Bill Bleil leaving too?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
But where do you go from North Dakota?
It's not a marquee FCS program, and it looks like a pretty bad one overall. It doesn't seem like the career prospects are real high after that position.

If a coach was to go there and make them a winner then it opens doors to other "better" head coaching jobs. Most coaches I have ever known want to be head coaches and run their own program.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
From what I have seen, UND has a strong athletic department and is willing to put a lot of institutional support around the team. Even their coach's show on ESPNU is very well produced.

CY88

Jan 3, 2013
I hope he gets the job. Bleil should have been cut last year especially after our OL was man handled in the Liberty Bowl. His ineptness as an OL coach was exposed after we lost Ocemille. He was only spared because of his history with CPR.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Is it typical for a position like this to have 50+ applicants? Do lots of assistant coaches apply for multiple positions each year to keep their careers moving forward and "just in case"?

I applied for the head coaching positions for both basketball and football at ISU. Anyone can apply.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
From what I have seen, UND has a strong athletic department and is willing to put a lot of institutional support around the team. Even their coach's show on ESPNU is very well produced.

They were a D2 powerhouse and have great facilities as well as D1 hockey. They have huge fan support as well. I have played in the Alerus Center and it is a great indoor stadium. 10 times better than the UNI dome. Their transition to FCS was hurt by not having a conference for awhile. Now that they have settled in the Big Sky there is no reason to think they can't become a power house again. It would be a good head coaching job.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
But where do you go from North Dakota?
It's not a marquee FCS program, and it looks like a pretty bad one overall. It doesn't seem like the career prospects are real high after that position.

UND has only been FCS for five or six years, so it is not unreasonable to expect that they may not have a good FBS win-loss record right now. As mentioned above, they will provide strong institutional support for the program. If BB can turn that program around (or any coach for that matter), he will have ample prospects to move up.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't believe that people are really questioning that the UND HC gig is better than being a reshuffled TE coach at ISU.

If I was Bleil I'd be after that in a heart beat.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Are we sure Bleil is a bad coach? It seems to me that one of the few bright spots on the offense, and in Rhoads tenure in general, is the TE position. Can he just not recruit?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Are we sure Bleil is a bad coach? It seems to me that one of the few bright spots on the offense, and in Rhoads tenure in general, is the TE position. Can he just not recruit?

He's only been the TE coach this year (and had the benefit of a stud JuCo and an already developed senior captain). Bleil has been the coach of our O-line before this year. I think he's the worst coach left on the staff, by a huge margin. If I could have chosen between him and Pope being the guy to go with Messingham it would have been Bliel, no question.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
He's only been the TE coach this year (and had the benefit of a stud JuCo and an already developed senior captain). Bleil has been the coach of our O-line before this year. I think he's the worst coach left on the staff, by a huge margin. If I could have chosen between him and Pope being the guy to go with Messingham it would have been Bliel, no question.

Ah, didn't know he was the Oline coach before this. Yeah, he's probably not good enough.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
He's applying for a head coaching position correct??? Maybe that's what he wants to do with his career.

I love how everyone called for "big Changes", even for the head coach to be fired. Now we are concerned what it will do to the recruiting class.

Can't have it both ways people....

They were a D2 powerhouse and have great facilities as well as D1 hockey. They have huge fan support as well. I have played in the Alerus Center and it is a great indoor stadium. 10 times better than the UNI dome. Their transition to FCS was hurt by not having a conference for awhile. Now that they have settled in the Big Sky there is no reason to think they can't become a power house again. It would be a good head coaching job.

UND has only been FCS for five or six years, so it is not unreasonable to expect that they may not have a good FBS win-loss record right now. As mentioned above, they will provide strong institutional support for the program. If BB can turn that program around (or any coach for that matter), he will have ample prospects to move up.

I can't believe that people are really questioning that the UND HC gig is better than being a reshuffled TE coach at ISU.

If I was Bleil I'd be after that in a heart beat.

All of this is dead on.

1. UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD are all ready willing and able to become serious FCS programs and NDSU has shown this.

2. ISU wants and NEEDS ambitious coaches. Our proximity to and relationship with UI and KSU should make this obvious; names like Stoops, Alvarez and Snyder should ring all types of bells. Hell, look at John Majors and Earle Bruce's ISU programs. They were damn good and it's because of guys like Jackie Sherrill, Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll to name a few.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
The problem is we are missing all of these assistant coaches out there on the recruiting trail this week. Down 3 guys is not good.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
The problem is we are missing all of these assistant coaches out there on the recruiting trail this week. Down 3 guys is not good.

Im pretty sure CPR has had this planned out judging by his statements about his next two weeks.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Yes and no. We just got two key JUCO commits and it sounds like two more are on the way. Apparently all we need right now is Paul "the closer" Rhoads.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Meh, Pope is the only one I think that would have been out a bunch and I think we send the closers this week anyway which seems to be the Burnhams, Klenakis, Rhoads and Day. I will be very surprised if Day isn't a full fledged staff member next year. My hope is that Bleil gets another gig leaving room for the new OC to bring one of his own and room to promote Day. IMO, the new OC would be nuts not to look at what Day has done this year and want him at something like RB coach and I think it owuld be nuts to not want Klenakis considering his complete body of work.

Help Support Us

Become a patron