Bill Bleil leaving too?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Maybe, maybe not:

There were 50 applicants for the job as of 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The job posting closes Dec. 10. It is expected there will be a number of serious applicants just before the deadline. some coaches will avoid applying for the UND job until the last moment, because of North Dakota's transparent open-records laws.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
CW said the other day on KXnO, he has heard we have not seen the last firing on offense.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
To me, Bleil was one that should have been on the chopping block just as much as Pope. I wonder if his not being fired yet was a personal favor from CPR knowing that he planned to apply for this job?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
To me, Bleil was one that should have been on the chopping block just as much as Pope. I wonder if his not being fired yet was a personal favor from CPR knowing that he planned to apply for this job?
I believe Sturdy and Klenakis will be the only remaining guys on staff and the new OC will have his choice of the other two positions.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
This doesn't surprise me. CPR understands that a new OC will want to bring in some of his guys, and while that doesn't necessarily mean he's forcing Bleil out, it certainly makes me wonder.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is it typical for a position like this to have 50+ applicants? Do lots of assistant coaches apply for multiple positions each year to keep their careers moving forward and "just in case"?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Well, that will make all you guys calling for his head happy. Not a huge fan of what he has done at ISU, but I do get a little concerned about making a too many changes in the coaching staff right when the recruiting season is heating up. Have to trust that CPR has a plan, and new coaches will be starting soon.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
He's applying for a head coaching position correct??? Maybe that's what he wants to do with his career.

I love how everyone called for "big Changes", even for the head coach to be fired. Now we are concerned what it will do to the recruiting class.

Can't have it both ways people....

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Is it typical for a position like this to have 50+ applicants? Do lots of assistant coaches apply for multiple positions each year to keep their careers moving forward and "just in case"?

I have no insight whatsoever, but college coaching seems like an intensely volatile industry to be a part of. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair number of people keeping job applications in circulation because you just never know what's going to be around the corner.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Would applying for an FBS job be considered a case of moving forward?

I'd think that getting a head coaching job in FCS would be a step up for an FBS position coach. Especially since Bliel isn't exactly a rising star so going FCS would probably be his only chance to be a head coach.

There are multiple routes up the ranks in coaching. New head coaches at BCS schools tend to be either BCS coordinators or non-BCS (but FBS) head coaches. For example.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Coaches are nomads. They change jobs the way regular joes change the oil in their car. Bleil may have applied for 10 jobs every year for all we know. This one happened to surface. Just because he applied doesn't mean he'll get it.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
But where do you go from North Dakota?
It's not a marquee FCS program, and it looks like a pretty bad one overall. It doesn't seem like the career prospects are real high after that position.

Do well at ND and maybe you get a higher profile FCS opportunity or MAC level job. Do well there and you'll get a shot at one of the major conference jobs.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO Bleil knows he needs to be looking for a new gig. I do not mind an offensive shakeup after a 3-9 season. It was not good.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
But where do you go from North Dakota?
It's not a marquee FCS program, and it looks like a pretty bad one overall. It doesn't seem like the career prospects are real high after that position.

A head coaching job is a head coaching job. If you're confident in your abilities you'll believe you're the one that can make it a marquee job.

Help Support Us

Become a patron