The Minnesota way around the smoking ban

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Saying they cant smoke in a restaurant or bar is not.

we will have to disagree then.. as I see it as removing freedom.

IMO, it will be a sad day when Iowa 'adopts' this law. And I or anyone in my family doesn't smoke!!!

-keep.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Really? And that stuff is affecting me directly how?

Millions of people throw away batteries, that is not good for the environment and in turn, not good for you.

There is a road in front of your house has cars driving on it...should we regulate those? Because the stuff coming out of the exhaust can kill you as well.

How about someone grilling next to you in the tailgate lot? When charcoal burns, it gives off chemicals that can kill you over time just like 2nd hand smoke.

I didn't want this to become a political debate, I just thought the article was hilarious. Oh well.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Millions of people throw away batteries, that is not good for the environment and in turn, not good for you.

There is a road in front of your house has cars driving on it...should we regulate those? Because the stuff coming out of the exhaust can kill you as well.

How about someone grilling next to you in the tailgate lot? When charcoal burns, it gives off chemicals that can kill you over time just like 2nd hand smoke.

I didn't want this to become a political debate, I just thought the article was hilarious. Oh well.

So because we can't do EVERYTHING, we shouldn't do ANYTHING?

I love that arguement. :dull:

Out of curiosity ... where does toothpaste, charcoal and batteries rank on the "number of people killed by each year" list?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Out of curiosity ... where does toothpaste, charcoal and batteries rank on the "number of people killed by each year" list?

It almost sounds like a child got his toy taken away, doesn't it?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Probably not very high but there are many things above 2nd hand smoke deaths that we are doing nothing about.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Is this tailgate lot in a confined indoor area? No? Oh, so this example has no basis on the actual issue then? Ok. Just checking.

how about Rubes Steakhouse???? time to shut it down????

-keep.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Probably not very high but there are many things above 2nd hand smoke deaths that we are doing nothing about.

I wouldnt say we are doing nothing. Otherwise you wouldnt hear environmentalists throwing a fit every day on the media. Like I mentioned before. This ban costs the government little to nothing. Environmental changes do.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We do...Next

Is this tailgate lot in a confined indoor area? No? Oh, so this example has no basis on the actual issue then? Ok. Just checking.

Could you answer the question without all of drama next time?

Since when does the law limit smoking in indoors? How about public parks, golf courses, etc? Those will be affected too.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
It almost sounds like a child got his toy taken away, doesn't it?

I don't even smoke by the way. So no, my toy didn't get taken away. I'm sorry if you feel like you have a right to have clothes not smelling of smoke when you come home from the bar.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't even smoke by the way. So no, my toy didn't get taken away. I'm sorry if you feel like you have a right to have clothes not smelling of smoke when you come home from the bar.

You honestly think stinky clothes is what is driving the publics opinion of this? This convo is done.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Probably. But such as?

I imagine diabetes, heart disease and such are. But neither of those have a direct impact on others like smoking does. Aside from perhaps the visual....

You and I have been a couple rounds on this, CW. And I think we have a good understanding. I'm happy to see it, you're not. But I think most people agree that this is a wussy attempt to curb smoking in general (not just for the second hand issue), but gov't is too scared to take on the issue head on - that if it's such a health issue, it should be banned like just about any other illegal drug.

To that, I agree. I'm just happy to see something and do think it'll cause some to quit, others to not start, and does protect other patrons and workers.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I'm not saying a smoking ban should extend to outdoor public places, but I will tell you that when my family helped in a city park cleanup in our neighborhood, the amount of cigarette butts vs. other garbage was astounding.

Why can't smokers put their butts in the appropriate place?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
So the government should address only issues that cost them little money?

Nope, where did I say that. I said that things that dont cost them money tend to get passed quicker. Geez, man, I cant believe I had to explain that one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron