Carlos O'Kellys is Closing!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I just remembered going there last year. It was convenient because are hotel was across the street. I liked it and yes it was busy, but it was Friday night. We were seated by the bar, but it looked like there were some terrible places to sit towards the back.

Casa Las Glorias in Cedar Rapids. Forget about Carlos.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The last time I drove down Westown, I was shocked the Carlos O'Kellys was still there. And until this thread, I had completely forgotten that Ames even had one. I guess that makes me part of the problem.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
think I only went to Carlos once or twice while in Ames, and that's because it was walking distance from a friend's and we were only there for the margaritas.

Think I went to La Fuente twice, don't really remember it being all the great either time :\ Did there used to be something else on west Lincoln Way maybe around the Hy-Vee area? Can't find it on the map at all, but I remember going there.

Don't think I ever ate at El Azteca and now I wonder what I missed :(

Now I really want Mexican food, and there's two places that I love in Madison.........think I know where girls' night will be in a couple weeks!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm a chain restaurant snob anyway, but I wouldn't have noticed this if I hadn't read it here. no big loss

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
think I only went to Carlos once or twice while in Ames, and that's because it was walking distance from a friend's and we were only there for the margaritas.

Think I went to La Fuente twice, don't really remember it being all the great either time :\ Did there used to be something else on west Lincoln Way maybe around the Hy-Vee area? Can't find it on the map at all, but I remember going there.

Don't think I ever ate at El Azteca and now I wonder what I missed :(

Now I really want Mexican food, and there's two places that I love in Madison.........think I know where girls' night will be in a couple weeks!

You've missed basically the same food as that at La Fuente. It gets nauseating all those that gush over El Azteca as though it's God's gift to Mexican in comparison to La Fuente. I get it that you like it better, I don't care which one I go to, both are fine. I guess I don't get that into everyone knowing my name when I come back a month later so if that's the difference I would be a bad judge.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You've missed basically the same food as that at La Fuente. It gets nauseating all those that gush over El Azteca as though it's God's gift to Mexican in comparison to La Fuente. I get it that you like it better, I don't care which one I go to, both are fine. I guess I don't get that into everyone knowing my name when I come back a month later so if that's the difference I would be a bad judge.
He mad.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I find this disappointing because despite the Hok connection and the average at best food, it was the one place in Ames you could always go after a game and know you would get in right away. Of course, after a football game, the waitress dumped a pitcher of iced tea on my husband and me, but the food was free and we dried off eventually.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Taco Tico in Fort Dodge (the only thing in that town worth a ****) >>>>>>>>>>>>>> El Azteca >>>>>>>>>>>>> Carlos O'Kelly's