Sand Volleyball

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Are we fielding a team this year? There's no mention on Cyclones.com and nothing on the schedule. I thought this was announced last year - perhaps not.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
edit: I guess it is an "emerging sport" that they are keeping their eye on. But not an official NCAA sport.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
edit: I guess it is an "emerging sport" that they are keeping their eye on. But not an official NCAA sport.

Once they get to 40 teams that have competed as varsity teams for one year (Div I ad II), the NCAA would officially sanction it as a championship sport. I think there are around 35 teams right now.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I bet those socal kids are going to love coming to Ames to play sand volleyball. Homefield advantage in February is going to really help us.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I will throw all of my support behind us having a sand volleyball team. This is more important than the SEZ.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I had no clue sand volleyball was on the NCAAs radar. I know it's a popular club sport at a lot of schools.

When end would the season run?

My wife would be ecstatic if sand volleyball was at ISU. She would go to games for sure. She used to play on a club team in college and was damn good at it. Mainly 4 on 4 but did play some 2 person which is insanely hard.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Does anyone have any details on how they would compete?

Would it be 2 on 2? Would each college on multiple teams?

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It's becoming huge and ISU wouldve been rolling it out this year but they are taking a foreign trip so it probably won't be until next year.

To keep up with recruiting CJL needs this and will get it.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Individual games would be 2 on 2, not sure how many sets. Overall match is best of 5 (maybe 7), each coach announces a line-up of pairs and ranks them 1 through 5 (maybe 7) and then each teams 1's play against each other and so on down the line. So overall team is 10 players (maybe 14). I wonder if we would play indoors?

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Each school has five doubles teams ranked by ability. Each doubles team plays against the corresponding teams from the other school (1s vs. 1s, 2s vs. 2s, etc.) In a dual meet, the winning team is the one that wins three out of five matches. Individual matches are two sets to 21, with a tiebreaker set to 15 if needed. All sets are rally scored and must be won by two points.

There are also some rules differences between sand and court volleyball. In sand, no open-handed tipping is allowed and setting is called much more tightly, so bump-setting is more common than the overhead set. Also, the block-touch counts as the first of three allowable touches in sand as opposed to it not counting on court VB. Also, coaches are not allowed to speak to their teams or give any instructions or advice unless during a timeout and between sets. And to mitigate the impact of sun and wind, teams switch sides every seven points in a 21-point set and every five points in a 15-point set.

Once 40 Division I/II schools jump on board for two years, it will become an NCAA-sanctioned championship sport

Alabama
Arizona
Arizona State
Boise State
California
Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo
Cal State-Bakersfield
College of Charleston
Florida Atlantic
Florida Gulf Coast
Florida International
Florida State
Georgia State
Grand Canyon
Hawaii
Jacksonville
Long Beach State
Louisiana-Monroe
LSU
Loyola-Marymount
Mercer
Nebraska
North Florida
Notre Dame
Oregon
Pacific
Pepperdine
Sacramento State
San Francisco
South Carolina
St. Mary's (CA)
Santa Clara
Stanford
State College of Florida
Stetson
Tulane
UC-Irvine
UCLA
USC
Webber International

Reactions: ISUME

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think you will hear more about it in a few weeks. Right now the sand volleyball team is on break so they can compete at the Olympics in Sochi.

:jimlad:

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that collegiate sand volleyball teams wear uniforms pretty much identical to normal volleyball. No bikinis like the professionals :no:

Actually, they wore the bikini bottoms in the games I've seen on TV. They wore more substantial tops, but that may have been due to the cool temps. Not all the girls on the same team wore them, though. I think they can choose. It was on some crazy sports channel here.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
Anyone want to start a team at Sands in DSM this summer? Haven't played in a couple years, but always enjoy a little sand volleyball.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I dont know about all schools- but it is not your normal home and away games. There are 2 per team and 5 teams. I have seen most teams wear a track singlet and either bikini bottoms or the 2" or 4" boy shorts.

For Nebraska they will go to Hawaii for a week over spring break and play 5 matches then the next week they go to Phoenix and play 4 more there. Then thats a rap on the season.

The team consists of the same players as the indoor team has in the fall. Some players may not choose to play sand if they dont want to. I think that it is a recruiting advantage if you do have sand volleyball. Girls that are good enough to play both arent going to go to a school that only plays indoor. Does ISU have its own indoor sand court(s) to practice at? Until the sport gets bigger the team will always go Florida, California, Arizona, Hawaii for their matches.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
This is what Nebraska wore for its sand season. I assume all schools are similar

NFWVMMUAPRQNXCY.20130318205719.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron