***Official*** ISU MBB Meltdown thread...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It will be interesting to see how this team responds after a loss, and if the chemistry remains in tact.

ISU could easily have at least 4 losses now, so waiting until conference play, on the road against a tough team for the 1st one isn't so bad.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It will be interesting to see how this team responds after a loss, and if the chemistry remains in tact.

ISU could easily have at least 4 losses now, so waiting until conference play, on the road against a tough team for the 1st one isn't so bad.

Picking the season I'd have picked us to be 2-1 in conf with this loss, but I'd have guessed a minimum of two non-conf between Iowa/BYU/Mich/UNI/hawaii tournament. I thought 3 was more likely than 2 actually.

I'm not sure what it will take for me to think Baylor will beat ISU in Hilton. They'd probably need to be #1 coming off a national championship with a coach besides Drew and we had a losing record going into the game.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Not stressed at all, other than Kane's condition obviously.

OU shot out of their minds, OUT OF THEIR MINDS from deep. Buddy Freaking Hield, BUDDY HIELD lit us up from 3 and our guys couldn't hit the backside of the barn. Spangler should have fouled out from all those over the backs on the offensive glass and we only lost by 5.

Normally the above is recipe for 20 point beat down on the road and we lost by 5 to a team that will probably Dance.

We are really good you guys and will put a monumental smack down on them in Ames.

Get well DeAndre!

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Sooners out ISU'ed ISU. No problems with that. As long as we Kane them in Hilton in a couple of weeks.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The spooners shot better, rebounded better unfortunately we did not do exceptionally well in both those categories, but it's one game ONE GAME!! On to Kansas those ******. Let's rock the ******* house!!!

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
The Reason We Lost

It's simple: box out. Ejim, Hogue, and Niang clearly don't know how to box out and it cost is the game. We made Spangler look like Dennis Rodmam today. The worst part, too, is we would usually sit there once they grabbed an offensive board and just let them score. If we had boxed out, that's a ten-fifteen point swing right there and the game is our. I hope Sadler and Hoiberg are preaching this to our forwards right now. Perry Ellis will eat us up on Monday if we don't fix this problem.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Re: The Reason We Lost

Ejim led the Big 12 in rebounding last year. I'm pretty sure he knows how to block out. Hogue currently leads the Big 12 in rebounding.

But yes, the rebounding was bad today.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Melvin needs to step up and play the entire game like he does after he gets ****** off. He seems to play better angry.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

We are top 25 nationally in defensive rebounding. We know how to box out. I hate how 1 loss brings out the stupid.

Also, 31% offensive rebound % isnot horrible. Above our average, but lower than we gave up to Iowa or Akron.

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Yes, Spangler ate Hogue and Ejim's lunch today. It happens. You have off days. You hope that when a couple of your players aren't "on" that other guys can pick up the slack, but today we didn't have enough.

Fortunately, we have 15 more B12 games. We need to go 12-3 in that stretch to win the league. Not impossible, but it makes Monday nearly a "must win".

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

You have to give credit to Spangler for getting position and cleaning up. It's not like we let him just walk in and grab rebounds. If he was our's today we would be talking about what a beast he was on the boards. He's a pretty quick dude and got the size to go with it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Yes, Spangler ate Hogue and Ejim's lunch today. It happens. You have off days. You hope that when a couple of your players aren't "on" that other guys can pick up the slack, but today we didn't have enough.

Fortunately, we have 15 more B12 games. We need to go 12-3 in that stretch to win the league. Not impossible, but it makes Monday nearly a "must win".

Monday was already a 'must win' to win the conference. Nobody can afford losses at home and expect to win it.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

The trend on rebounding has not been good. Seems as if N Illinois, Tech, Baylor, and OU beat us down on the boards. Athletic ability can only do so much against size.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

It's simple: box out. Ejim, Hogue, and Niang clearly don't know how to box out and it cost is the game. We made Spangler look like Dennis Rodmam today. The worst part, too, is we would usually sit there once they grabbed an offensive board and just let them score. If we had boxed out, that's a ten-fifteen point swing right there and the game is our. I hope Sadler and Hoiberg are preaching this to our forwards right now. Perry Ellis will eat us up on Monday if we don't fix this problem.

We lost for this reason: 14 Threes. hard to win any game when your opponent makes 14 threes. End of story.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Melvin needs to step up and play the entire game like he does after he gets ****** off. He seems to play better angry.

Dont get Ejim angry Perry Ellis. You wont like him when he's angry.