Bill Bleil leaving too?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
CW said the other day on KXnO, he has heard we have not seen the last firing on offense.

Yeah, and Bleil was the only other one that would make sense to me. Maybe Klenakis, but I cant see the guy being fired after one season.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Meh, Pope is the only one I think that would have been out a bunch and I think we send the closers this week anyway which seems to be the Burnhams, Klenakis, Rhoads and Day. I will be very surprised if Day isn't a full fledged staff member next year. My hope is that Bleil gets another gig leaving room for the new OC to bring one of his own and room to promote Day. IMO, the new OC would be nuts not to look at what Day has done this year and want him at something like RB coach and I think it owuld be nuts to not want Klenakis considering his complete body of work.

What is with everyone and their love for Day? I don't get it and am seriously curious. Will someone please explain it to me?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What is with everyone and their love for Day? I don't get it and am seriously curious. Will someone please explain it to me?

Not real knowledgable about this but.....Derek Day is a Graduate Assistant on the Defense side who has done a great job in that capacity. Plus he has been said to be very good when it comes to recruiting. So he is kind of an up and comer that has done very well with everything he has been given to do and many feel he should be rewarded with a position coaching job if we are going to keep him.

i.e. he has paid his dues and done a great job and should get a better job on the coaching staff.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

He has killed it in Midwest recruiting. Tommy Mister being the biggest get. I think a lot of our Illinois recruits and commits have all had Day as lead recruiter.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
You only can have so many guys out recruiting at a time anyways.

I understand that but Bleil, Pope and Mess were the main recruiters for ISU. I know other people have filled in for them but their tenure on recruiting trail is big. I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I understand that but Bleil, Pope and Mess were the main recruiters for ISU.

And what has been the biggest gripe with people on this board? Poor recruiting. People complained this year that the big talent gap was still present. What better way to fix that than replace your poor recruiters.

CY88

Jan 3, 2013
I understand that but Bleil, Pope and Mess were the main recruiters for ISU. I know other people have filled in for them but their tenure on recruiting trail is big. I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Bleil hasn't left ISU yet. Last time I checked he was still employed as the asst head coach and TE coach. So what makes you think he's not out recruiting if that's what CPR wants him doing?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
By my count, we got 6 recruits from Texas in 2013 and looks like we will get 6 more for 2014.

We got 7 recruits from the Midwest in 2013 (including Bibbs who is from Chicago but played in Arizona, Coe, Campos, and Lanning). Looks like we will get 7 more in 2014 (including Lazard, 3 from Wisconsin, 2 from Illinois, and 1 from Missouri).

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
What are you talking about? I'd say those 3 are among the least active. Shane, wally, Derek day are the ones I hear most.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
He's applying for a head coaching position correct??? Maybe that's what he wants to do with his career.

I love how everyone called for "big Changes", even for the head coach to be fired. Now we are concerned what it will do to the recruiting class.

Can't have it both ways people....

We are?

moo-u

Apr 12, 2006
sheldon
Pop Warner, John Majors, Earle Bruce, Jackie Sherrill, Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Danny Mac.

It would be interesting to see what % of the "know it alls" here at CF can (without googling)
tell you what these people have in common.

m.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
What are you talking about? I'd say those 3 are among the least active. Shane, wally, Derek day are the ones I hear most.
Shane recruits but Wally doesn't. Mess recruited Florida hard...Meeks, Rodgers and Curtis were recruited by Mess.
Bill recruited o-line mostly.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Pop Warner, John Majors, Earle Bruce, Jackie Sherrill, Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Danny Mac.

It would be interesting to see what % of the "know it alls" here at CF can (without googling)
tell you what these people have in common.

m.
They coached at ISU......