Ejim is No Small Forward

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Kane only shoots 25% from 3, I better never see him take another ******* three again....:rolleyes:

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
He needs to work on his floater

Or how bout he stops and hits a 7 foot jumper? He drives me crazy with his drives to the basket. He does not have the skillset for a floater. Either take it strong or hit the midrange. I wouldn't trade Melvin for anybody, but his game is ugly.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Or how bout he stops and hits a 7 foot jumper? He drives me crazy with his drives to the basket. He does not have the skillset for a floater. Either take it strong or hit the midrange. I wouldn't trade Melvin for anybody, but his game is ugly.

I agree

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If he would have went in and dunked it on that guy you wouldn't be saying that.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
If he would have went in and dunked it on that guy you wouldn't be saying that.

Well duh. But he dribbled it off his foot. He didn't get it stolen or knocked away. He dribbled it off his foot. It's not hard to watch Melvin and see he isn't as coordinated and fluid as most guys playing a true small forward position. The good news is he's an elite rebounder, a good 3-point shooter, and the best free throw shooter on the team. We aren't a traditional team and Melvin isn't a traditional player.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Well duh. But he dribbled it off his foot. He didn't get it stolen or knocked away. He dribbled it off his foot. It's not hard to watch Melvin and see he isn't as coordinated and fluid as most guys playing a true small forward position. The good news is he's an elite rebounder, a good 3-point shooter, and the best free throw shooter on the team. We aren't a traditional team and Melvin isn't a traditional player.

My point most of the time he makes a shot off that move.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
you have obviously not watched any of our games this year. Ejim can and will continue to dribble the ball, it's essential to our offense.

He does struggle sometimes handling the ball. There's no denying that. He struggles with that floater/runner shot he has as well. He's a great player, but those are two things he needs to work on.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
yup, just another armchair QB expressing an opinion based only upon watching games on TV or in person. Clearly, I am the only one on this board who does that.

I like how you don't even try to argue that you don't have a ******* description, just that you aren't the only one.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Seriously, what do you want him to be? Lebron James?

Do you want him to score 30 points with 30 rebounds? Does that make you happy?

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Melvin had a bit of an off game.. Nothing more in my opinion.[/QUOTE

Ejim had "a bit of an off game"?? Your opinion is way off base dude. Melvin Ejim was huge in that game 15 pts, 10 rebounds is not an "off game". And then there are people ripping him about his handle?? Get a grip people!! Geez. Enjoy this great season we are having and shove the negative comments!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Good grief. Melvin was trying a bit too hard and the ball went off his foot. In that instance he made a bad play. TO's are part of the game. Ejim played 37 minutes and led the team in assists, and had a double-double. Great game.

Melvin making moves to the hoop is a big part of his game. I will forgive him of the turnover.

He who does nothing makes no mistakes.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Melvin making moves to the hoop is a big part of his game. I will forgive him of the turnover.
Yep, and the OP failed to recognize that it was while he was being defended by a (good) pg. Few teams play four guards like BSU. When guarded by a PF or C, as he normally is, Ejim has sufficient SF skills.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Seriously, what do you want him to be? Lebron James?

Do you want him to score 30 points with 30 rebounds? Does that make you happy?

i never said I was unhappy with Ejim's contribution to the team and, if you would bother to actually read what I wrote, I started off by praising the various ways he is helping the team. I just don't think he is a prototypical small forward and that he tries to some things he is not good at which result in either turnovers or bad shots. I think if he would stick to shooting the 3, put backs and other shots close to the basket, and not dribble the ball on fast breaks or on drives to the team, we will be a better team. I've previously posted on here areas in which each player can improve to help the team progress.

Ejim has 24 turnovers, second only to Kane who handles the ball a lot more, and that is after playing two less games.

Of course, if you don't think any of our players are in need of improvement in any areas....

Last edited:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
His versatility makes the team that much better, and his handle has improved immensely and will only continue to do so. One bad turnover in a game is hardly cause for him to limit his game.