Ejim is No Small Forward

Alcyclone

Jan 2, 2012
Ejim is a great rebounder, making garbage baskets, and shooting 3 pointers. But, he has absolutely no business trying to dribble the ball on fast breaks or driving to the hoop. He has no handle and there's a high probability he will turn the ball over take a bad shot by just throwing the ball up there and hoping it goes in.

On the play he dribbled the ball off his foot, I was yelling "don't dribble, don't dribble." My brother said "too bad he can't hear you,". He is hurting us by trying to do too much outside of his skill set.

Is this just an undefeated time and could not find something else to complain about

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
i never said I was unhappy with Ejim's contribution to the team and, if you would bother to actually read what I wrote, I started off by praising the various ways he is helping the team. I just don't think he is a prototypical small forward and that he tries to some things he is not good at which result in either turnovers or bad shots. I think if he would stick to shooting the 3, put backs and other shots close to the basket, and not dribble the ball on fast breaks or on drives to the team, we will be a better team. I've previously posted on here areas in which each player can improve to help the team progress.

Ejim has 24 turnovers, second only to Kane who handles the ball a lot more, and that is after playing two less games.

Of course, if you don't think any of our players are in need of improvement in any areas....

No one is saying players don't need to improve. Ejim is improving and has improved. And needs to continue to improve. Ejim is being asked to do some things out of need.

As far as turnovers are concerned look at last years team. How many TO's did Clyburn and Lucious average per game in comparison?

I will tell you. Lucious averaged 3.3 TO's per game and Will Clyburn 2.6 TO's per game.

Last edited:

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
i never said I was unhappy with Ejim's contribution to the team and, if you would bother to actually read what I wrote, I started off by praising the various ways he is helping the team. I just don't think he is a prototypical small forward and that he tries to some things he is not good at which result in either turnovers or bad shots. I think if he would stick to shooting the 3, put backs and other shots close to the basket, and not dribble the ball on fast breaks or on drives to the team, we will be a better team. I've previously posted on here areas in which each player can improve to help the team progress.

Ejim has 24 turnovers, second only to Kane who handles the ball a lot more, and that is after playing two less games.

Of course, if you don't think any of our players are in need of improvement in any areas....

When you start a dumb thread, it's best to keep quiet. Kinda like dribbling off your foot; it happens to everyone. Move on. So, don't try to argue that it was a good thread, because it was dumb.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I just hate sending a good free throw shooter to the line, or having a player who is not one dimensional. Yah just what the hell is Melvin thinking? ******* a.

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I agree. When the game was over i remember thinking that was probably his worst game of the season and he still got around 18 and 9. We need him to dribble and drive. I just think he was a little off tonight and his effort still pulled us through.

You could tell he was pressing a bit to much tonight trying to bring the team back.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think Niang should quit shooting the hook shot. I saw him miss one. :jimlad:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

He is no small forward and he does have a few too many TOs, but Melvin from the top of the key has been a huge plus for our offense and one of our more effective and consistent go-to plays. If he isn't hitting the three he's driving and dumping off to Hogue, Kane, or Niang for a layup, sometimes finishing himself, or drawing a foul (and hitting 85% from FT).

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
He had 15, 10 and 3 - leading the team in rebounds and assists. He made 9 of 10 free throes, mostly in the clutch.

That wasn't an off game. Just stop.

Melvin had a bit of an off game.. Nothing more in my opinion.[/QUOTE

Ejim had "a bit of an off game"?? Your opinion is way off base dude. Melvin Ejim was huge in that game 15 pts, 10 rebounds is not an "off game". And then there are people ripping him about his handle?? Get a grip people!! Geez. Enjoy this great season we are having and shove the negative comments!

Woah, guys! Sorry I probably should've worded that differently. My point was that Melvin often makes a lot of those shots he missed (a couple of threes and in the paint shots) and was uncharacteristic of him to turn it over in the clutch like that. I LOVED how he took it to the rack and drew fouls instead of settling for the jumper towards the end. Maybe I have too high of expectations for him!

I think if you look at my post history you'll see I'm a very positive Cyclone fan and poster, and I apologize for sounding negative.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Woah, guys! Sorry I probably should've worded that differently. My point was that Melvin often makes a lot of those shots he missed (a couple of threes and in the paint shots) and was uncharacteristic of him to turn it over in the clutch like that. I LOVED how he took it to the rack and drew fouls instead of settling for the jumper towards the end. Maybe I have too high of expectations for him!

I think if you look at my post history you'll see I'm a very positive Cyclone fan and poster, and I apologize for sounding negative.

Ejim's FG% against Boise was not that great. I actually thought it was smart play on his part taking it to the hoop and drawing fouls where he was pretty deadly finishing 9-10 from the FT line.

Yes he made that bad TO, and a few others. But if you extrapolate that into terms of possessions and points of those possessions, then the TO's actually aren't as big of a deal. As I pointed out, Clyburn turned the ball over at just as high or higher rate than Ejim is turning the ball over. And no one would argue that Clyburn should not have been handling the ball last year.

Bottom line is that we continually want him to cut down on TO's. And over the last 2 games Ejim has had 8 turnovers, while in the first game of the Tourney he had zero TO's. So I don't consider Ejim to really be a TO machine. Royce White turned the ball over a lot IIRC.

Checked it out and Royce White averaged 3.8 TO's per game. Don't remember anyone say that Royce could not handle the ball or should not handle the ball.

Last edited:

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
Yeah, because 15 points and 10 rebounds seems like an off game to me. Especially when he makes 9 of 10 from the charity stripe. Clutch if you ask me.

Please see my response above. I didn't say he sucked and am a huge Melvin fan! I actually had the Iowa State Daily front page the day after the Michigan game with him shooting a jumper down the whole right side custom framed for my dad for Christmas. My point was that I thought his game was a little off today (he was 3-9 from the field and 0-3 from 3) and that he will bounce back.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
Yeah, because 15 points and 10 rebounds seems like an off game to me. Especially when he makes 9 of 10 from the charity stripe. Clutch if you ask me.

I definitely agree that his FT's were clutch. Like, I said, I loved how he took it to the rack at the end a got fouled. He also had some clutch rebounds at the end. I think people are confusing my statement. You can't say his shooting wasn't a bit off, that doesn't mean he didn't have a good game though. The two aren't mutually exclusive and I should've elaborated on my first statement to make that clear.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
The team is undefeated, best start in school history, leads the entire country in assist/turnover ratio, and less than an hour after a huge win, we have a thread started about Melvin dribbling a ball off his foot once. Incredible!

When/if this team actually does lose a game, the board will absolutely melt down.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Between this thread and the "why is Kane the face of the team" thread - we sure have a lot of Cyclones being Cyclone today.

Must has something 2 complainz about!

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Ejim is a great rebounder, making garbage baskets, and shooting 3 pointers. But, he has absolutely no business trying to dribble the ball on fast breaks or driving to the hoop. He has no handle and there's a high probability he will turn the ball over take a bad shot by just throwing the ball up there and hoping it goes in.

On the play he dribbled the ball off his foot, I was yelling "don't dribble, don't dribble." My brother said "too bad he can't hear you,". He is hurting us by trying to do too much outside of his skill set.

cool thread bro

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I thought Ejim played the 4 and Hogue the 3, not that it really matters in this system. But yeah, I can't stand watching a high % FT shooter attack the basket. I'm pretty upset about Kane shooting wide open 3s too, but since he went 4-6, I'll let it go. Oh and that Thomas kid better start shooting more contested 3s, what is he thinking passing to the open man and taking a defender to the arc. And another thing, FH better start coaching in the 1st half, we can't just win every game by making awesome comebacks with clutch shooting.

I would have typed in all caps, but it takes too long on a phone.