Better Coach - Self or Dreamy

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
God I hate that stupid grin that Self always has on his face.

Anyways, KU has KU talent and tradition, not too hard to be successful. But self has taken 2 programs to the NCAA title game. But he has also pooped the bed to some double digit seeds with that KU talent.

Fred has turned around a program circling the toilet, but has yet to get past the round of 32.

What say you?

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
God I hate that stupid grin that Self always has on his face.

Anyways, KU has KU talent and tradition, not too hard to be successful. But self has taken 2 programs to the NCAA title game. But he has also pooped the bed to some double digit seeds with that KU talent.

Fred has turned around a program circling the toilet, but has yet to get past the round of 32.

What say you?

Overall I like Self. He's fun to play against and he's obviously a very talented coach and recruiter. I don't know why we need to compare him to Fred, who's only in his third year of coaching.

I'm glad Self is at KU, and I'm glad Fred is at ISU because it means we get to see these two excellent coaches face off twice a year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Insufficient data to say definitively.

Until Fred can start taking away the conference titles from Self, I have to say that Bill is getting it done. However, I'm perfectly happy with the coach we have.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
I thought CFH outcoached Self last night. Impressive considering the difference in experience. Exchange coaches and what do you think the margin of victory would be????

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
This shouldn't even be a question. I love Fred and I think he has a great future in coaching at ISU but right now is undoubtedly Bill Self.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Self for sure. Dreamy just started coaching and maybe could catch up, but he's got a lot of championships to get first.

Cy83ag

Mar 20, 2010
Earlham
Self but only because he has a bigger body of work. If CFH stays long enough, he could surpass him.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
How far in the tourney's did Self's teams go before he was able to inherit the McD AA parade at UK? It would be an interesting head to head comparison to Fred.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Is this a serious question? I love Fred, don't get me wrong, but Self has been successful every single place he has been. He has also been more successful, year in and out, at Kansas than a lot of other coaches there.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
How far in the tourney's did Self's teams go before he was able to inherit the McD AA parade at UK? It would be an interesting head to head comparison to Fred.

I can't stand Self and I think Fred will be a better coach when it is all said and done, BUT two things:

Self has never coached at UK. He coaches at KU. UK is Kentucky.
Self went to Elite 8 with Tulsa and Illinois before he got to Kansas. He is a great coach and has done more with the players there than Roy Williams did.

I wouldn't trade them for the world. Fred is what is right about College Basketball. He doesn't constantly whine at the officials and throw a tirade like Self does. Just imagine if Self got screwed as much as ISU has. Fred has shown more class than Self time and time again.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Self has won 13/16 conference championships since he took the Tulsa job and never finished worse than 3rd. Holy damn.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
self is a winer and thinks he can work the refs no clas at all even Kansas fans will tell you he lacks a lot of class

Motown

Feb 26, 2008

-Turned around a putrid Oral Roberts program. Left after an NIT bid.
-Took Tulsa to an Elite Eight and 2nd rd game in 3 years.
-At Illinois he made an E8, S16 and 2nd rd in 3 years. He whipped Roy's Jayhawks good in the '01 tourney.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
At this juncture, I'd have to give a slight nod to Self. But Lon Kruger might be better than both of them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron