Most over rated band of all time

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I cannot believe that people even mentioned Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, or U2. I think you can dislike a band but still believe they are talented. Layne Staley accomplished a lot with AIC in his brief life as a rock star. He died during his prime as he was only 34 years old. I am partial to the grunge movement though, as I remember buying Pearl Jam's "10" in my campus bookstore when I was a junior in college. It was like a breath of fresh air from the 80's hairbands. I was never a Bon Jovi fan and do agree that all of Nickelback's songs sound alike.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
To be overrated, I think it means the bands popularity disproportionally outweighs their music's quality. For the most part, I think all the bands listed so far have gained their popularity mostly due to their music. I guess one of the only bands I would ever think of as overrated would be Kiss because much of the reason they got so popular was because of how good at marketing themselves they are. They made a lot of good music, but it wasn't as good or as popular as their earth shattering image.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Perfect example! I know their face paint more than their music which means their marketing is better than their music.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
To be overrated, I think it means the bands popularity disproportionally outweighs their music's quality. For the most part, I think all the bands listed so far have gained their popularity mostly due to their music. I guess one of the only bands I would ever think of as overrated would be Kiss because much of the reason they got so popular was because of how good at marketing themselves they are. They made a lot of good music, but it wasn't as good or as popular as their earth shattering image.

In the same vein, I think it also depends on if their popularity for current music gets outweighed because of past accomplishments. There's some room for argument there with the newer stuff from bands like Modest Mouse, NIN, Radiohead, Rammstein, RHCP, Ozzy, AIC, Motley Crue, Pearl Jam (sorry, Avocado album was a black eye in comparison to other works), Deftones' self-titled adventure was pretty overrated. However, then we start getting into overrated albums instead of bands.

Overrated bands, my list would go with Ozzy without Randy Rhodes, Metallica without Cliff Burton, Blink 182, The Offspring, pretty much all of the pop-rock of the 70's-80's (Alice Cooper, KISS, AC/DC, etc.). I also thought Audioslave was always pretty overrated and just rode on Cornell's coattails.

fwiw

May 20, 2009
When I think of overrated I think of over-hyped ... fake creations that are rip-offs of some other band/act, and minimal talent.

Therefore:

Any boy band
Bay City Rollers
Monkees
Britney Spears
Spice Girls
Any band that uses auto tune (automatic fail)

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
When I think of overrated I think of over-hyped ... fake creations that are rip-offs of some other band/act, and minimal talent.

Therefore:

Any boy band
Bay City Rollers
Monkees
Britney Spears
Spice Girls
Any band that uses auto tune (automatic fail)

You forgot the biggest fake band ever: The Archie's. I agree with what you are saying, but I didn't even consider that type of band when thinking about overrated, maybe over marketed is a better term. One thing is for sure, Yuck!

schlepp571

Dec 21, 2013
Ames
Nirvana and Bush hands down. Saw Bush in '96 at Hilton. They were horrible. Veruca Salt opened for them and ate their lunch. O.A.R is the only band I can think of that is fantastic live but I hate their studio tracks.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
How can I **** the most people off at once with bands I don't like? Hmmm

Led Zepplin
Rolling Stones
Beatles
Queen (besides like 3 songs)
Jimi Hendrix
The Ramones
Prince

Just not a fan of them, they weren't during my time and my father was never a big music guy so he never influenced me.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Apparently you know nothing about musical talent to list Rush as over rated. They have the most Platinum albums behind the Stones and the Beatles. Easily, the most under rated band of all time.

Rush is an interesting group. They do have some really out there prog rock stuff that mainly Rush fanatics are into and I can't listen too...but they also have some really good old classic rock tunes like Limelight, Tom Sawyer, Spirit of the Radio and Fly By Night that I love. They aren't for everybody but I get annoyed when people just dismiss them as that weird Canadian group for nerds.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Pink Floyd. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are also the two most overrated albums of all time. You have to literally be on drugs to like them.

I'm a huge Floyd fan and I'll admit The Wall is overrated but saying the same about Dark Side and that you have to be a pothead to enjoy that album is completely idiotic

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
To the people bagging on Rush, honestly, why the hate? Name ONE three piece band who are as collectively gifted as Neil Peart, Geddy Lee, and Alex Lifeson. If you simply dont enjoy their music, I can respect that, but to call them overrated is a slap in the face to excellent musicians. Yes, their stuff can be a little strange, but they're PROG ROCK. They're not masquerading as something else. Sorry if im being a fanboy, or a Rush homer, they are by no means my favorite group, but they're a top 10 for sure.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
RHCP hasn't really done anything great starting with Stadium Arcadium, which had some solid songs but for the most part was average at best.

BloodSugarSexMagic is funky.
One Hot Minute is very underrated IMO.
Californication is amazing top to bottom, same as By The Way

Haters can leave the building.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I cannot believe that people even mentioned Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, or U2. I think you can dislike a band but still believe they are talented. Layne Staley accomplished a lot with AIC in his brief life as a rock star. He died during his prime as he was only 34 years old. I am partial to the grunge movement though, as I remember buying Pearl Jam's "10" in my campus bookstore when I was a junior in college. It was like a breath of fresh air from the 80's hairbands. I was never a Bon Jovi fan and do agree that all of Nickelback's songs sound alike.

Agree on AIC. The thing that separates them from other grunge bands is the fact that they're playing essentially the same style of music as Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc. but it's so unique and easily identifiable. Dirt and Jar of Flies are simply just amazing albums.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
The Who

Also, any hip hop artists that sample. Pulling someone's music and then laying a rhyme on top only fools those too young to know the original song. Not hating. Just saying. I enjoy pretty much any music genre.

[video=youtube;PueK3Jz--r8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueK3Jz--r8[/video]

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
To the people bagging on Rush, honestly, why the hate? Name ONE three piece band who are as collectively gifted as Neil Peart, Geddy Lee, and Alex Lifeson. If you simply dont enjoy their music, I can respect that, but to call them overrated is a slap in the face to excellent musicians. Yes, their stuff can be a little strange, but they're PROG ROCK. They're not masquerading as something else. Sorry if im being a fanboy, or a Rush homer, they are by no means my favorite group, but they're a top 10 for sure.

Rush+sucks+t-shirt.jpg