Mcgary caught smoking the reefer

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
geesh... a one year ban. NCAA you are outdated.

-keep

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So many levels of ridiculousness on this.

First, a year suspension for marijuana? Are you kidding me?

Second, they drug test a guy that hasn't played in like 4 months and didn't see a second of action in the game. What purpose does that serve?

Third, if you ever need a cautionary tale on why to play a year and go to the draft, this is it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Something is wrong when you can assault someone and play sooner than you can if you smoke some weed.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Thats my feeling. There has to be more to it.

The NCAA has their own drug policy that they enforce for the NCAA tournament and bowl games. Typically, they allow schools to have their own policy and so long as they follow it they don't interfere. However, NCAA rules are clear that if you fail an NCAA drug test for any recreational drug it's a year suspension, although I think that rule has since been knocked down to 1/2 season.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
I agree that a year suspension is ridiculous, but if you know the rules and that you could get suspended for a year if caught, then DON'T DO IT.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So many levels of ridiculousness on this.

First, a year suspension for marijuana? Are you kidding me?

Second, they drug test a guy that hasn't played in like 4 months and didn't see a second of action in the game. What purpose does that serve?

Third, if you ever need a cautionary tale on why to play a year and go to the draft, this is it.

I don't think guys should get suspended for pot, certainly not for a year. But offseason drug testing isn't exactly new. In fact if they didn't do offseason drug testing for PEDs (No, pot isn't a PED, I assume they were testing for more than just pot) then the whole drug testing program would be pretty much pointless since guys could bulk up all offseason and then go clean in season.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The NCAA has their own drug policy that they enforce for the NCAA tournament and bowl games. Typically, they allow schools to have their own policy and so long as they follow it they don't interfere. However, NCAA rules are clear that if you fail an NCAA drug test for any recreational drug it's a year suspension, although I think that rule has since been knocked down to 1/2 season.

Never knew that. Interesting.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm guessing the NCAA can't release the results of his drug test due to privacy laws. Coming out ahead of this story and saying "I've only smoked weed one time ever and doggone it I got caught that time" is just damage control from McGary's camp to try to help save his draft stock. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he actually tested positive for PED's.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I agree that a year suspension is ridiculous, but if you know the rules and that you could get suspended for a year if caught, then DON'T DO IT.

Yes, it's his fault. Still doesn't change the fact IT IS A REALLY STUPID ******* RULE!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
He did a smart thing by coming out and saying it was marjuana though, especially since it has become so main stream, much like NFL players claiming they tested for ADHD meds. I am still HIGHLY skeptical that it was JUST marijuana

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The punishment is the same in Colorado. The NCAA has its own rules.