Newer Ames burger joint named Best Burger in Iowa

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I've been there and had a burger. It was good, not sure I would say best in Iowa. Also been to Zombie Burger. Enjoy the variety there. Service was inexperienced at Brick City when we went but they hadn't been open that long.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Went to their grand opening a while back, as carvers said the wait staff was still learning. Been meaning to go back and give it another try. They some things I would like to try on their menu.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We went during the Final Four games. Mistake. We decided to wait 30 minutes for a table. Service was really good considering. The fried pickles as a appetizer were awesome!! I had to try a burger to see what the hype was all about. The burger itself had a lot of flavor and was cooked to my liking. It would be hard to judge against the other ones as I haven't been to any of the other places.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Went a few weeks ago on a whim on a Friday night. Hadn't heard much about the place. Really enjoyed it. Thought it was a great game watch environment. Had the Brick City Double. Needed knife and fork because it was so big. Fantastic flavor of the meat, loaded with bacon, and a nice thousand island dressing accent. Our server had been there since it opened, so she told us more about it and took good care of us.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Went a couple months ago for a friends birthday, and I thought it was good. Nothing spectacular, but good enough that I would go back again.

IowaClone

Jun 24, 2009
Its kind of funny its the best burger, and Its Yelp / urbanspoon rating isn't very good. Though that could be just from the simple fact its only been open under a year.

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013
I guess I'll have to go there again. I went there when it was opening and didn't think there burger was that great.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Red Alehouse in North Liberty has phemonmial burgers ... when you order medium-rare, you get medium-rare.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I've been there several times and I thought the burgers were just ok. I wonder how much they had to pay to get this best burger title.

Also the service sucked every time. Can't wait for Wallaby's to open across the street.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I've been there once and didn't think it was that special, so haven't been back. If I want a burger in Ames I go to Oddfellows.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I've been there once and didn't think it was that special, so haven't been back. If I want a burger in Ames I go to Oddfellows.
This. Live three blocks away and don't think it's anything special. Wallaby's however being three blocks away is going to be absolutely awesome.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I'm partial to the Gunder Burger at the Irish Shanty myself - but will definitely give this a try. Zombie is great fun and great variety too.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
We went during the Final Four games. Mistake. We decided to wait 30 minutes for a table. Service was really good considering. The fried pickles as a appetizer were awesome!! I had to try a burger to see what the hype was all about. The burger itself had a lot of flavor and was cooked to my liking. It would be hard to judge against the other ones as I haven't been to any of the other places.

So you had to wait 30 minutes for seating at a sports bar during the final four and that ruined it for you?

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
This is a joke. I don't know where the best burger in Iowa is but I can assure you it's not Brick City. Don't get me wrong, the food isn't terrible, but the burger is greasy and the bun is starchy. I work near there and all of my coworkers were surprised to hear this. On a completely unrelated note, I'm going to reevaluate the direction my life is headed if this is what I think about.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
This is a joke. I don't know where the best burger in Iowa is but I can assure you it's not Brick City. Don't get me wrong, the food isn't terrible, but the burger is greasy and the bun is starchy. I work near there and all of my coworkers were surprised to hear this. On a completely unrelated note, I'm going to reevaluate the direction my life is headed if this is what I think about.

It's a decent burger, but its not even the best burger in Ames. I'd take a Wendys classic double over it to be honest.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
It's not even close to Zombie. It's not as good as Wallabys.

Help Support Us

Become a patron