Fred Hoiberg statement

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I will lose a lot of respect if he plays Bubu. No good comes from it. He is a below average player, a distraction, and he needs to move on now. He brought this situation on himself, and it is no doubt a tough lesson to learn, but this nonsense of suing for your spot on team is pathetic.

Did you watch how BuBu improved last year's team after he started playing, a team that did well in the NCAA tournament? He was expected to compete for a starting spot this year. And all BuBu wants is to be treated like everybody else. Now when it becomes a team rule to kick everybody off the team that has had pre-marital sex with someone who has been drinking, then your statement might make some sense.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I agree fully. However, I still believe those on the BOR, the President, and the department have access to a heck of a lot more evidence then you or I do.
So why did Stahle not release all their info to the district judge? They now have until 31 Jan to do so per judge. Seems like they may be hiding some of the info if it puts them also in bad light like internal delays. They cannot have it both ways...release of only info they want to release...that would not be impartial. Who are we protecting here? Randy Petersen will have a hay day.

Last edited:

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
While I personally am not big on the idea of Bubu back on the team, I completely trust Fred's judgment on this. He knows what is best for team chemistry and how much, if any, distraction this may be. Fred's made the right decision in every way with this program, I expect no different now.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Are Nader and McKay traveling to Texas? If so, and Bubu's not, I read that as being an intentionally noncommittal and boring way of saying he's off the team. Minimal drama, maintain the poker face, classic CFH.

Eligible players on the team travel to away games. Since neither McKay or Nader are eligible to play, they don't travel.

Technically... now that Bubu is officially eligible he could travel with the team to Texas... and play for that matter.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
One of those reasons being the accuser losing all credibility by fabricating evidence, but I guess that's not important!

Was told by an ISU student at the Kansas game that the reason she fabricated the evidence was to try and convince her current boyfriend that it was not consensual since Bubu was her former boyfriend and this was a way to justify her actions or lack of. Don't agree with Leath getting involved but maybe he fell on his sword, taking responsibility for the decision away from those down the line. He became the scapegoat or focal point..

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I don't really care about the politics or morality of it all. My thought is a quality PG coming off the bench, that'll be in game shape by tourney time, is nothing but good news. If that's how it plays out.

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
The problem with this thread, and the opinions of 90% of every thread in this forum, is no one here has more than a fraction of the actual facts or insight into what decisions have been or should be made. Yet we all act like we know what's best for the teams, players, coaches, etc., and know more than those actually involved. It's pretty laughable, really.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I will lose a lot of respect if he plays Bubu. No good comes from it. He is a below average player, a distraction, and he needs to move on now. He brought this situation on himself, and it is no doubt a tough lesson to learn, but this nonsense of suing for your spot on team is pathetic.

Yeah, below average which is why Fred would have started him at beginning of the year. At the risk of going out on a limb, I'm going to say Fred is a better judge of talent and playing ability than you or anyone else on this board. If people believe it's pathetic that a person is exercising their constitutional right, it's that belief that's pathetic.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
He was deemed to be unfit for the team.l Only the University, Athletic Department, or coach should be able to determine that. This sets a TERRIBLE precedent in the courts.

I don't care what people think he did or didnt do. Also, he was not found innocent, people need to quit saying that. Dismissal of charges does not denote innocence, it means they could not continue the trial for various reasons.

Please educate yourself on the chain of events. There was no trial to be continued...the charges were dropped, and the trial never started. Bubu was not deemed to be unfit for the team. He returned to the team and played in 17 games in the 2012/13 after the charges were dropped. Up until August of 2013 he was still on the team (even though the appeal of his reinstatement apparently began earlier than that). President Leath made what appears to be a politically expedient decision to remove Bubu from the team, which he delayed making until after it was too late for Bubu to go elsewhere if he chose. Then the BOR essentially rubber-stamped it. However, Bubu was allowed to remain in school. This is now about the manner in which the University's upper administration and BOR applied (or didn't apply) their own appeals process.

You might want to consider reading what the judge who issued the stay had to say about the manner in which President Leath and the BOR handled all of this.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Was told by an ISU student at the Kansas game that the reason she fabricated the evidence was to try and convince her current boyfriend that it was not consensual since Bubu was her former boyfriend and this was a way to justify her actions or lack of. Don't agree with Leath getting involved but maybe he fell on his sword, taking responsibility for the decision away from those down the line. He became the scapegoat or focal point..

If she's bold enough to fabricate evidence in a criminal case, I'm thinking her boyfriend may not be able to trust her then or now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I agree fully. However, I still believe those on the BOR, the President, and the department have access to a heck of a lot more evidence then you or I do.

Not anymore than the administrative law judge or whatever the title was of the person who ruled first before Leath overturned it.

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Let him back on the team for chemistry reasons (players see it as having their backs), doesn't every have to log a minute in a game.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Why should Bubu be allowed back? Can't athletic programs kick players off teams without needing a legal reason? He still gets his scholarship, so why is the team be obligated to let him play/practice? What right does Bubu have to be there that I wouldn't have? Can I go to court to force them to let me join the team? I guess I wasn't aware you can legally force your way onto an athletics program.

All this ruling did is permit the athletic department to reinstate. It stays the universities prohibition, it doesn't direct Jamie or Fred to put him on the team, it can't. It is still like at will employment, they can let anyone go at any time and are under no obligation to put him back on the team. It's just a choice they have now that they did not have earlier.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Bubu hasn't been on the team all year, the chances of him being Big 12 ready at this point I will guess are slim. We may see him with Ellerman against TCU or Tech.

Bubu will not play again at ISU. JP made sure of that.

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
How do SEC teams get away with kicking players off of their football teams every year?

Was he on scholarship last year? When did this whole messy ordeal happen? Maybe those football players that get kicked off of scholarship in the SEC each year should take note and sue their schools.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
It became a legal matter with the actions of Leath and the BOR, with the aid of the AAG. Why do people not understand that? Bubu had the right to appeal to a district court and he did that, and won the stay. If it were not a legal matter, it would not have been subject to review by a district judge. It would have stopped with the BOR, or possibly even with the president.

I think everybody understands what's going on. My guess is those that are choosing to complain about it are those that have made up their mind that Bubu is guilty, a horrible human being, and he should just disappear and lead a life of quiet shame.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Bubu will not play again at ISU. JP made sure of that.

And he just might lose a coach because of that decision. From all account CFH was not happy with the original decision and I am sure JP's statement doesn't make him happy either.