Grant Rohach to start vs. TCU

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
We can all see it now. QB controversy for the entire off year. Rohach barely wins next year. Sam transfers at the end of next year. The year after, Rohach struggles and Lanning is brought in. And then the cycle continues.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'd rather see Sam out there but IMO the straw that broke the camels back was the 3rd down play where the protection broke down and Sam scrambled to his right, I think a LB came up to leave his coverage to hit Sam and someone (Daley?) was wide open about 15 yards down the field and Sam completely failed at being able to just lob the ball to him and overthrew him by 10 yards.

In fact IIRC that was his last snap.
Final straw for the staff as it seems too. I am fine with it as ISU needs something to happen. Rohach has the obvious stronger arm. My problem is he isn't nearly the running threat Sam is and is far more turnover prone.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The merry-go-round begins. Coaches will mess with the confidence of both guys. Fans will savage each one and lose faith in both.

How hard does it have to be to manage this position?
I like what Rohach brings to the table, but this is putting him in an impossible situation again, and it's probably not helping Richardson.

But, this is what we know how to do. Let's go back and do it again.

Just wait until they decide to give Lanning some snaps at WVU or KU. If he looks even remotely competent then we get treated to another three QB offseason competition where they all split reps with the starting unit in spring ball, guaranteeing zero offensive continuity going into 2014. Th QB postion is an absolute tire fire right now.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
If this coincides with shuffling of responsibilities within the offensive coaches for the next game, then I might be able to to see some justification. If not & this is Mess's call, I am more disappointed than I was before (and I did not think that possible).

There were threads earlier this season as to where the OC was during the game: the sideline or the booth. Right now, I'd prefer if the OC was home so he could switch back and forth from the game and ESPN with Sportscenter, ESPN News, or Lifetime.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Final straw for the staff as it seems too. I am fine with it as ISU needs something to happen. Rohach has the obvious stronger arm. My problem is he isn't nearly the running threat Sam is and is far more turnover prone.

This is the part that scares me. I agree. If you watch his HS film, he throws a TON of risky passes. He has 3 Ints in very limited action already.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Agreed. You can't blame play calling when your QB's can't hit wide open receivers 10 yards away.

Why does it always have to be one or the other? I wish it were as simple as fire the OC, swap in a new QB. This obviously goes a lot deeper than just a bad play call or one missed receiver. There were a lot of dropped balls on Saturday as well. Plus obvious playcalling miscues on 3rd and 1.

To me, this is just grasping at straws by the coaching staff, which is probably the worst indictment of them. Why not give some other receivers a shot, do we even have any other linemen? God I wish that the QB was the only problem to our woes.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Just wait until they decide to give Lanning some snaps at WVU or KU. If he looks even remotely competent then we get treated to another three QB offseason competition where they all split reps with the starting unit in spring ball, guaranteeing zero offensive continuity going into 2014. Th QB postion is an absolute tire fire right now.

They are not going to burn a redshirt year with 2 games left unless there is an injury issue with both Richardson and Rohach down.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
This could possibly be the absolute worst scenario heading into an off season with top quality wr recruits potentially scratching their heads wondering if Isu will have a competent qb or staff. Not good.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
At least Sam gets healthy so when they inevitably pull Rohach and put Sam back in, he might have a chance of doing something.

If this is just more of last year, I'm going to be livid.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This is the part that scares me. I agree. If you watch his HS film, he throws a TON of risky passes. He has 3 Ints in very limited action already.
It scares you? What the offense has done at this point has been scary enough. Can't really get any scarier.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Speechless. I think our offensive staff is so grasping at straws, they will do anything at this point. This is the move of an OC and QB Coach facing the firing squad. DESPERATION. It's just sick. Deja vu. Both QBs are going to have their confidence pulverized out of them. I wish I could say I am shocked, but I'm not. This OC is crumbling before our eyes. It's sad and a self-fulfilling death spiral of suckitude. We will be fortunate if there aren't a bunch of transfers.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Can anyone tell me what Richardson has done that makes him the #2 guy? I watched the whole game Saturday and not at 1 point did I think Rohach was a better quarterback than Richardson, did he even complete 10 passes?

Neither one did, both of them suck anyways, the whole entire offense sucks every single one minus Bundrage/Nealy/Wimberly/Bibbs/Farniok.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Very skeptical interpretation option: This creates the illusion of strong leadership by doing something decisive while putting all of the focus on the QB situation.

For many people, none of what happens will be a coaching thing. It will fall on the QB merry-go-round, create more instability, but all of that will somehow be on the QBs.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
At least Sam gets healthy so when they inevitably pull Rohach and put Sam back in, he might have a chance of doing something.

If this is just more of last year, I'm going to be livid.

It's about 6 weeks too late to rest Richardson due to injury. I guess better late than never? Can't believe the way they've handled everything this year.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Why would any offensive player even consider commiting to ISU with thus coaching staff?