Bill Bleil leaving too?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Pop Warner, John Majors, Earle Bruce, Jackie Sherrill, Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Danny Mac.

It would be interesting to see what % of the "know it alls" here at CF can (without googling)
tell you what these people have in common.

m.
If it is what I think it is you can add Eugene Chizik to that list

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
well DUH, I was only asking about the "know it alls" and you spilled the beans,
or are you lumping yourself in there with the ... uh.....err..... :) hehe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think it's fair to say I missed something.

And I just realized I probably thought Wally whenever I hear the last name Burnham, and it's probably almost always Shane in recruiting. I still don't hear much about Mess. Maybe it's a twitter thing

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I have no insight whatsoever, but college coaching seems like an intensely volatile industry to be a part of. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair number of people keeping job applications in circulation because you just never know what's going to be around the corner.

Every coach knows that he's hired to be fired. Not many coaches get to go out on their own terms.

Reactions: Landshark

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO, assistants need to be able to handle the mental aspect of being terminated and rejected by the Head Coach that hired them. They serve at the HC's discretion. Just part of the deal. Plus they have to be able to handle rejection. Not every recruit is going to sign or even be enticed to coming to your school. Just part of the deal.

While I understand that Mess and Pope and Bleil were recruiters. Were they really good recruiters in getting recruits that we might not have gotten anyway because they were such good recruiters. Or were the recruits we got simply ones we would have gotten because we were their best offer or they really liked ISU.

I could see Mess being a helluva recruiter because he was able to talk CPR into hiring him as our OC when he shouldn't have been hired. Guy could probably sell ice to eskimos.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I can't believe that people are really questioning that the UND HC gig is better than being a reshuffled TE coach at ISU.

If I was Bleil I'd be after that in a heart beat.

Exactly.

And some are wondering were you go after ND?? At Bill's age, I'm sure he would want to hang it up sometime.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Rodgers? As in Charlie Rogers? He's from Iowa City, not Florida.

I think I heard the announcers for the WV game refer to someone from Iowa City (probably Rogers or Gannon) as a "home town kid." :unsure:

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Speaking of North Dakota, the other school North Dakota State has beaten two schools this year who ISU lost to.

Why hasn't Bohl been hired for a more high profile job? 39-2 over the last 3 years.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This is a really good link which tells who the recruiters are. Their targets. And their commitments. Shane Burnham is damn good.

Shane Burnham - Iowa State Football

This link gives quite a different view of recruiting than has been posted in this thread. For instance, it shows positional recruiting, not regional recruiting. It also shows nearly everyone doing recruiting.

Perhaps the accuracy and up-to-date nature of the website is drawn into question by the photo of Paul Rhoads in a Pitt shirt (with a graphic that says "Pitt Photo").

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Maybe he doesn't want to leave? He has a good thing going.

Like the coach at Mount Union in Ohio who wins the Division 3 national championship each year.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If Bill Bleil can get this head coaching position, then I will be very happy for him, as he will propel his Coaching Career forward, and it might just be a win-win for all parties involved.

Go Cyclones ............De Fang thee Panthers Saturday!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The problem is we are missing all of these assistant coaches out there on the recruiting trail this week. Down 3 guys is not good.

Not really. That just means that they can send out a couple of the GA's on the road like Day. He's one of the best recruiters on the staff. Bleil did some good things at ISU for sure. This year, he lost his all-conference candidate at TE right away and didn't miss a beat. Like it or not, he also helped put KO, Hicks and Bykowski in the NFL. I hope that he gets the gig.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
This link gives quite a different view of recruiting than has been posted in this thread. For instance, it shows positional recruiting, not regional recruiting. It also shows nearly everyone doing recruiting.

Perhaps the accuracy and up-to-date nature of the website is drawn into question by the photo of Paul Rhoads in a Pitt shirt (with a graphic that says "Pitt Photo").

How so? Look at Shane. Last year he recruited 2 OL, 4 DE, 2 QB, 2 LB, 2 WR, etc. Look where he was. Iowa and Florida.

Look at Troy Douglas. All Florida and Georgia kids. DEs, DBs, LBs, and ATH.

Curtis Bray. Different positions and all Texas kids except last year where he was also in Wisconsin and Nebraska.

Mess has different positions. Iowa and Florida.

Pope hasn't recruited outside of Texas since 2010. Different positions.