I believe this is the first time ever...

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Both Iowa and ISU mens and womens teams come into their games all being ranked. I'm like most on this board and don't like the Hawks, but you have to admit it's pretty cool that both programs have their mens and womens teams in the top 25 at the time they are playing each other. And judging from the early season play, I don't believe any of those rankings are overly inflated.

I wonder how many other states with teams set up like ours (Kansas, Michigan, Oklahoma, Arizona, Washington, etc.) can say that.

Can't wait for 7 PM tonight and 830 tomorrow. Go Cyclones!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Its pretty cool. Hopefully it stays that way for many years.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Both Iowa and ISU mens and womens teams come into their games all being ranked. I'm like most on this board and don't like the Hawks, but you have to admit it's pretty cool that both programs have their mens and womens teams in the top 25 at the time they are playing each other. And judging from the early season play, I don't believe any of those rankings are overly inflated.

I wonder how many other states with teams set up like ours (Kansas, Michigan, Oklahoma, Arizona, Washington, etc.) can say that.

Can't wait for 7 PM tonight and 830 tomorrow. Go Cyclones!

1987 was just mens.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This has nothing to do with this thread but when I opened this there is a League of Angels ad on the right. Let's just say it's an interesting marketing ploy and one that I bet is very successful.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hmmm, I would've guessed more times than twice (for the men).

Also, I'd guess it's happened more times in Kansas, Indiana (many more times) and Michigan.

Indiana - ND and Purdue are not the same. Indiana State U?
Kansas - KSU? Witchita State is not the same.
UNC - Duke is not the same. NCS?
Illinois - Illinois State?
Michigan - MSU?
Cali -UCLA, USC? Not Stanford.
Washington - WSU.

Last edited:

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Michigan - MSU?
Washington - WSU.

Does not compute?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Both Iowa and ISU mens and womens teams come into their games all being ranked.

Reminder from the OP's question. I'm still interested if there has ever been a state with a comparable scenario.

1. Has a state had two schools have both men's and women's teams ranked at the same time?
2. Has a state had both men's and women's teams playing each other in the same week/weekend while all are ranked?

This seems like a great story line for ESPN to run with. Seems pretty rare. Hope the games live up to the billing and we win two thrillers.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
This has nothing to do with this thread but when I opened this there is a League of Angels ad on the right. Let's just say it's an interesting marketing ploy and one that I bet is very successful.

Not at home where I have adblock, but I got this at work as well (adblock not allowed). Also a Frederick's of Hollywood one. I'm blaming the victoria's secret thread.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Yeah, I was thinking along these lines:

KU/KSU
Michigan/Michigan State
OK/OSU
Arizona/ASU
Oregon/Oregon State
Washington/WSU
Florida/FSU

I know it's probably happened a lot with men's. But, I'd be interested to see if it's happened with both mens and womens at the same time and when they're playing each other.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Michigan - MSU?
Washington - WSU.

Your California one has probs.

"Cali" and UCLA are both part of the University of California system (the other campuses are Davis, Irvine, Riverside, Merced, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara & Santa Cruz).

The California State University system has 23 campuses...SDSU is probably the most notable for basketball.
Edit: I think Cal State Long Beach has been to the dance a couple of times in recent memory...

USC & Stanford are both private institutions.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, I was thinking along these lines:

KU/KSU
Michigan/Michigan State
OK/OSU
Arizona/ASU
Oregon/Oregon State
Washington/WSU
Florida/FSU

I know it's probably happened a lot with men's. But, I'd be interested to see if it's happened with both mens and womens at the same time and when they're playing each other.

CW and/or Blum should write an article about this. Maybe it will get picked up by Sports Center and USA Today. They probably aren't even putting the pieces together on their own.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Michigan - MSU?
Washington - WSU.

What the **** are you talking about?

Indiana - IU & PU is analogous to UI & ISU. Purdue is the state land grant institution.

Kansas - KU & KSU are analogous to UI & ISU

Michigan - UM & MSU are analogous to UI & ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron