UConn fans take on Friday night

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Simplistic way to look at it, and i guess it is a simple game put the ball in the hoop more than the other guy.

I love the breakdown and insight from those who live and die with the team.(I had to leave work the day of the sweet 16 game in 2011 cause I could not function)

Each his own

I watched UConn play on Saturday night. Napier is good, damn good. They are not talented as North Carolina. They may have a 7 footer, but can he guard on the perimeter? Daniel Edozie proved to me that he can be an inside presence on D that will cause disruptions, not necessarily blocks.

I am ok with letting Napier shoot from the outside, let him get his. He won't score 40. Hard D on the others, double in the post and make our baskets.

We win the game. That simple.

UConn Must Be Destroyed.

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland
Is anyone here going, just be prepared to sit near UConn fans who hate Ryan Boatright.

VERRRY polarizing figure with his play.

Great kid who lost his brother to gang violence in middle of season. When he plays great (See St. Joes) UConn is a tough out. And when he plays like there's an NBA contract on the line he is so frustrating.

Do you guys have anyone like that?

Also ignore Omar Calhoun in scouting and Olander for the most part as well.

I'm actually somewhat familiar with Boatright. He was in the same conference in HS as my son, here in Chicago western Suburbs. Saw him play many times. Great athletic ability. I remember when Tim Floyd recruited him to USC when he was an 8th grader.

Do we have anyone like that? Maybe Dorsey-Walker, who plays here and there and just tries a little too hard sometimes.

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
I noticed that some UConn fans are thinking we are a poor defensive team. I think that while we gave up some offense when we lost George, we may have gained defensively, in that now Naz will play more -- and he can be a lock-down guy.

Only UConn fans who don't understand pace are saying that.

UNC, different story. That is a dreadful defensive team.

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
I'm actually somewhat familiar with Boatright. He was in the same conference in HS as my son, here in Chicago western Suburbs. Saw him play many times. Great athletic ability. I remember when Tim Floyd recruited him to USC when he was an 8th grader.

Do we have anyone like that? Maybe Dorsey-Walker, who plays here and there and just tries a little too hard sometimes.

Silly athletic ability.

Yup that's him, great kid could tell he took the loss of brother really hard.

He's also a talker, as well as Bazzie.

Best quote from Boat was after Cuse game last year "They leaving the Big East with a bad taste of UConn in their mouth"

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Silly athletic ability.

Yup that's him, great kid could tell he took the loss of brother really hard.

He's also a talker, as well as Bazzie.

Best quote from Boat was after Cuse game last year "They leaving the Big East with a bad taste of UConn in their mouth"

Oh well nobody on our team likes to talk at all....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
It is hard not to agree that the closer proximity to NYC will be a factor that may work in UCONN's favor, I am sure your fan-base will travel and be represented well, nothing but respect there, as if we were playing somewhere closer I guarantee Ames and part of DSM would close with all the people that would be traveling...
On another note, though I believe Kevin Ollie it taking you all to a level that Calhoun had seem to digressed from (in other words doing a great job), but honestly I believe the Iowa State coaching staff is unbelievable right now... They will not only have this team ready but every single aspect of it, bench role players (Edozie, Naz, Hougue, Thomas....) all will be ready and I guarantee the a game plan will be in place for this game even as a neutral/somewhat away game that it may seem. The reason I say this is look at Sunday, in roughly 36 hours after losing a leader and top 3 scorer the staff gets a game plan in place and team ready and it worked, they leaned on player they had not before to step up and they did. This shows great depth and preparation, which with close to a week preparations to this game I know this team will be ready with a game plan.... This team has taken us on an amazing ride this year and I don't believe it to be over yet. If my analysis ends up incorrect in the end, I appreciate all that this team has done for the program, fan-base, and school. Bringing us further back to relevance.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
I will say, kind of alarming none of you have mentioned Daniels.

He's our second best scorer. Couldn't keep me from dropping 20 on him, but great scorer.

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
I watched UConn play on Saturday night. Napier is good, damn good. They are not talented as North Carolina. They may have a 7 footer, but can he guard on the perimeter? Daniel Edozie proved to me that he can be an inside presence on D that will cause disruptions, not necessarily blocks.

I am ok with letting Napier shoot from the outside, let him get his. He won't score 40. Hard D on the others, double in the post and make our baskets.

UConn Must Be Destroyed.

Cool what are your thoughts on if '99 UConn shows up or '04.

Think they could keep it within 20?

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I get that, actually leads me to my next question. I saw a tweet from WRNL I think about your end of game numbers in the last month.

Any concern about regressing towards the mean?

(I'm a big numbers guy if you can't tell, I lived on KenPom last week)

The awesome thing is that our ridiculous end of game numbers ARE our regression to the mean. We like to go on a bit of a drought, and then CLOSE LIKE A M'FING BOSS!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I will say, kind of alarming none of you have mentioned Daniels.

He's our second best scorer. Couldn't keep me from dropping 20 on him, but great scorer.

Why is this alarming? No one on this board is stepping on the court Friday. I gaurantee you the coaching staff and players know who he is.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Cool what are your thoughts on if '99 UConn shows up or '04.

Think they could keep it within 20?

To paraphrase Rick Pitino "Rip Hamilton, ain't walking through that door, Ben Gordon ain't walking through that door, Emeka Okafor ain't walking through that door."

What if the '00 ISU teams shows up? Or the team from '44?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

UConn Must Be Destroyed.

I said hard D.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Welcome!

I do agree that UConn will have a significant fan advantage, but that is an adversity we have faced before.

In 2012, after we knocked you guys out of the Tournament, we had to face Kentucky in Louisville. We were hanging with Kentucky well into the second half before they slammed the door shut on us defensively and ran away with it. That was more about them having superior talent and less about the home court environment.

In 2013, after we knocked out Notre Dame, we had to face Ohio State in Dayton. If it wasn't for that doosher Aaron Craft hitting a 3 at the buzzer that game goes into overtime. Once again, it was less about home court environment and more about Ohio State having better talent. And one lucky as hell shot.

I will say one thing - never underestimate the mental toughness that is developed by playing road games in the Big 12, especially this year, being arguably the best conference. While we didn't win as many of those road games as we we would have liked, only one of those games we didn't have a chance to win was at West Virginia, an odd evening where our players couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with their shots while they couldn't miss a shot (they shot over .500 from the field, 13/22 from 3, 19/21 FTs). I'm not making excuses for that performance, I'm just saying it's an outlier to how this season has gone.

What I'm trying to say is I don't doubt for a second that UConn will have home court on Friday. All I'm saying is this team isn't fazed by tough environments. If we lose on Friday, it won't be because of UConn's fans, it will be because UConn beat us on the floor.

DrewPap85

Mar 24, 2014
To paraphrase Rick Pitino "Rip Hamilton, ain't walking through that door, Ben Gordon ain't walking through that door, Emeka Okafor ain't walking through that door."

What if the '00 ISU teams shows up? Or the team from '44?

Cute

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't agree with that. UCONN will have the largest contingent of fans and any team playing them is playing in a hostile environment. I would think the fans of those schools would rather play Iowa State (minus Niang) on a neutral floor than UCONN on a hostile floor.

I think UConn fans will create an environment that most non-UConn fans will not want to be part of. Thus, their 50% gets somewhat neutralized by non-UConn fans who come over to the good side for this game.

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
I get that, actually leads me to my next question. I saw a tweet from WRNL I think about your end of game numbers in the last month.

Any concern about regressing towards the mean?

(I'm a big numbers guy if you can't tell, I lived on KenPom last week)

Yes. Me personally, very very concerned.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You come back from as many large deficits and gut out as many tough games as this team did, it becomes a point of pride.

8 points in 90 seconds against UNC. 13 points in 3 minutes against Ohio State in Dayton last year. This team does not even think about losing close games. It doesn't mean they can't lose, but this team is tough down the stretch.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron