Friday OT - Why are you a pain to be married to/live with/date?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Even so. Man, if I made a huge financial decision like that without consulting my wife, it would be a HUGE deal. Small stuff isn't a problem, but we at least have to talk about it.

Yeah, we consult for pretty much anything over $100. We never tell each other no on anything, but the large stuff is definitely discussed ahead of time.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Just a couple of examples about my spouse. Could write pages and pages

Unfinished projects - 4 years ago started putting vinyl baseboard in the garage. Four feet left undone.

Procrastinates - waits until major snowstorm to check the snowblower

Use of time - if he thinks a project will take an hour plan on 4-6

Doesn't like duvets or throw pillows

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Unfinished projects - 4 years ago started putting vinyl baseboard in the garage. Four feet left undone.

how could I forget about his procrastinating. Even he would say that's his worst trait. Had to spend the first three weeks after high school graduation doing a semester's worth of online calculus that he'd gotten behind on (he's kinda lucky he was still allowed to graduate!)Turned a paper in 9 days late one time in college. I love the man but he should be a professional procrastinator. Maybe he'll get to that someday. :twitcy:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Don't get me started on things about hubby that set me off (oddly enough, though, a couple of them are things that other people would love).

But what makes YOU tough to live with? ;)

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Even so. Man, if I made a huge financial decision like that without consulting my wife, it would be a HUGE deal. Small stuff isn't a problem, but we at least have to talk about it.

I get what your saying but it's not like I bought it out of our personal finances. My farming operation is a completely separate entity that has zero ties to our personal finances. She was very involved in the later stages of the closing. It just so happened that this farm came up in conversation about a different farm I am leasing and the owner had to have a definitive answer and purchase agreement in place that next day to meet some application deadlines for him if he were to sell it. They weren't planning on selling the farm but had told people that if a right buyer popped up they would.

It was kind of a right place right time thing that was too good of a deal on my end and the sellers end to pass up. I had about two hours to make a decision on it and my wife is impossible to get a hold of during the day so I made the decision to buy it.

My dad has done this to my mom on multiple occasions and they have been married for 43 years so I am just going to hope she sticks with me that long because this probably won't be the last time I do something like this.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I'm terrible at telling stories and probably shouldn't try. Also, I tend to talk to myself A LOT (it's how I work through problems). That always drove my girlfriend nuts when we were studying together. I'd be writing/revising a paper and be talking to myself the entire time.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Too much time on the computer, but I can't sit and watch stupid (in my mind) shows on TV unless there's something going on in my brain. I can usually find something somewhat interesting on the web to pique my interests, to include CF, of course.

Snoring.

I also sing along or whistle or keep the beat with my hands or fingers on the steering wheel when driving. I think if someone else did that all the time when I was riding along I'd get pretty annoyed. I also like to make up nonsensical lyrics to familiar songs. Lots of rhymes with "underwear" or "Scooby Do." for some reason. Also a few NSFW type lyrics.

Why the heck isn't this a thread about our Significant OTHER'S annoying habits and actions? THAT would be a HECK of a thread right there!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm with Farmin. Buying a farm is a business decision for his business.

if you own a small business that your spouse isn't part of, would you expect them to care?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm terrible at telling stories and probably shouldn't try. Also, I tend to talk to myself A LOT (it's how I work through problems). That always drove my girlfriend nuts when we were studying together. I'd be writing/revising a paper and be talking to myself the entire time.

haha, I do both of these. I still do the talking thing at work. Probably annoys the two other people they've put me with now in a little room.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I'm with Farmin. Buying a farm is a business decision for his business.

if you own a small business that your spouse isn't part of, would you expect them to care?

Exactly. I figured you would chime in on this one. It's not like I randomly bought a farm without having done this before and knew exactly what I was doing. It's a calculated decision for my business. It's an investment, it's not like I bought a farm and moved the whole family like on Green Acres.

Plus once I sat her down and went through the financial projections and showed her what it all meant it was all good. We own some other farms and have some other investments and when I showed her the timeline and what it will mean to our net worth in 10 years by adding this she went from ****** to as happy as can be.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
how could I forget about his procrastinating. Even he would say that's his worst trait. Had to spend the first three weeks after high school graduation doing a semester's worth of online calculus that he'd gotten behind on (he's kinda lucky he was still allowed to graduate!)Turned a paper in 9 days late one time in college. I love the man but he should be a professional procrastinator. Maybe he'll get to that someday. :twitcy:

This is male just in time planning. Very common in industry. Do not worry about it till you need it. Low stress.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale

Does any guy on this board like duvets or throw pillows? A bed needs one pillow, the one you sleep on. A couch needs no throw pillows. I don't want to have to move something when I sit down or lay down.

Reactions: ianoconnor

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Exactly. I figured you would chime in on this one. It's not like I randomly bought a farm without having done this before and knew exactly what I was doing. It's a calculated decision for my business. It's an investment, it's not like I bought a farm and moved the whole family like on Green Acres.

Plus once I sat her down and went through the financial projections and showed her what it all meant it was all good. We own some other farms and have some other investments and when I showed her the timeline and what it will mean to our net worth in 10 years by adding this she went from ****** to as happy as can be.

Keep them womenfolk out of man business.

Just kidding. I kind of see your point, kind of. Inevitably, your personal finances are linked to your business finances and I would think that would involve pulling your wife in on the decision making, but to each their own.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
Does any guy on this board like duvets or throw pillows? A bed needs one pillow, the one you sleep on. A couch needs no throw pillows. I don't want to have to move something when I sit down or lay down.

depending on the arms of the couch you may need one small pillow for your head. but that's it. i get in trouble for moving our 8 throw pillows between the couch to love seat depending on which one I want to sit in

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I am really bad at putting away clean laundry. I'll throw my clothes in the wash machine and dry them back to back with no problem. Side note: we have a washer/dryer 2-in-1 in our loft. It takes three hours to dry a load. I don't like it. Anyways, once the clothes are dry I'll take them out, fold them, and put them on our bed. I won't put them away before I go to sleep so I'll just throw them on the floor thus making my folding irrelevant. The clothes will sit on the floor and get wrinkled and I'll have to throw them back in the dryer before I wear them to get the wrinkles out. Second side note: throw a damp cloth with a dry wrinkled shirt into a dryer to get the wrinkles out. It is so much better than ironing. If you didn't already know about this, do it. You're welcome. Luckily our utility bills are included in the rent so I can do this time and time again and not have to pay for it. It's an evil process I have mastered.

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
To counter act being awful at putting away clean laundry, I am a master at what I call "Adult Tetris" which is strategically loading the dishwasher to its fullest potential. It's a blessing and a curse because I always have to do the dishes because my wife is awful at it but I only have to do it once.

Help Support Us

Become a patron