Monday Musings: Don't take the edge away from Ejim

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Valid points. What upset me more though was Ejim about picking up his 3rd technical foul in 2 games later on against Kansas State. Gotta be smarter than that, and we all know Melvin is a smart guy. All this being said I wouldn't trade the guy for anyone, but it doesn't do anyone any good for Melvin to be sitting on the bench with that chip on his shoulder. And that's what has happened now in two consecutive big games. It is possible to play with a chip on your shoulder without getting technicals. Players all over the country do it. (I do agree the one against K-State was garbage).

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Ejim has had my complete and unwavering support since even right after his first T on Wednesday, which was the 'bad one'. Great job illustrating how far Ejim has come individually as a player, Chris!

We as ISU FANS have absolutely NO RIGHT to expect more from Melvin than he already given us, not even one little bit, let alone have the right to criticize his demeanor that has made him great in his last handful of games. Its sad and wrong. We owe him 100% support.
**(Right now Melvin remembers our fan base as a group of supportive people who truly care about him and have always had his back, through thick n' thin. Please Fanatics, PLEASE let us keep it that way for him in these last couple games!)

Last edited:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
That was a terrible call by the ref. How come Gipson didn't get one for flexing in front of the Cyclone bench after dunking it? People, don't forget to vote for Mel and Hallie!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
As we all know, Melvin is one of the kindest, most intelligent student athletes we've ever had. He is also very competitive and leaves it all on the court. I know we rib him sometimes for missed dunks, but often it's because he's going all out trying to get a flush (yes a couple have been into the bottom of the rim). :)

I know he's a team player....but I also know he get frustrated his name isn't mentioned much even though statistically he is one of the best in the country. I was so glad to see the 30 pt game Saturday which should have wrapped up the scoring title...that with the rebound title last year puts him in an elite Big 12 class.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Also, I might go to the Okie State game just so I can be there to stand and cheer when his name is announced for Senior Day.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Embiid from KU can gyrate and talk all the trash he wants to as a freshman at Kansas.

Ejim cannot voice some emotion after a three in an opponent's face.

What's the problem here? The Big XII has to face it - stars get better treatment if they happen to be on the correct team in the conference - KU, U$T, etc

Beings Ejim is not on the perceived power team of the conference, then teams can manhandle him and be ultra-physical, because that is how to combat his style. However, if the officials do not protect one of the league's biggest stars of this season, then it becomes WWE action during too much of the game, and this has worn on Ejim & in particular in the past couple games. He has received some 'star' treatment in a couple games, but by & large, he has had this stellar season in the face of a challenging conference viewpoint on ISU, which has made it all the more impressive.

I hope Ej just uses this as additional fuel to end his senior campaign, controls it, & ends the season stronger then ever. Game before it affected his production. Vs KSU, it appeared to light a fire. That's what I hope continues is the latter for the remainder of this season (& wishing that remainder is as long as possible.)

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
As we all know, Melvin is one of the kindest, most intelligent student athletes we've ever had. He is also very competitive and leaves it all on the court. I know we rib him sometimes for missed dunks, but often it's because he's going all out trying to get a flush (yes a couple have been into the bottom of the rim). :)

I know he's a team player....but I also know he get frustrated his name isn't mentioned much even though statistically he is one of the best in the country. I was so glad to see the 30 pt game Saturday which should have wrapped up the scoring title...that with the rebound title last year puts him in an elite Big 12 class.

The real problem here is those damn All-Big 12 performers and their always expecting of an earned amount of respect, Geesh!

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
It is definitely an either/or proposition -- live with the technicals or turn Mel into an ineffective pushover. There can be no in-between, right? <jimlad>

I just think it reflects a lack of discipline. Everyone has things they can improve on and that is one of the things on Mel's list (way behind ballhandling, from my perspective but oh well). I'd be willing to be that he's disappointed in himself for getting those two calls. He's a terrific, but not perfect, player.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It is definitely an either/or proposition -- live with the technicals or turn Mel into an ineffective pushover. There can be no in-between, right? <jimlad>

I just think it reflects a lack of discipline. Everyone has things they can improve on and that is one of the things on Mel's list (way behind ballhandling, from my perspective but oh well). I'd be willing to be that he's disappointed in himself for getting those two calls. He's a terrific, but not perfect, player.

Am I the only one who has never noticed Ejim playing with an "edge" before? I just see they guy work hard, hustle, and have great positioning while improving his shot every year. Never noticed him being an on the court tough guy or anything like that.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Play with an edge, but be smart enough to not get T'ed up. You can do one without the other.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I hope Melvin is even more angry after Saturday. He has been in beast mode for several weeks now and he is a leader for the Big 12 POY, cut him some slack on the "T"s.

I like our chances in the Big Dance. The Big 12 teams know our players and our style of play. I think we will create some real matchup issues for teams that do not know us as well.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
The one at KSU doesn't bother me at all. That could be called 20 times a game and for some reason they decided to pick that one instance.

Getting one for throwing a fit after a foul call is the one I hope he's learned from.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Did anyone see that Arkansas guy after making the alley oop on Saturday? For those of you that didn't, after making this great alley oop, he pushes the defender out of the way pretty forcefully, pounds his chest, then starts screaming while not getting a technical called. I would say that's a million times worse than what Ejim did.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The two techs were night and day different. One was well deserved and a silly mistake. The other was an absolutely stupid call.

If you're mad at EJIM for the tech against KSU you must not watch basketball or you have no observational skills whatsoever. Was a stupid call. Same thing happened several times before and after the tech just in that same game, hundreds of times in all of ISU's games over the season.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The two techs were night and day different. One was well deserved and a silly mistake. The other was an absolutely stupid call.

If you're mad at EJIM for the tech against KSU you must not watch basketball or you have no observational skills whatsoever. Was a stupid call. Same thing happened several times before and after the tech just in that same game, hundreds of times in all of ISU's games over the season.

Yeah, the KSU tech was basically a "yeah, i nailed that shot" and it was somewhat directed to the player in front of him. Very subjective call. Watch any game...there are MANY times a player celebrates in a way that could be perceived the same way. Like someone said in the game thread, a lot of trash talk happens each game.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The whole team does talk to refs a lot and over reacts when calls don't go their way. That being said the Ts don't bug me. Emotions run high during games, things get said, and well the Ts that Ejim has got this year have all been very weak calls.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron