. Is it really a child appropriate place? Not really. But in essence a family can walk into El Bait Shop and eat a full meal without drinking any alcoholic beverages. A family can not go to 515 and spend any money unless beer is involved (unless you are going there just to buy merchandise but honestly, who is bringing a family there just for those reasons).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There's a pretty big gap in how rural culture and urban culture treat alcohol in this state, and this thread is great evidence. Rural Iowa has a much more European (for lack of a better term) attitude towards it, and I think (at least in Northeast Iowa) a lot of that has to do with the communities openly embracing their predominant ethnic roots (such as Decorah and Norway, Protivin/Spillville with the Czech Republic, Guttenberg with Germany, Lawler/Waukon with Ireland).

When I was a little kid, my dad would run into town (Stacyville; very German community) to run errands. He'd drop my brother and I off at the grocery store with a list of stuff to stock the fridge at our farm shop. We'd just put it on our bill, which got paid monthly. Beer would almost always be on that list. The clerk/store owner knew who we were and why were buying beer, and that we weren't the ones drinking it, and so they would sell it to us, but wrap it up in a garbage bag. We'd throw it in the back of the pick up, parked along the corner. No big deal.

This scene could not/would not be replicated in any place larger than 10,000 people for a lot of reasons.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I became a really good pool player because of this. Loved the sit down dual pac man machine as well all while enjoying a Roy Rogers.

I think someone already covered this, but most of our "pool" playing was just shooting the cue ball into pockets after we had burned all our quarters.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
515 doesn't like that the city is forcing them to keep kids out.

"To our fans with under-age children: Per the city of Clive code, we cannot allow minors in our taproom (even with a parent). This is a city specific ordinance as the Iowa code allows minors in licensed establishments. It is with great disappointment we deliver this news as we enjoy promoting a family friendly atmosphere. We are sorry for the inconvenience.Should you like to speak to the city of Clive about their ordinance, contact Mayor Scott Cirksena, 515-223-6220 or [email protected].
Please click here to see the full details:http://www.515brewing.com/ordinance.html "

Sounds like 515 is in a win-win situation. If the can get the ordinance revoked, they can still promote their family friendly atmosphere. If they can't get anything done, they get the free publicity that they are "fighting for their clientele". Looks like a good PR move to me.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Not having kids I just don't know.

There have been a few times that I've been to a sports bar down here and there were lots of kids. I felt as if those times everything seemed cool.
As long as mommy and daddy aren't getting completely wasted I guess I don't mind.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Sounds like 515 is in a win-win situation. If the can get the ordinance revoked, they can still promote their family friendly atmosphere. If they can't get anything done, they get the free publicity that they are "fighting for their clientele". Looks like a good PR move to me.

The way alcohol is treated in this country is insane.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
There's a pretty big gap in how rural culture and urban culture treat alcohol in this state, and this thread is great evidence. Rural Iowa has a much more European (for lack of a better term) attitude towards it, and I think (at least in Northeast Iowa) a lot of that has to do with the communities openly embracing their predominant ethnic roots (such as Decorah and Norway, Protivin/Spillville with the Czech Republic, Guttenberg with Germany, Lawler/Waukon with Ireland).

When I was a little kid, my dad would run into town (Stacyville; very German community) to run errands. He'd drop my brother and I off at the grocery store with a list of stuff to stock the fridge at our farm shop. We'd just put it on our bill, which got paid monthly. Beer would almost always be on that list. The clerk/store owner knew who we were and why were buying beer, and that we weren't the ones drinking it, and so they would sell it to us, but wrap it up in a garbage bag. We'd throw it in the back of the pick up, parked along the corner. No big deal.

This scene could not/would not be replicated in any place larger than 10,000 people for a lot of reasons.

I agree with this totally. Heck, I just went back to my hometown (a town of about 25,000 people) last weekend for a relative's 40th birthday party and it was held at a bar (not a restaurant/bar, just a bar) and they bought a keg. About 75 people showed up and some of them brought their kids along. I don't have any issues with it. I do think there should be a cutoff time and if the kids were running around being little terrors and whatnot that could change my mind.

But truly the issue here is a Clive issue, not a 515 issue. Clive is a suburb, and has always been a suburb. They felt the need to put a law in the books to keep kids out of establishments that serve only alcohol. 515 has no other choice but to obey, obey the law but try to fight it, or if the demand is that high for children to be allowed, then they might want to move.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Definitely grew up in a small town here... doesn't mean that dragging your kid along to a night out with friends doesn't ruin said night out for everyone who isn't you or your kid.

I agree with you basic premiss, and I would never take my kids to the bar at 10pm. Maybe you don't need to be such an ***-hat when delivering you point though?

That being said, would I stop in while on a bike ride or snowmobiling or boating in the middle of the afternoon with my kids? Absolutely. Hell, some of my best memories of childhood are playing pinball at the local bar on a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron