Fred Hoiberg statement

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
The biggest problem with the PR in this situation is the statement by Pollard. That is it.

Let's just say he skips his first sentence and only says the second. That ends it and in no way puts Fred in any sort of bind at all. Jesus freaking ******. What the **** was he thinking at all when he released that.

End of rant.

“We are disappointed to learn of the district court judge’s decision to reinstate Bubu Palo to our basketball team,” Pollard’s statement said. “We believe the university should have the sole right and responsibility to determine any student’s participation in extracurricular activities at Iowa State University.”

That should have been it. Done. Nobody is put in a bad spot, and Pollard makes his point. Effing stupid....

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Since she was drunk, that's a failure. Keep the pants on and go home.
Still not defending Leath.
If Fred leaves, I won't defend him, either. Big boys have to deal with good and bad bosses. If this is a dream job, then quitting just because of one difficult deal is pathetic and unjustifiable.
Was she drunk, or did she lie about that too? Was Bubu drinking when he decided to have sex? Perhaps he should have claimed he was raped. Blaming Bubu for this mess is like blaming an actual rape victim for the crime because they put themselves in a bad situation.

Doubtful any dream job involves having your bosses screw you over.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Was she drunk, or did she lie about that too? Was Bubu drinking when he decided to have sex? Perhaps he should have claimed he was raped. Blaming Bubu for this mess is like blaming an actual rape victim for the crime because they put themselves in a bad situation.

Doubtful any dream job involves having your bosses screw you over.

Every job is going to have a boss problem.

Equating Bubu's own situation to rape doesn't work. The man made a conscious decision, and a bad one. If he's responsible that night, none of this happens, and the string of failure doesn't have to begin.

But he's back. He's on the team. Whatever happens now isn't part of this deal, until whatever final decision the court makes.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Since she was drunk, that's a failure. Keep the pants on and go home.
Still not defending Leath.
If Fred leaves, I won't defend him, either. Big boys have to deal with good and bad bosses. If this is a dream job, then quitting just because of one difficult deal is pathetic and unjustifiable.

I was an RA in the towers when some drunk students decided to tag team another drunk student in the den, they of course were not happy when the cops came to break up the party. Really poor judgement by all involved but stuff happens in college and since charges were dropped, I think the mistake was not to drop the issue. We will see but I think putting up a fight now to keep him off the team does more damage than moving on.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I was an RA in the towers when some drunk students decided to tag team another drunk student in the den, they of course were not happy when the cops came to break up the party. Really poor judgement by all involved but stuff happens in college and since charges were dropped, I think the mistake was not to drop the issue. We will see but I think putting up a fight now to keep him off the team does more damage than moving on.

But nobody is putting up that fight. Just one dumb AD statement.
Saying "college happens" is a pretty poor way to look at these things. That opens a lot of troubling doors.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
But nobody is putting up that fight. Just one dumb AD statement.
Saying "college happens" is a pretty poor way to look at these things. That opens a lot of troubling doors.

do we know they aren't going to fight it? I hope they don't. Move on and let the kid earn his time on the court. If you feel you were wrongly accused, I would fight it too. The easy thing to do would have been to transfer and move on.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Now I see the register editorial board is trying to tell Fred how to run his basketball team, stating "BuBu Palo will almost certainly not suit up again as an Iowa State Cyclone". They also state that BuBu was re-instated to the team before the charges were dropped, but I'm sure that's not correct. I didn't think he was re-instated until after the charges were dropped as opposed to David Irving who was re-instated before his charges were dropped. What a mess this is putting Fred in as he will likely have to testify at the trial if the administration keeps digging in their heels on this. With JP basically telling the judge he didn't like his decision and to stay out of ISU's business, the result of a trial is not looking good, and the way this is going, punitive damages on top of the other damages is a real possibility. The way our administration is handling this is a plaintiff attorney's dream. Please end this asap JP and Leath before this gets even more national attention and our athletics are seriously hurt.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Now I see the register editorial board is trying to tell Fred how to run his basketball team, stating "BuBu Palo will almost certainly not suit up again as an Iowa State Cyclone". They also state that BuBu was re-instated to the team before the charges were dropped, but I'm sure that's not correct. I didn't think he was re-instated until after the charges were dropped as opposed to David Irving who was re-instated before his charges were dropped. What a mess this is putting Fred in as he will likely have to testify at the trial if the administration keeps digging in their heels on this. With JP basically telling the judge he didn't like his decision and to stay out of ISU's business, the result of a trial is not looking good, and the way this is going, punitive damages on top of the other damages is a real possibility. The way our administration is handling this is a plaintiff attorney's dream. Please end this asap JP and Leath before this gets even more national attention and our athletics are seriously hurt.

You need to reread the editorial. The Register was surmising that Bubu won't play, not telling Fred what to do. "Bubu Palo will almost certainly not suit up again as an Iowa State Cyclone, so the ultimate question is whether the university’s handling of his case wrongly and prematurely ended his athletic prospects everywhere else, too."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...y-troubled-by-ISU-s-treatment-of-Palo?Opinion

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
You need to reread the editorial. The Register was surmising that Bubu won't play, not telling Fred what to do. "Bubu Palo will almost certainly not suit up again as an Iowa State Cyclone, so the ultimate question is whether the university’s handling of his case wrongly and prematurely ended his athletic prospects everywhere else, too."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...y-troubled-by-ISU-s-treatment-of-Palo?Opinion

Maybe "trying to tell Fred what to do" is a little strong, but I quoted the register word for word, and imo that statement only puts added pressure on Fred not to play BuBu and creates a divide ( if there already isn't one) between Fred and the administration if he does suit up BuBu. You can interpret it how you want.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Every job is going to have a boss problem.

Equating Bubu's own situation to rape doesn't work. The man made a conscious decision, and a bad one. If he's responsible that night, none of this happens, and the string of failure doesn't have to begin.
If coaching ISU becomes like every job for Fred, then it is not the dream job...that is the point.

Did Bubu make a conscious decision or was he drinking too?
Nevertheless, assigning blame to Bubu by saying Bubu made a conscious decision that was harmless in itself but ended up putting him in a bad position and started this chain of events is the same as saying someone that consciously made the decision to go out alone and drink too much while flirting has some type of blame in a rape.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Has there ever been a Head Coach/AD/President of the University? If not, then Fred should be the first, if there has been, Fred should be the next in line for this title.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't know where this situation is headed, but Jamie Pollard is a circus publicly. Always has, always will. Someday it will bite him in the ***. It remains to be seen if this is that situation.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Missed the part where I mentioned additional evidence.
In this scenario, all that's happened is failure.

Bubu has the initial failure to keep his pants on. That starts the whole fracas.
Leath looks to have failed at his part at least once. That intensifies the train wreck.

Frankly, and this is more for the "Fred could leave" crowd, if he can't deal with one unhappy incident on a job and leaves for that reason, he'll be a failure, too.

I don't support anybody in this. Nobody deserves it. The whole thing is a pathetic episode of failure.

You're usually a pretty reasonable guy, but I just about spit out my coffee on the bolded portion. Fred is a failure if he leaves? Is that a joke? He came from no head coaching experience and took a team that hadn't made the NCAA in 6 years to back-to-back(-likely-to-back) NCAA bids. If he then leverages that to a coveted NBA HC job (and I'm not talking about the Cleveland Cavaliers or the Charlotte Bobcats, then I don't know anyone outside of deranged ISU fans who would think he was a failure here.

We're playing with house money as it is. Any other coach in his shoes would've probably been gone last year and it's clear that Fred has elevated his stock to a place where he doesn't have to settle for anything less than a dream job here.

I don't think he'd leave over this, but I sure couldn't blame him if it eventually factors into his decision to do so.