Carlos O'Kellys is Closing!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I honestly thought Carlos O'Kelly's had already closed.

I noticed El Azteca is getting a lot of love on here, does that mean La Fuente on Duff is closed? I liked El Azteca but always thought it came in 2nd to La Fuente when I was living in Ames. It's been a while so they may have closed or gone down hill since I lived there.
I still like La Fuente, but I think Azteca beats it on basically everything, better food, better service, nicer building, better parking, I like their salsa better.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I have had okay tasting meals at La Fuente. Besides the stomach issues after, it feels dirty, the parking stinks, and the vibe as a whole felt not welcoming. I wouldn't feel good about taking an infant there (more fore car seat space).

Reactions: Angie

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Quit talking smack about Carlos....that is where the Hokeyes have their weekly Hok Talk program.:SLEEP:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So many places are going out of business in 2014.

Seems mostly like most of them are businesses with longstanding problems that were on their way out though, and not signs of overall negativity in the market, which should bode well for seeing these businesses replaced.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
The Carlos O'Kelly's in the Cedar Rapids / Marion are is always busy. The only logically reason is that is full of hawk fans.

I never understood why people would go to those places when there is better and cheaper Mexican food places.
I just remembered going there last year. It was convenient because are hotel was across the street. I liked it and yes it was busy, but it was Friday night. We were seated by the bar, but it looked like there were some terrible places to sit towards the back.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I honestly thought Carlos O'Kelly's had already closed.

I noticed El Azteca is getting a lot of love on here, does that mean La Fuente on Duff is closed? I liked El Azteca but always thought it came in 2nd to La Fuente when I was living in Ames. It's been a while so they may have closed or gone down hill since I lived there.

IMO, the El Azteca on S. Dayton is not as good as Fuente, but the Somerset one is way better.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I don't eat Mexican when traveling. I like my local restaurant, La Casa Grande, and that really doesn't compare to anywhere else I've eaten

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I have had okay tasting meals at La Fuente. Besides the stomach issues after, it feels dirty, the parking stinks, and the vibe as a whole felt not welcoming. I wouldn't feel good about taking an infant there (more fore car seat space).
I have eaten at La Fuente twice and left disappointed both times. I have eaten at El Azteca 10+ times and left happy every single time. Great service, great food, and the price can't be beaten. You can take a date there and easily leave full with only a $20 bill with tip included.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I always wanted to blow up the Hawkeye bus that sits in front of the Carlos O'Kelly's on Merle Hay, but I don't really know how to blow things up...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Also, the entryway always smells like a toilet. But their food is still good.

Reactions: cyrevkah

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
IMO, the El Azteca on S. Dayton is not as good as Fuente, but the Somerset one is way better.

This makes more sense, I had no idea why people were praising the S Dayton El Azteca. I'm never up in Somerset and had no idea there was an Azteca up there. The one on S Dayton is ok but La Fuente is better

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This makes more sense, I had no idea why people were praising the S Dayton El Azteca. I'm never up in Somerset and had no idea there was an Azteca up there. The one on S Dayton is ok but La Fuente is better

It's definitely worth the trip. I was pretty much a die-hard Fuente fan until we discovered how good the Somerset one is.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
It's definitely worth the trip. I was pretty much a die-hard Fuente fan until we discovered how good the Somerset one is.

Is it a spice thing? I like the food at both, but Somerset is spicier (my tolerance died the last two years), but the customer service/friendliness is hugely better at Dayton.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Not terrible news. All of the local Mexican places are probably better than Carlos O'Kelly's. I haven't been in there for at least ten years, if not longer (same goes for Applebee's). Hopefully something decent will go in at some point, but I won't hold my breath over it. Like others said, hate to see people lose their jobs. Hope all affected quickly land on their feet, with larger paychecks because of it.

ISUAlum05

Nov 5, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Carlos O'Kelly's in the Cedar Rapids / Marion are is always busy. The only logically reason is that is full of hawk fans.

I never understood why people would go to those places when there is better and cheaper Mexican food places.

Seriously, there are so many better, cheaper Mexican places within a few minutes of the SW one. I can't fathom why people go to Carlos.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I would eat at Carlos O'Kelley's before La Fuente. I've ate at La Fuente twice and neither time was good (cold food, dirty atmosphere, bad parking, terrible service). El Azteca is #1 around Ames (both locations).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron