Fred Hoiberg statement

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Good for Fred for not making some Jack-*** statement given to him from Jamie via Leath. Fred won't put up with any of their stupid political non-sense and he'll have Bubu's back and bring him under the teams umbrella before he gets behind any ISU political rhetoric by frick and frack,,, eeeer I mean Jamie and Leath.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I just dont get why Fred cant pull his scholarship for what ever reason, and or cut him from the team? What keeps every single player in america going to a judge for being suspended for violating undisclosed team violations? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I just dont get why Fred cant pull his scholarship for what ever reason, and or cut him from the team? What keeps every single player in america going to a judge for being suspended for violating undisclosed team violations? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Maybe because Fred doesn't think he violated a team rule, or if he did he's paid a high enough price and wants him back on the team like he did last year.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The athletic department and Fred have already ruled on this. They brought him back last year.

The problem is how can he violate the code of conduct bad enough to not be allowed to play but be in perfectly good standing else ware. Read what I said earlier.

I feel that JP is basically just saying the things he is supposed to. JP reinstated Bubu. Am I wrong?

His whole comment doesn't really make sense if he said Bubu could play then he was overruled by Leath.

I don't really get why the decision to allow him to play is up to anyone outside of the Athletic Department. Not even the President of the University should be able to change that unless there were criminal charges. The President and the code of conduct should not matter whether or not he is an athlete. It kind of comes down to the reverse discrimination type of stuff. If Leath found that he should be punished then it should have been about his academic standing not his athletic standing. I think that this basically forces the Athletic Department to suspend or kick him off since he isn't in school.

I don't know if I explained that very well but basically academic and athletics should be kept seperate except if you are punished academically you have to be punished athletically since you are a "Student Athlete".​

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I agree with this. Bubu could hit an open 3 and drive it to the hole last year. I don't know why some people question how long it would take him to be big 12 ready either. I mean he's been in CFH's system for a number of years, played at the Big12 and NCAA tournament level, and this is a ~23 year old, I'm sure he's in decent shape and it's not like he would be playing 36 minutes a game anyways.

On the sad side, he has already done this before too. Twice, if you count coming back from his hand injury in 2011-2012. Fred and Bubu should know how to work him back into the rotation.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Until he is proven guilty he is innocent.

He was deemed to be unfit for the team.l Only the University, Athletic Department, or coach should be able to determine that. This sets a TERRIBLE precedent in the courts.

I don't care what people think he did or didnt do. Also, he was not found innocent, people need to quit saying that. Dismissal of charges does not denote innocence, it means they could not continue the trial for various reasons.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Bottom line is if Fred doesn't want him back on the team he is under no obligation to let him back on. We'll find out soon where he stands I'm sure. Just because he has his eligibility restored doesn't mean by law he is forced to let him back and play. We'll find out more as this soap opera drama plays out but if they felt they had reason to dismiss him from the team just because he wasn't charged with a crime doesn't mean he may not have used poor judgement and still did some type of questionable behavior even though there was not enough proof to convict him of a crime. Like some people have said there are only a few people that know the real truth. We were doing just fine without Bubu on the team this season and hopefully this doesn't become a distraction and take away from the great start we have had so far.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You are correct, if Kane were only a PG. The fact that Kane can play the 1-4 could make Bubu's availability useful. I don't think anyone is expecting major minutes from him in any case.
We are looking for that fifth player. Moving Kane to 2 spot and letting Monte and Bubu be PGs might solidify the team.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Is there anybody left to voice an opinion after three monster threads, anybody???

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Bottom line is if Fred doesn't want him back on the team he is under no obligation to let him back on. We'll find out soon where he stands I'm sure. Just because he has his eligibility restored doesn't mean by law he is forced to let him back and play. We'll find out more as this soap opera drama plays out but if they felt they had reason to dismiss him from the team just because he wasn't charged with a crime doesn't mean he may not have used poor judgement and still did some type of questionable behavior even though there was not enough proof to convict him of a crime. Like some people have said there are only a few people that know the real truth. We were doing just fine without Bubu on the team this season and hopefully this doesn't become a distraction and take away from the great start we have had so far.
See this is not true. He let Bubu back on the team last year. Nothing has changed with the facts of the case so Fred has to follow what he did then. The only thing I can see that you argue that might have changed is the team accepting him back and you would have a hard time proving that after what they said today. He doesn't have to play him, but he could probably be held in violation if he doesn't let him on the team.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The fabricated evidence is bothersome to the case. Why did the family make this dress evidence up. Why so late? Was there no evidence. She rode home with ex acquitances. Just the whole scheme of circumstances that have leaked out tends to beg the question of guilt. Then ISU does not even provide enough evidence to the district court. They provide only the older known basics. What are they hiding? They look inept and perhaps involved in screw ups.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
See this is not true. He let Bubu back on the team last year. Nothing has changed with the facts of the case so Fred has to follow what he did then. The only thing I can see that you argue that might have changed is the team accepting him back and you would have a hard time proving that after what they said today. He doesn't have to play him, but he could probably be held in violation if he doesn't let him on the team.

I'm not sure that's the case, is it? Fred has the right to boot anyone he wants off the team, doesn't he?

I guess I don't see the harm in at least letting him sit on the bench? Heck, we may even need him if we get into foul trouble sometime.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Please educate yourself on the chain of events. There was no trial to be continued...the charges were dropped, and the trial never started. Bubu was not deemed to be unfit for the team. He returned to the team and played in 17 games in the 2012/13 after the charges were dropped. Up until August of 2013 he was still on the team (even though the appeal of his reinstatement apparently began earlier than that). President Leath made what appears to be a politically expedient decision to remove Bubu from the team, which he delayed making until after it was too late for Bubu to go elsewhere if he chose. Then the BOR essentially rubber-stamped it. However, Bubu was allowed to remain in school. This is now about the manner in which the University's upper administration and BOR applied (or didn't apply) their own appeals process.

You might want to consider reading what the judge who issued the stay had to say about the manner in which President Leath and the BOR handled all of this.

You're right, I went to the Register and read the judge's ruling and he has some very interesting things to say about the handling of this case by Leath and the BOR. Makes Leath and the BOR look pretty shady.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...nted-in-judge-s-ruling-on-Bubu-Palo?Frontpage

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron