UConn fans take on Friday night

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Correct and if we were playing you in Indy I wouldn't be saying "Our guys are mentally tough and can fight through the road game"

Can't argue with you about MSG being an advantage for UConn. Will be interesting to see exactly how big of an advantage it really will be. This Iowa State team just beat Kansas in Kansas City.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah SMU is two of those. Just not a good matchup, also should have been a tourney team. But that's a different debate.

Houston is just that one stink bomb game every team has.

And considering where they finished in the conference compared to Baylor and Oklahoma State, you could make an argument that WVU was a tournament-caliber team during the Big 12 season, they just were sunk by an awful non-conference.

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland
If this is the case, which guy of yours goes off the rails a few months down the line. :spinny:

Sorry couldn't resist, and I was a RW backer in the early goings.

The dude has a disability. I wouldn't call that "off the rails". Last time I checked, RW is on the Sacramento Kings roster, so...

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Good post... but isu will win or lose based on outside shooting. If isu shoots the three well they will win. If they dont, uconn will win the game.

Isu will take uconn to the basket. That is a given. They have established that part of their game against everyone. Its the oustide shooting on top of that that makes them tough to beat.

Isu has shot the three well so far in the tournament. We will see. They have had some down games in that department and lost as a result.

Thanks for the respectful post.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
The only problem with this statistic is there were more ISU fans at all of those games... maybe not at the UNI game, but not sure

Pretty sure it was UNI, Drake, Iowa vs. ISU in the Well. I'm guessing KSU and KU had the numbers. Maybe not KSU.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
A crowd that is 40% one team and 15% another with a bunch of neutral fans filling it out that is not at anyone's home arena is not the same as a road game.

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
Is anyone here going, just be prepared to sit near UConn fans who hate Ryan Boatright.

VERRRY polarizing figure with his play.

Great kid who lost his brother to gang violence in middle of season. When he plays great (See St. Joes) UConn is a tough out. And when he plays like there's an NBA contract on the line he is so frustrating.

Do you guys have anyone like that?

Also ignore Omar Calhoun in scouting and Olander for the most part as well.

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
You come back from as many large deficits and gut out as many tough games as this team did, it becomes a point of pride.

I get that, actually leads me to my next question. I saw a tweet from WRNL I think about your end of game numbers in the last month.

Any concern about regressing towards the mean?

(I'm a big numbers guy if you can't tell, I lived on KenPom last week)

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
I resting my laurels on three things: Talent, Shooting Ability, and Fred Hoiberg.

I need nothing else.

Simplistic way to look at it, and i guess it is a simple game put the ball in the hoop more than the other guy.

I love the breakdown and insight from those who live and die with the team.(I had to leave work the day of the sweet 16 game in 2011 cause I could not function)

Each his own

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I noticed that some UConn fans are thinking we are a poor defensive team. I think that while we gave up some offense when we lost George, we may have gained defensively, in that now Naz will play more -- and he can be a lock-down guy.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Is anyone here going, just be prepared to sit near UConn fans who hate Ryan Boatright.

VERRRY polarizing figure with his play.

Great kid who lost his brother to gang violence in middle of season. When he plays great (See St. Joes) UConn is a tough out. And when he plays like there's an NBA contract on the line he is so frustrating.

Do you guys have anyone like that?

Also ignore Omar Calhoun in scouting and Olander for the most part as well.

Early in the season I think you would have found people saying that about Kane, but I think he has long since won over any doubters. The team is #1 in the country for team assists per game, so they are top-to-bottom very unselfish and team-focused.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I get that, actually leads me to my next question. I saw a tweet from WRNL I think about your end of game numbers in the last month.

Any concern about regressing towards the mean?

(I'm a big numbers guy if you can't tell, I lived on KenPom last week)

Maybe a little? I mean, Niang was often the closer offensively for this team, but we also had several games where he fouled out early and others stepped up with clutch play. I still think other teams should be VERY worried if ISU is able to keep it close going into the last minute. Kane and Naz especially live for the clutch moment.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Going down to the Garden has been an annual right of March for UConn fans, and that was taken away from us the last two years after getting screwed over by the NCAA and realignment (Don't get me started on BC or Rutgers). UConn can make it feel like a home game when they share the arena with four other teams and one of them is Cuse.

First off welcome to the forum. Overall I have enjoyed the conversation from the majority of the UConn fans that have stopped by. Pretty great, informative and level headed conversations.

Not trying to be rude here but can you guys PLEASE stop with the whole "back to our rightful place in MSG, and the whole having it taken away from us" deal... Like I said, no offense inteded. I'm sure for your fan base its a sore subject and you all have very strong feelings about it but here it just comes off as arrogant and whiney.

I think Cyclone nation will make a decent appearance in MSG but agree that it will likely be nowhere near the amount of fans that Uconn brings. As others have mentioned, if we had Niang for this one I feel pretty confident on pulling out the win but without him its really a toss up for me. I think we still have the firepower to pull it out but Napier is an outstanding player and deserves his due credit. Overall looking forward to a good match up and again, welcome to the forums.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron