Most over rated band of all time

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, and Soungarden had the immense benefit of being original and different after fifteen years of hair band cookie cutter crap. And I say that as a fan of a lot of those hair bands from early on, but the imitators were just terrible. Fact is, it doesn't take too much to top Firehouse or Steelheart or whatever crap signified the last gasps of the hair band era.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Pink Floyd. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are also the two most overrated albums of all time. You have to literally be on drugs to like them.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Beatles, simply because they're so frequently listed as the absolute best. Yeah, they were great, but I don't think they were the best.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, and Soungarden had the immense benefit of being original and different after fifteen years of hair band cookie cutter crap. And I say that as a fan of a lot of those hair bands from early on, but the imitators were just terrible. Fact is, it doesn't take too much to top Firehouse or Steelheart or whatever crap signified the last gasps of the hair band era.

People rarely agree with me, but I think Britpop that was happening at the same time is better music and stands the test of time much better than grunge rock. Of course I'm a big Beatles fan and most of it is Beatles-esqe, but give me the Stone Roses, Blur, Oasis, Elastica, Supergrass, The Verve, and early Radiohead over grunge easily.

The Stone Roses really only had one album and a sub par follow up, but that one album is better than anything that came from grunge rock, imho. And it predates grunge rock and the britpop it spawned by just a year or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJEvF7dPMNM

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Beatles, simply because they're so frequently listed as the absolute best. Yeah, they were great, but I don't think they were the best.

Easier to argue they've been bested since or shortly after than that they weren't the best at the time. Unless we're talking blues and R&B dominated stuff, not just rock. Which is why they're usually considered on top.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Easier to argue they've been bested since or shortly than that they weren't the best at the time. Unless we're talking blues and R&B dominated stuff, not just rock. Which is why they're usually considered on top.

For me, the pinnacle of rock and roll was the Stones' run from 68-72, which has some overlap with the Beatles.

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. The perfect distillation of rock and or roll.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For me, the pinnacle of rock and roll was the Stones' run from 68-72, which has some overlap with the Beatles.

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. The perfect distillation of rock and or roll.

I can respect that opinion, they were heavily influenced by the Beatles but really doing their own thing by then. I love the '67 album "Their Magesties Satanic Request" but it's basically track for track attempt at Sgt Pepper, even the cover is a ripoff. After that they were doing their own thing which was mind blowing, from '68 till last week it was other bands trying to be The Stones.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can respect that opinion, they were heavily influenced by the Beatles but really doing their own thing by then. I love the '67 album "Their Magesties Satanic Request" but it's basically track for track attempt at Sgt Pepper, even the cover is a ripoff. After that they were doing their own thing which was mind blowing, from '68 till last week it was other bands trying to be The Stones.

Exactly. Prior to 68, the Stones were trying to match the Beatles at every turn. Then Keef met Gram Parsons, and they just started doing their own thing, and that thing is my favorite. Early Stones records have glimpses of the glory to come, but are just too derivative.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Who would you all say is the most over rated rock band of all time and why?

Some of the most over rated bands to me are AC/DC, Sublime, Nickleback... there are a bunch. But #1 on that list is Nirvana. Kirk Cobain could barely play guitar, and wasn't that great of a singer. They played catchy songs, and had this raw and somewhat fresh style and look, but they really were not good musicians. The first time I ever picked up a guitar, I learned how to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" that's how easy their songs are.

Ban! Nirvana are you nuts? They brought a whole new genre of music to the masses. It's not about simplicity to play something, it's about writing it. Smells like teen spirit blew my mind when it was released.
My most overrated bands would be Kiss and the greatfull dead. For rap, lil Wayne and JayZ

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Nirvana is probably overrated, in the same way the Beatles are. They were so popular and influential that people probably get carried away with the accolades.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ban! Nirvana are you nuts? They brought a whole new genre of music to the masses. It's not about simplicity to play something, it's about writing it. Smells like teen spirit blew my mind when it was released.
My most overrated bands would be Kiss and the greatfull dead. For rap, lil Wayne and JayZ

I think they're overrated because of how new people think they were, they were the first to get a sound on the radio in the 90s but that sound had been around a long time. It's funny most Nirvana fans think REM is crap but their early stuff is an obvious inspiration and Cobain himself idolized Stipe.

Neil Young's grunge sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAdtUDaBfRA
Pixies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iC0YXspJRM
the amazing REM few remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGOLDJv08c

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
People might not like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but they are very talented. Flea is one of the best bass players there is. And... at least they don't sound like every other band out there. Nobody else really sounds like RHCP.

IMO, Jay Z has to be the most overrated. I can't stand listening to anything he's done really. But I can't stand rap either, so there's that.

I also think Radiohead is overrated. I do like some of their songs, but not very many. I've tried really hard to like this group because everyone tells me that they are musical geniuses, etc, but I just can't get into it. So much of it sounds like just noise to me.

Obviously though, most of this thread is going to just be about what people like and don't like. Music is a form of art, and therefore it will appeal differently to different people. Some people may love a certain painting, while others hate it. It's all about taste.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I think they're overrated because of how new people think they were, they were the first to get a sound on the radio in the 90s but that sound had been around a long time. It's funny most Nirvana fans think REM is crap but their early stuff is an obvious inspiration and Cobain himself idolized Stipe.

Neil Young's grunge sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAdtUDaBfRA
Pixies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iC0YXspJRM
the amazing REM few remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGOLDJv08c

There wasn't and probably won't be again someone that sounds like Cobain. Of course some influences are there, but nevermind and unplugged are still a couple of the best albums ever made. And the people saying the Beatles are overrated lose all credibility.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Patti Smith
Lou Reed/Velvet Underground
G. Dead

First two basically are revered by NYC elite/critics and no one else.
The Dead because you need something in the background when you're getting stoned.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron