Fred Hoiberg statement

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I will lose a lot of respect if he plays Bubu. No good comes from it. He is a below average player, a distraction, and he needs to move on now. He brought this situation on himself, and it is no doubt a tough lesson to learn, but this nonsense of suing for your spot on team is pathetic.
I will be sorely disappointed if Fred does not play him within the month. He fits on the team, he has progressed from a walkon to a scholarship player, he is an excellent student, and he was not fully convicted and found guilty like others in the past on the football or basketball team. Sometimes you have to act bigger than your mouth.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Don't expect him to necessarily play within the month. From what I've heard he hasn't been working out like he did the first go around. Likely lots of conditioning before he plays.

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
Are Nader and McKay traveling to Texas? If so, and Bubu's not, I read that as being an intentionally noncommittal and boring way of saying he's off the team. Minimal drama, maintain the poker face, classic CFH.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
being on a basketball team is a privilege............now if they would have kicked him out of school, then it is probably more of a legal matter. Hoiberg has the ability to allow anyone on his team that is eligible to play, if he doesn't want someone on his team he does not have a legal obligation to allow him.

It became a legal matter with the actions of Leath and the BOR, with the aid of the AAG. Why do people not understand that? Bubu had the right to appeal to a district court and he did that, and won the stay. If it were not a legal matter, it would not have been subject to review by a district judge. It would have stopped with the BOR, or possibly even with the president.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I will say I will lose alot of respect for Fred if he regurgitates the party line and doesn't let Bubu play.

I would say just win. I won;'t lose respect for Fred over the Bubu incident. I just won't.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I will be sorely disappointed if Fred does not play him within the month. He fits on the team, he has progressed from a walkon to a scholarship player, he is an excellent student, and he was not fully convicted and found guilty like others in the past on the football or basketball team. Sometimes you have to act bigger than your mouth.

I'll be disappointed as well, but I really don't feel like any of us are in a position to second guess whatever decision he makes. He has more knowledge of the situation, the team, and Bubu as a person, than any of us do. He'll make the decision he thinks is best for the team, and I wouldn't want it any other way. In my opinion, once it was determined that Bubu was going to be allowed to stay in school, this decision should have been Fred's and Fred's alone. At this point I'm just glad that the right person will be making the decision.

mr89ia

Mar 9, 2010
Madison,WI

He was deemed to be unfit for the team.l Only the University, Athletic Department, or coach should be able to determine that. This sets a TERRIBLE precedent in the courts.

I don't care what people think he did or didnt do. Also, he was not found innocent, people need to quit saying that. Dismissal of charges does not denote innocence, it means they could not continue the trial for various reasons.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Why should Bubu be allowed back? Can't athletic programs kick players off teams without needing a legal reason? He still gets his scholarship, so why is the team be obligated to let him play/practice? What right does Bubu have to be there that I wouldn't have? Can I go to court to force them to let me join the team? I guess I wasn't aware you can legally force your way onto an athletics program.

Yes, that is why they have a court system for appeals. They wrote their own process.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Redshirts typically do not travel, so him staying back is not odd at all since he hasn't even practiced and likely won't have a chance to until after the Texas game anyway.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He was deemed to be unfit for the team.l Only the University, Athletic Department, or coach should be able to determine that. This sets a TERRIBLE precedent in the courts.

I don't care what people think he did or didnt do. Also, he was not found innocent, people need to quit saying that. Dismissal of charges does not denote innocence, it means they could not continue the trial for various reasons.

Dismissal of charges does not mean automatic guilt either.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
being on a basketball team is a privilege............now if they would have kicked him out of school, then it is probably more of a legal matter. Hoiberg has the ability to allow anyone on his team that is eligible to play, if he doesn't want someone on his team he does not have a legal obligation to allow him.

I think part of the problem is that Hoiberg wanted him on the team (i.e. a scholarship for the 2013-2014 school year).

Then after that was agreed to, he was kicked off the team. From my understanding, the lawsuit is regarding whether the correct processes were followed regarding his dismissal by the President and the appeal to the BOR.

I'm not sure, but it's likely a rule that once an athlete is under scholarship for an academic year, they can not be dismissed from the team without just reason - and there is likely an appeals process.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I will lose a lot of respect if he plays Bubu. No good comes from it. He is a below average player, a distraction, and he needs to move on now. He brought this situation on himself, and it is no doubt a tough lesson to learn, but this nonsense of suing for your spot on team is pathetic.

Fred will get past this.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'll be disappointed as well, but I really don't feel like any of us are in a position to second guess whatever decision he makes. He has more knowledge of the situation, the team, and Bubu as a person, than any of us do. He'll make the decision he thinks is best for the team, and I wouldn't want it any other way. In my opinion, once it was determined that Bubu was going to be allowed to stay in school, this decision should have been Fred's and Fred's alone. At this point I'm just glad that the right person will be making the decision.
Fred may go to team members and ask them first.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

One of those reasons being the accuser losing all credibility by fabricating evidence, but I guess that's not important!