Team McDermott or Team Hoiberg

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I am hateful and vengeful and always root against Creighton. What bothered me most was the players that kept fleeing the program when he was here. Very suspicious about that.

you are hateful and vengeful towards Creighton when they paid to have the coach that wasn't a good fit at ISU? Thats messed up.... unless you still long for McD, as that would make sense.

The McD hire was thought of as a safe, reliable and good hire. It turned out he wasn't ready, and didn't have the connections. McD wouldn't be where he is today and have the success he is having if it wasn't for ISU ... and we wouldn't have the success today without Creighton buying McD out.

-keep

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Just wait till next year- Creighton cupboard will be bare. "The Glue" to that team- Gibbs, Manigat, McDermott, and Wragge are all seniors and will be long gone. Not sure they have the ponies to keep up in the next few years.

McDermott fell into a great group his initial year at Creighton and has been riding that wave ever since. Four years have passed and now it is all of his recruits from here on out. From what I hear from some of my Creighton friends they are somewhat worried what will come next.

Hoiberg has shown that he can reload every year. With current players, transfers, and jc's.

HOIBERG FOR THE WIN!

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
McDermott has proven only that he can win at a mid-major. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole at a major conference school.

Creighton arguably ascended from the mid-major ranks when they joined the Big East, which has a higher conference RPI than the ACC and SEC.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
you are hateful and vengeful towards Creighton when they paid to have the coach that wasn't a good fit at ISU? Thats messed up.... unless you still long for McD, as that would make sense.

The McD hire was thought of as a safe, reliable and good hire. It turned out he wasn't ready, and didn't have the connections. McD wouldn't be where he is today and have the success he is having if it wasn't for ISU ... and we wouldn't have the success today without Creighton buying McD out.

-keep

I think he is hateful and vengeful towards McD and then by proxy Creighton. McD can't fail without Creighton failing.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

-keep

I agree 100%. Greg had some bad luck at ISU. Creighton taking him and us getting Hoiberg truly has been a win win for both schools. I'm happy for Greg and Creighton and I am ecstatic with where we are with Coach Hoiberg and ISU.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
His style of play now is the uptempo thing he talked about for his last season here. It's no race to 40 out there. Actually a fun team to watch.

I haven't watched Creighton play, but I've seen some of the numbers they've put up. Too bad he wasn't able to do that here...although his failure ended with our gain of CFH, so I'd call it not a total loss.

Basketball with a heavy D emphasis (Wisconsin & most of the B1G) is just as boring as basketball with virtually NO defense (much of the NBA). I like a mix of fast play and tough D...makes it more exciting. :)

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Creighton arguably ascended from the mid-major ranks when they joined the Big East, which has a higher conference RPI than the ACC and SEC.

One year with the best player in the nation is obviously not a representative sample. Let's see how he does going forward.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
McDermott has proven only that he can win at a mid-major. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole at a major conference school.

Eh, BE is a push for major but I think he's right where he should be. Especially considering the coaches in the current big 12. Im not a gmac hater but I haven't seen anything that would make me believe he could hack it against that caliber of coach night in, night out. Creighton is a really good job, he's in an enviable situation from a coaches perspective. I wouldn't expect him to go anywhere anytime soon, voluntarily.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
im rooting for Creighton. I still respect Coach McD. It wasn't a good fit, but a stand up man with character.

My dream scenario for the NCAA tourney, sans ISU, is Iowa and Creighton meet up ... and meet up early (first weekend) , and watch Creighton cruise to the second weekend.

I agree with every word of this. McD was far from a "sack of crap" (now, that's fine to describe Chizik) - he just wasn't a good fit in the Big 12. Plays a different style of ball, coaches a different style of kid.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I'll take 19-5 in the Big 12 over 21-4 in the artist formerly known as the Big East anyday. My Vote: Dreamy

It will be borderline hilarious watching McD try to replace the 63% of their scoring that they lose next year.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I am hateful and vengeful and always root against Creighton. What bothered me most was the players that kept fleeing the program when he was here. Very suspicious about that.

From what I understand, McD was strict. For example, I don't think he would have likely babied Royce, look at the situation with Mike Taylor. I think that's a fine way to coach, but top recruits don't like it and don't want it. It just wasn't a good fit. I don't think he was a bad guy, it just wasn't right for him here.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Watched Creighton yesterday vs. Villanova and they looked really good, granted they were at home. With the media now behind him it looks like McDermott is going to be the National POY.

It got me to thinking, as ISU fans, would we rather have National POY candidate Doug McD and his dad at ISU this year (this year only) surrounded by several good role players - or - would we rather have the current ISU roster as presently assembled for this season only?

Wait until the Big East rebuilds and McDoormat doesn't have his All American son making him look good. It will be like what we saw at ISU.

Reactions: cyowan

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Hoiberg. I have a hard time supporting a coach who did not even attempt to recruit his own son to Iowa State, then immediately wants him to play at his new school once he left ISU. That Ames High team with Barnes, Dougy, and Bubu was a great team. A lot of coaches would have recruited the whole damned team to ISU, yet GMac couldn't land Barnes, and didn't recruit his own son. Pretty weak, imo.

Reactions: cyowan

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Hoiberg. I have a hard time supporting a coach who did not even attempt to recruit his own son to Iowa State, then immediately wants him to play at his new school once he left ISU. That Ames High team with Barnes, Dougy, and Bubu was a great team. A lot of coaches would have recruited the whole damned team to ISU, yet GMac couldn't land Barnes, and didn't recruit his own son. Pretty weak, imo.

Most posters here thought Greg's son was a mid major prospect at best. That's a pretty weak argument.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

I have absolutely zero doubt that if Barnes had come here and Greg's contract status was secure for the next 4 years, Doug would have played at ISU.

But the situation as it played out makes sense. The last thing a father/son coach/player duo want is for the father to be fired after his freshman season.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
is-this-real-life1.jpg

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It's incredible that even his father thought that as well.

I think he was disingenuous about that. It wasn't that he didn't think Dougie was good enough for ISU, he thought ISU wasn't good enough for his kid. And he drove plenty of good kids and players right out of town, whatever he was doing.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I believe McD had more NBA players than Fred, if I'm not mistaken? Correct me if I'm wrong, but McD had Taylor, Brackins and Garrett (although we all know he's where he is because of Fred, but the talent was always there). Fred had Garrett and Royce. So arguably you could say McD did less with more NBA talent than Fred did with less.

I don't hate on McD. I liked the hire, his system just didn't work. I wish him all the success in the world, but I'm ecstatic we've got Fred. It was a winning situation for everyone.