If you had to pick one..

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Michigan, the football season is over.

This. It has to be Michigan. If the football team would pull a miracle and beat OU the media would only be talking about OU. What is wrong with the Sooners? Is this the worst loss in the history of the OU program? etc... I want the football team to beat OU in a season where ISU is having success so people will be talking about how good the ISU team is. This is definitely not that season.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
OU. I've never seen it happen, and it could propel the team forward and potentially help get another win. Also, I think we'll have a good year in basketball regardless of if we beat Michigan or not.

Exactly this :yes:

A loss to Michigan isn't as bad as a win over OU would be good.

I'd rather do both though :yes:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
OU. I've never seen it happen, and it could propel the team forward and potentially help get another win. Also, I think we'll have a good year in basketball regardless of if we beat Michigan or not.

Exactly this.

A win over OU is more good than the loss to Michigan would be bad.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Michigan, then again I've always been more of a ISU basketball fan then a football one. Probably has something to do with growing up in the 90's when ISU basketball was generally solid and football was terrible until I hit my teens.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
A win against OU gets nothing but what? Momentum?? And what good is that? No hope for a bowl. The season is lost.

Basketball on the other hand is really a program on the rise. The previous two years there have been losses in non-con that probably held the team back from getting a higher seed in the tournament. It would be great not to have to play a 1 or 2 in the second round. Plus it's on ESPN against a school in a state we recruit heavily and they have a chance to sway a top ten recruit in the country to come to ISU. There is just way touch upside with a Michigan win. That's why it's an easy pick.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
OU- this team NEEDS a win and mbb will have a good year with or without a win over mu

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Not to discount how much a big win at OU would mean historically and help out with what looks to be a rough off-season for FB, but I've got to go Michigan. This FB season is, unfortunately, a lost cause and while we don't need to win on Sunday for us to have a successful MBB season, it could very well set us on the path to having a special season instead of just a good one.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Michigan. No doubt. I'd rather take a win on national TV that could get us Rashad Vaughn and set us up to be a primer basketball team for the next 5+ years then get a win that would do nothing for us overall in football. A 1 win season does just about as much good as a 4 win season for a football team.

Last edited:

allenj32

Dec 4, 2011
Football is in the rear-view. Nobody cares about going 4-8 and CPR should be worried. He is gone at the end of next season if we don't make a bowl. Basketball is here to stay. Win against Michigan would be biggest Non-Conference win in a long time. LET'S GO STATE!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I would absolutely say the opposite. I think the Michigan game with where our program is at would help tremendously, the Oklahoma game can't do anything for the football program at this point, other than maybe save a coordinators job, which I don't want to see happen. We've had a signature win in football the last several years, and as made apparent by this years team, it hasn't done much for the program as a whole.

I think a win over Michigan on ESPN, on a national stage, with 22-23 NBA scouts in attendance (the most in Hilton history), 5+ recruits in attendance, and **** V in tow, would be great press. The Michigan game legitimizes this season early and instead of being a bubble team at the end of the year, we have a shot at "Lock" status meaning we can get out of those dreadful 7-10 & 8-9 matchups (with a 1/2 seed looming). Also with the way Morris is talking about the game a lot of his hometown and his high school in Michigan is going to be dressed up in Cyclone gear watching the game. What better way to draw more recruits from Michigan?

Vaughn was impressed with Hilton Magic last year, why not 2 years in a row?

And that's fair. I'd say it's a really good question, and there are reasons for both sides. I think a UM win would make not make that big of a difference in seeding, and considering this year's team, that could be a good thing or a bad thing. It would be a really good thing if we struggle and are on the bubble, but it'd be a bad thing if it moved us from to 10 to an 8 (especially with the talent at the top in NCAAB this year)

I know people are down on football and all excited for basketball, but I've been to and seen big bball wins and big football wins, and the great football wins are the ones that will stick in my memory forever. The basketball wins tend to pass, partially because there are so many more games.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Michigan. Much more bankable. If we beat OU, two or three win season.... fball has sunk its own boat already.

allenj32

Dec 4, 2011
Football is in the rear-view. Nobody cares about going 4-8 and CPR should be worried. He is gone at the end of next season if we don't make a bowl. Basketball is here to stay. Win against Michigan would be biggest Non-Conference win in a long time. LET'S GO STATE!

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
If beating Michigan gets us the RV commitment, then yes, its definitely Michigan.
But the blast of positive energy a win in Norman would give our downtrodden football team and the fanbase cannot be overstated.
Im already in hoops mode, so i want the Michigan win SO bad. But the benefit the football team would garner after beating Okie for the second time since JFK was president is almost incalculable.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
When I first opened this thread I figured not one person would vote for an OU win over Michigan. I thought it was a no brainer that Michigan was the right answer. But to my surprise there were quite a few that still said OU. Unreal.

For me, if you asked this question BEFORE the football season started, it would have been much tougher, and I would have likely said OU for sure. But now, IMO, it's not even up for debate. A win over OU is virtually meaningless at this point. A win over Michigan is HUGE. The complete joke of a disaster known as ISU football this year has gotten so bad that not even a win over OU can save it IMO. I've already moved on from this season of football long ago.