If you had to pick one..

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Michigan, because it may mean more than Oklahoma, but if you would have asked me at the start of football season, I would have said Oklahoma without a doubt.

This.

Even then, it's hard to argue with a win over OU given the whole "5-70-2" thing.

But I would still tend to side with Michigan, just because I truly believe that a win in this game could be a "next level" springboard for the program. If we beat OU in football it's just good momentum and a statistical anomaly.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
But I would still tend to side with Michigan, just because I truly believe that a win in this game could be a "next level" springboard for the program. If we beat OU in football it's just good momentum and a statistical anomaly.

I agree with this. It could help be the realization of the rise in ISU basketball, even though over the course of the season it doesn't mean a ton.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This.

Even then, it's hard to argue with a win over OU given the whole "5-70-2" thing.

Michigan this year would never be a "springboard" for the program unless people attribute a Vaughn decision to it. Vaughn does not seem to be half as emotional as 90% of this message board, so I don't expect him to make a decision based on a great Hilton experience on this day. This game pales in comparison to the OSU and KU games in Hilton this year. I see this game as simply a way to gain a seed come March.

I'd go for the OU football win for sure. The basketball team will be fine as long as Hoiberg stays. It's possible it may not matter, but I think a win against OU during this mess of a season would make a difference for the football team 3 years down the road. I think it could actually be a "springboard" into the remaining games and next season.

I don't understand why people would change their minds on the importance based on this football season -- it's not time to give up on football yet.

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I agree with this. It could help be the realization of the rise in ISU basketball, even though over the course of the season it doesn't mean a ton.

I agree it doesn't mean much over the course of the season. I personally could not possibly care any less if the media thinks that ISU basketball is on the rise or not, because I think they are on the rise regardless if they beat Michigan or not. An OU football win would give me much more confidence in the football team. I could not care less what anybody thinks about ISU in the national media, and I don't think recruits care that much about ISU's perception either.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
This thread reminds me that there are other people with completely irrelevant and meaningless thoughts .... now there is a forum for those who sit around looking for something to think about (in relationship to ISU sports) to get together and discuss completely random thoughts for no purpose and because there is absolutely nothing else to read about the teams...

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If ISU somehow beat OU, Stoops would be fired within 45 minutes. As much as that would make me giggle, I will still choose a quality win over a ranked team early in a season that still has potential to be invigorating, saturated in television coverage.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I dont even want to think football anymore at this point for ISU. Ill go with a win over Michigan and i cant even compare the 2 at this point. If we win ill be happy we beat a mediocre OU team we have a handful of wins against in our history and have been blown out by in our best years but it doesnt compare to the excitement and momentum it will give our basketball program under CFH and possibly landing RV :smile:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Here’s one. Would you rather have ISU go to the final four, or win 11 games in football?
Since football seems to drive the most money and have a bigger influence in realignment (if becomes necessary again), I'd say win 11 games in football.

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
Michigan this year would never be a "springboard" for the program unless people attribute a Vaughn decision to it. Vaughn does not seem to be half as emotional as 90% of this message board, so I don't expect him to make a decision based on a great Hilton experience on this day. This game pales in comparison to the OSU and KU games in Hilton this year. I see this game as simply a way to gain a seed come March.

I'd go for the OU football win for sure. The basketball team will be fine as long as Hoiberg stays. It's possible it may not matter, but I think a win against OU during this mess of a season would make a difference for the football team 3 years down the road. I think it could actually be a "springboard" into the remaining games and next season.

I don't understand why people would change their minds on the importance based on this football season -- it's not time to give up on football yet.

I would absolutely say the opposite. I think the Michigan game with where our program is at would help tremendously, the Oklahoma game can't do anything for the football program at this point, other than maybe save a coordinators job, which I don't want to see happen. We've had a signature win in football the last several years, and as made apparent by this years team, it hasn't done much for the program as a whole.

I think a win over Michigan on ESPN, on a national stage, with 22-23 NBA scouts in attendance (the most in Hilton history), 5+ recruits in attendance, and **** V in tow, would be great press. The Michigan game legitimizes this season early and instead of being a bubble team at the end of the year, we have a shot at "Lock" status meaning we can get out of those dreadful 7-10 & 8-9 matchups (with a 1/2 seed looming). Also with the way Morris is talking about the game a lot of his hometown and his high school in Michigan is going to be dressed up in Cyclone gear watching the game. What better way to draw more recruits from Michigan?

Vaughn was impressed with Hilton Magic last year, why not 2 years in a row?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I would absolutely say the opposite. I think the Michigan game with where our program is at would help tremendously, the Oklahoma game can't do anything for the football program at this point, other than maybe save a coordinators job, which I don't want to see happen. We've had a signature win in football the last several years, and as made apparent by this years team, it hasn't done much for the program as a whole.

I think a win over Michigan on ESPN, on a national stage, with 22-23 NBA scouts in attendance (the most in Hilton history), 5+ recruits in attendance, and **** V in tow, would be great press. The Michigan game legitimizes this season early and instead of being a bubble team at the end of the year, we have a shot at "Lock" status meaning we can get out of those dreadful 7-10 & 8-9 matchups (with a 1/2 seed looming). Also with the way Morris is talking about the game a lot of his hometown and his high school in Michigan is going to be dressed up in Cyclone gear watching the game. What better way to draw more recruits from Michigan?

Vaughn was impressed with Hilton Magic last year, why not 2 years in a row?
If he was impressed with Hilton Magic in its B game last year against Baylor I cannot begin to imagine how impressed he will be in our A game! Seriously though Scott Drew..making security take away our posters

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Without reading all the previous posts, I'm sure I'm repeating a lot, but I'd much rather beat Michigan because the basketball season still has hope of success and with RV in the house a win in Hilton against a ranked team could help build the future of the program.

A win against Oklahoma right now in football would be nothing more than a moral victory for the season since it has no more actual importance to the season.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This is such a hard question because obviously we've had many decades of futility against OU in football. It might be the worst record against a long time BCS opponent in the country.

However, I've resigned to the fact that we can become a basketball school, whereas our ceiling in FB is probably about 6-7th in the league. Beating Michigan in Hoiberg's 4th year would really help build our resume for the tourney, and with the recruiting implications, it would mean way more in the long run, IMO.

I chose Michigan.

Last edited:

tivo2224

Oct 19, 2009
Norwalk
If this were 2014 and we played Michigan I would say beating Oklahoma is more important (As long as next year doesnt turn out like this year). Since this is still 2013 I say its Michigan by a mile.

Help Support Us

Become a patron