UConn fans take on Friday night

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
Threads all over the place, I see a few other UConn guys have posted, thought I would start something so we're all in one place. Not a troll job, preview and banter.

First and foremost do not take things said on the Boneyard or done by a few idiots to completely represent our fan base. Someone started a thread there two weeks ago about Boatrigh sabotaging the season. Every fan base has those people, you have the guy who was in a coma for 20 years cause he said Women's hoops is all UConn Athletic Dept has accomplished.

Now onto the game.

I am pretty familiar with Iowa St. became a fan of The Mayor after he completely dismantled us two years ago. I've bet quite a bit this year and backed Iowa State throughout the Big 12 tourney. Probably watched over 10 games maybe even 15. Picked them for my FF thinking teams would have a tough time keeping up.

• If Niang was playing UConn would have roughly a 5 percent chance. We feel your pain, we lost Dyson in February of 2009, Price in the opening round of 2008 and Khalid El-Amin in 2000 opening round. Just sucks.
  • This is a great match-up where on paper player to player you guys have the edge. You had guys step up in Niangs absence and we've got Brimah and TSam coming along quite nicely for us.
  • Your pace can potentially lead to problems, the only teams UConn saw play at that pace all year were downright AWFUL on D. So there's the problem.
  • Not sure who UConn's lockdown guy Kromah guards, but he took Kilpatrick out of a game this season so that is a matchup to keep an eye on.

Like I said neutral court you guys are favored and are the better team.

Now here's where it's tricky. You're walking into a hornets nest. To the poster that said we'd have the fourth most fans there. You could not be more wrong. Seatgeek or one of those sites is reporting that 40 percent of all tickets on secondary are being mailed to CT and another 30 percent to NY/NJ. I think UConn will have close to 50 percent of the fans, which is par for a Friday night at MSG for US.

Going down to the Garden has been an annual right of March for UConn fans, and that was taken away from us the last two years after getting screwed over by the NCAA and realignment (Don't get me started on BC or Rutgers). UConn can make it feel like a home game when they share the arena with four other teams and one of them is Cuse.

You guys have Hilton Magic, and it's not going to be that. But we've had some pretty special moments at MSG when the stakes were high.

Will answer any questions you may have, looking for fun discussion not trolling.

Reactions: ThurgoodMarshal

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Solid post and good assessment. Welcome!

You are right, it will be a home game for UCONN, no doubt about it.

I think with Niang out, it is a pick'em game If we had George, I think we would be 4-6 point favorites. Should be a fun match-up!

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Hey man welcome. Should be a great game. Hopefully we have a good following too however beings uconn has a location advantage I see a lot more uconn fans there. I feel if we can stop the red hot Napier and push this to an uptempo game we should win. Also if its within 8 in the last two minutes with this squad I still like our chances. These cyclones you got to play until the final buzzer sounds

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for the post. We at CF know all too well to not let a couple idiots be a reflection of the group. I appreciate your insight. Should be a great game. Everyone here is sad about Niang. I feel we match up better with you guys than we did UNC, without him. If Kromah is your Defense guy, I would think he'd be on DeAndre Kane. Kromah is 6-6, so that would limit Kane from inverting and playing the post, which Hoiberg likes to do when a small guard is on Kane. BUT, doing that would leave a worse defender on our 6-6 guy (Ejim), who was the Big XII Player of the Year, and all around badas*. Is it Friday Yet?!?!?!? GO CYCLONES!

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
This guy's making it way too hard to hate UCONN fans. Thanks for the insight, can't wait for Friday!!

Leebo

Mar 13, 2012
I think people are overestimating the number of fans who will be devoted UConn fans, but I do expect the MSU and UVA fans to be more likely to root for UConn than ISU, because even with the loss of Niang I think they'd rather see a lower seeded team.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm going to just say that this team isn't rattled by hostile environments. That's great the UCONN faithful will show up in large numbers, but that isn't going to determine the outcome of this game.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I think people are overestimating the number of fans who will be devoted UConn fans, but I do expect the MSU and UVA fans to be more likely to root for UConn than ISU, because even with the loss of Niang I think they'd rather see a lower seeded team.

I don't agree with that. UCONN will have the largest contingent of fans and any team playing them is playing in a hostile environment. I would think the fans of those schools would rather play Iowa State (minus Niang) on a neutral floor than UCONN on a hostile floor.

Leebo

Mar 13, 2012
I don't agree with that. UCONN will have the largest contingent of fans and any team playing them is playing in a hostile environment. I would think the fans of those schools would rather play Iowa State (minus Niang) on a neutral floor than UCONN on a hostile floor.

It's true that the balance would shift more toward UConn fans were they to advance, so that's a factor.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012

This is where it is tricky. You might be right about cheering for the lower seed. But it will also depend on whom they think they have a better chance of defeating. A full strength UCONN or ISU without one of its best players. Also there could be the effect where if UCONN has half the building the other half will bind together against them. We'll see, but in the end I will not be surprised if it becomes a 50-50 crowd. ISU is hard to hate on and UCONN has built up a lot of hate...by winning so much!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
How many pieces? Or in just one piece?

hershey-reeses-pieces1.jpg

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm going to just say that this team isn't rattled by hostile environments. That's great the UCONN faithful will show up in large numbers, but that isn't going to determine the outcome of this game.

If anything guys like Naz and Kane seem to relish a hostile crowd.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We are, what, 9-0 in neutral site games? (beat UNI, 3 in Hawaii, 3 in the Big 12 tournament and 2 in the NCAA).

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
2012 was only a warm up for the true dismantling on Friday.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011

Agree. The advantage playing in NY for UCONN will be massive familiararity.....not the number of UCONN fans vs ISU fans. UCONN has played a billion games in MSG so they know right where everything is, sightlines and just depth perception shooting in that arena.
NOw is it a huge difference? IMO no...maybe a bucket here or there...but it does help.

Be interesting to see the matchups. If Napier guards Kane...i think Kane gets him in foul trouble (and vice versa) because i dont think either can guard the other. If Napier guards Naz (would make sense) and Boatright guards Kane.....Ejim is going to have to go off.
If i had a nickel.....Kane and Napier get into an old fashioned shootout...like 25-30 points each.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Agree. The advantage playing in NY for UCONN will be massive familiararity.....not the number of UCONN fans vs ISU fans. UCONN has played a billion games in MSG so they know right where everything is, sightlines and just depth perception shooting in that arena.
NOw is it a huge difference? IMO no...maybe a bucket here or there...but it does help.

Be interesting to see the matchups. If Napier guards Kane...i think Kane gets him in foul trouble (and vice versa) because i dont think either can guard the other. If Napier guards Naz (would make sense) and Boatright guards Kane.....Ejim is going to have to go off.
If i had a nickel.....Kane and Napier get into an old fashioned shootout...like 25-30 points each.

Maybe it's just because of the big Kane vs. Napier match-up, but for some reason I keep seeing this game shaping up like the Oklahoma State games this year. If that holds true, you're welcome America because it will be a treat.

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
Thanks guys. I think Kromah goes Ejiim, but that makes the Kane call tough. Who do you guys throw in Brimah?

Also agree that we aren't nearly the nightmare down low as UNC was.

Also if "bad DeAndre" shows up, this whole thing is moot and we lose by 20.

Underestimating home-court is why some of those building in vegas touch the sky.

One of the games i bet against ISU (might've been only one) was the road trip to Morgantown. So to think you are immune is silly. Heck you lost at KState and that team is dreadful.

I wish you guys didn't have such a great coach, if you had someone that was incompetent like Weber I'd say the buildup and the spotlight could play a factor. But Hoiberg's too good for that.

If you guys want to follow I'm on twitter under same handle. A good blog follow for UConn is @noescalators

(The saying comes from Ollie's opening presser where he said at UConn no easy way out, we take the stairs.)

Not sure how closely you're monitoring but the ticket market is insane. I got tix for 250 the other night. That same section is over 500 now.