Georges Niang in 2014-2015

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I've been thinking this for a long time, but he reminds me of a guy who played for Villanova in the 80's.

Kind of a slower wide body that had some moves and could score.

I couldn't remember his name and it's been nagging me for a while.

I finally did some digging. John Pinone.

He moves faster when he spins. The Whirling Dervish.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I expect an 18.5, 5.5, 4.5 season out of Georges next year. Hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble now that he isn't going to play as an undersized center full-time.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Could be. I felt like when he got hurt he was just starting to put it all together, the last piece in my mind was playing smart on defense. I felt he was doing a better job of playing straight up D and avoiding the stupid fouls.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Remember at the beginning of the season when some people thought Niang was having a sophomore slump? (The 4 points in the Auburn game before fouling out).

He's going to be the man next year. This is his team now.

I didn't think he was very focused in that game. Something happened with him and the guy he was guarding(don't remember what) and it seemed like he kept trying stick it to the guy the rest of the game.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
He needs to up the Rebounding. He does that he is an AA. 20-7-4 next year. Mark it down.

His rebounding actually improved quite a bit toward the end of the season. Haven't crunched the numbers but I think he was around 5 per game. His defense and fouling also improved.

just needs to convert more fat into muscle and increase his endurance. With more help in the middle, I think his outside shooting percentage should also improve.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
ISU could be a very respectable defensive team next year. Morris and Hogue are very good, McKay should at least be a good shot disrupter (don't know anything about his defense besides that), Niang is getting respectable. No idea on Nader but he certainly has the length to be good.

Oh, and count me in for the 20, 5, 5 for Niang.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I love he's getting that respect. I hope he continues to improve as he already has. I think our system is such that we could have multiple stat stuffers..which is great! I do like that Georges can have the offense run through him and his leadership is off the charts..one of those guys that is probably already rallying the troops for next year.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Georges is prettier version of Kevin Pittsnogle. Similar skill set except Georges is way better.

6a00e54f7fc4c58833014e86d3ad99970d-320wi.jpg

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
With all the guys who can score, I have trouble seeing Georges achieve an honor like this unless he is able to either up the rebounding or have a simply incredible year distributing the ball. Georges is a great offensive threat, but he is unfortunately a team where multiple guys can go off any given night.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
With all the guys who can score, I have trouble seeing Georges achieve an honor like this unless he is able to either up the rebounding or have a simply incredible year distributing the ball. Georges is a great offensive threat, but he is unfortunately a team where multiple guys can go off any given night.

I will almost guarantee Georges will be the #1 option next year. Especially having a pg like Monte who is pass first, which I don't really think has happened in the entire time Hoiberg has been coaching here unless you count Lucious into that mold.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I'll mark him down tentatively for 19, 6, and 5.

We have so many weapons next year. As you've already covered; Niang, Hogue, McKay, Nader.. all of these guys could go off on any given night. Matt should make some good improvements this offseason. I have a feeling he'll rid himself of the hesitation and provide us with a very steady deep threat. Naz will continue to do Nazty things. Threesus saves. SDW can hopefully make some improvements as well. He's got huge potential. Edozie can give us good minutes down low to at least provide our guys with a quick breather, if we're in a little foul trouble, or if we just need him to go bruise. In all likelihood, Hoiball will land some sort of immediately eligible transfer that makes an impact.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned some guy by the name of Morris yet. I really think that he is going to turn into a star next year. We all know what he brings to the table, and the media started to catch on towards the end.. but with all of these weapons, he will be the true facilitator. I think he'll break his own A:TO mark, while averaging about 8-10 points a game, and making numerous SportsCenter top-10 passes.

Kool-aid tastes good.

usnclone

Feb 9, 2007
Let's keep in mind, since the 97-98 season, only 6 people have averaged 17 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists. I'm not saying Georges can't do it but it's a very difficult task to achieve.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I feel that Niang stepped up quite a bit already this year as a leader. We had many games where ISU was out of sorts and Hoiberg put the ball in Niangs hands to get a "sure" basket. Also, he has already welcomed the leader role as well I believe.