Considering Going From DirecTV to Dish

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
I searched old threads, but would like some feedback specifically from people who have made the decision to go from DTV to Dish.

Called and gave DirecTV the annual "I'm leaving if you don't lower my bill" gig. This year they didn't really play ball....my bill has crept up to $120 a month with no premium channels...they offered $10 off a month for 24 months, which ****** me off more than anything...before I've gotten them to bring me down to $70-$80 a month for 12 months, then it raised to $100 for the next 12.

Anyway, them not playing ball has me considering moving to Dish for the first time ever...for those of you who have moved from DTV to Dish, how has your experience been? Like the idea of the built in Sling on the Hopper, but my main concern is picture quality....we have a Dish receiver at work and I noticed (especially watching sports) some macroblocking on the TV...I know it isn't the TV because its a $2,000 2014 model Samsung Smart TV that looks brilliant when hooked up to a Blu Ray player, so that leaves me to believe it is something with the Dish setup (who knows what, could be old coax struggling with the signal).

I've got a 60" plasma for my main TV and sit about 12' away from it, so any imperfections in the picture are going to very obvious.

I'm not happy paying $120 per month for TV when I could get the first 12 months of Dish for $40 a month with a very similar package, but just want to make sure I'm making a decision I won't regret for two years.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
I should have noted - I don't buy the NFL Sunday Ticket, I don't follow a specific NFL team, just really fantasy football only. Also, like watching the Masters, but the standard feed on CBS is good enough for me, haven't taken advantage of DTV's extended coverage in the past.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
In the same boat. Did get them down to 85-90/ month. My Genie though has been a little erratic lately, thinking I just need to switch to keep current/new DVR in house. No NFL Sunday ticket with Direct anymore also.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Who do you use for your wifi service today?
Not sure who your cable provider is, but I have Time Warner (soon to be Comcast) where I live and they give me a nice bundle deal on Internet/Cable service, and the internet speed is really great.

Something you might want to consider.

Tony

May 1, 2013
Ankeny, IA
Several years ago I switched from Direct to Dish and as far as picture quality I had no issues with Dish whatsoever and that was with a similar TV to yours, a 63" Samsung plasma 600hz.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Huge advantage for fantasy football is that you can get the red zone channel in the normal sports pack rather than needing the Sunday ticket package.

I've never had picture issues with dish. I think your work issues has to do with satellite pointing or interferences. ESPNU only in SD has been a pain, but that'll be in HD by next season. Dish also now has access to WatchESPN.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
Can't speak to switching because I've never had DTV, but I've been a Dish customer for about 5 years now and am extremely happy. Honestly my biggest complaint was not getting ESPNU in HD, and it sounds like that is finally happening. I'm also looking forward to the WatchESPN access. I love the Hopper-joey system and the prime time anytime is fantastic especially with the auto-hop.

As far as your picture concerns I have never noticed any differences between my picture and DTV. Maybe someone else can speak to that.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I have a related question. I've been with DirectTV for about three years (CenturyLink internet). This spring I'm thinking about "unbundling" mainly so I can get Mediacom's faster internet hooked up to my house for the first time, get the line buried etc. so I can switch back and forth in years to come if I need to.

I'd like some upgraded equipment with DirecTV, like the Genie. Will it cost me to do that? Or will I just need to commit to another two-year deal? If so can I get them to come down on price? It's really high now that all the discounts have worn out and I'm paying full price.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I just switched about a month ago and I've been very happy with it. I have a 60 inch and I sit about 12 feet away also, haven't noticed any difference in picture from my directv. I have the hopper with built in sling box and it's far superior to directv IMO.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
DO NOT! I went from Direct to Dish and dumped Dish to go back to Direct as quick as i could. Since then I've switched ATT UVerse as part of a bundle with my internet, but still kind of wish I had Direct. As an aside, my 73 year old mother left Direct for Dish and switched back to Direct last spring after having Dish for only 4 months. Dish is awful.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
My gf and I recently made the switch the other way (from dish to DTV) and to be honest DirecTV seems like an upgrade, I don't notice much difference in picture quality but the DVR system is far superior than Dish.

We were in the same boat as you with the price, they wouldn't budge so I cancelled and had my gf inquire about getting it set up in her name as a new customer, hoping to get a great deal . Even as new Dish customer, we would've been paying over $100 for our package (no HBO or any premiums) that was advertised as around $70. They had a $30 "equipment charge" for each additional TV we wanted hooked up, so be wary of the advertised price, you may not be getting a better deal in the end. Directv got us in for $60/month for the same package, no hidden fees.

If saving $20 bucks a month is a big deal, then make the switch but from someone who has had both services in the last year that would be the only thing better about Dish. FWIW I was a Dish customer for nearly 10 years.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Get Dish, DTV sucks. Keep DTV, Dish sucks. I think I've summed up 99% of these types of threads.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I just switched about a month ago and I've been very happy with it. I have a 60 inch and I sit about 12 feet away also, haven't noticed any difference in picture from my directv. I have the hopper with built in sling box and it's far superior to directv IMO.

did you drop off your directv equipment somewhere? or did they send out boxes to ship them back when you cancelled?

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
They send out prepaid boxes for equipment, you keep the dish on the roof.

kickout

Aug 30, 2013
Just pay your bill and move on. Can't believe the penny pinching on here sometimes.

This. Can't believe the audacity of people ******** and moaning just to save a buck. Don't complain about crappy service when ***** about paying the retail price. Like it, pay the price. Dont like it, don't have the service.

Nothing bothers me more than nickel and dime crap like this (both from consumers and businesses). If you need to ***** the price down, you can't afford it.