Thoughts on new foul rule

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
So after seeing the new rule in action tonight, what does everyone think?

Do you think it will affect ISU in a positive or negative way?

Love it? Hate it?

Again, here's what the rule states:
• When a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent
• When a defensive player puts two hands on an opponent
• When a defensive player continually jabs by extending his arm(s) and placing a hand or forearm on the opponent
• When a player uses an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent

Last night we were in the bonus already with 12:50 to go in the first half. We didn't seem to have anyone in foul trouble, but it was only an exhibition. I noticed it may take some time for the refs to get used to it too because there were multiple times I thought obvious fouls were committed but not called.

I felt like our players had a good understanding of the rule and were really working to move their feet. Kane's strength is going to get him to the line at least 10 times a game. Our bigs will definitely get in trouble though.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think in the long run it will be good for us, given Fred's style of offensive basketball. It should eventually make games funner to watch too, which is a good thing.

It will be bad for coaches like Bob Huggins who really like to play physical and ugly up a game.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Fred noted in the post game he's been shouting "no hands' in practice a lot...and as they play more they'll get a feel for how it's called. I think it'll be good, I just hope that it isn't one of those ticky tack things that could cost teams at critical moments.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Fred noted in the post game he's been shouting "no hands' in practice a lot...and as they play more they'll get a feel for how it's called. I think it'll be good, I just hope that it isn't one of those ticky tack things that could cost teams at critical moments.
This says to me that Fred is a coach who really gets it. Guys like Huggins will keep coaching the same way and then act all dismayed when they call it like they said they were going to.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can't tell how I come down on it. I think it really bogs down the flow of the game. Is the intent of the rule to just stop handchecks on the perimeter, or does it seek to stop people using an "armbar" when defending the low post? If the latter, I think it will be next to impossible to guard the post without a double team.

While I think it slows down the pace of the game and leads to many calls that have no effect on the offenses ability to score, I will say that watching L'ville last year was unbearable. There should have been a dozen fouls called on each possession, they way they mauled people. I do hope the new POE takes that out of the game, because the game is really hard to play with someone shoving you up and down the court.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I think it will overall be beneficial to ISU but I think it really slows down the game and makes it tough to watch.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think it slows the game down. This will mean less pell mell bball and more than likely a more boring product. Yet, that is what it is.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I think it's going to end up similar to holding in football. Could, should be called on just about every down, but they'll only call it on the most blatent offenses. In some ways leaving the rule open to interpretation by teams, because they aren't calling it as often as they should. Then, whammo, you get hit with it and wonder why, since everyone has been doing it all game.

I don't think it's going to be that crucial though. There obviously will be times it's called where it was late in the game and people will complain, but it's a pretty obvious rule, no matter how it's being called, keep your hands off and you are good.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This says to me that Fred is a coach who really gets it. Guys like Huggins will keep coaching the same way and then act all dismayed when they call it like they said they were going to.
Huggins acts all dismayed when the officials come over to shake his hand before the game. It amazes me how he doesn't **** off some officials so much that he can't get a single 50/50 call to go his way.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I like the rule as long as it is consistently enforced against both teams. I can see this as something that will allow teams like KU to hack their way back into games with officials applying on the elite team clause.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I can't tell how I come down on it. I think it really bogs down the flow of the game. Is the intent of the rule to just stop handchecks on the perimeter, or does it seek to stop people using an "armbar" when defending the low post? If the latter, I think it will be next to impossible to guard the post without a double team.

While I think it slows down the pace of the game and leads to many calls that have no effect on the offenses ability to score, I will say that watching L'ville last year was unbearable. There should have been a dozen fouls called on each possession, they way they mauled people. I do hope the new POE takes that out of the game, because the game is really hard to play with someone shoving you up and down the court.

Wasn't K-state's motto "They can't/won't call them all"?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I like that it removes the ability of a coach to have a "good defensive team" by just fouling constantly and making the refs decide that that game will have to be called loosely because if they called every foul it would ruin the game.

Now if you try that, they will send a message and call every foul.

Having strong defensive position and holding your ground is good defense, not hand checking, pushing, jabbing, ect.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I thought they did something similar a few years back, by making calling fouls on hand checks a POE?

I remember them doing that and by February it wasn't being called anymore.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I thought it would be a lot worse. Obviously the first few weeks of the season will have some growing pains but all in all I think it will be good for the game and great for us.

My brother (being an Iowa fan) really hopes they actually stick with this rule throughout the entirety of the season. He's sick of seeing Mich. St. maul everybody. The same goes for K-State. Oh, and what is Aaron Craft going to do now?

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I think IF the refs stick to their guns and call it the way they're supposed to, the players will adjust and the game will be better off for it. Unfortunately, the pattern has been they call it a certain way for a little while and gradually slide back to the old way. (Remember when MLB tried expanding the strike zone a few years ago?)

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I didn't know the IHSAA ran the NCAA.
Everyone has gone soft. And for this to be good for us is bogus. We are undersized post players. What its probably going to do is help teams with 5 - 6'10'' players. One thing it could help with is our guards getting to the lane and picking up fouls. I guess we will see. I do know it slows the game down which isn't good for our offense.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I thought they did something similar a few years back, by making calling fouls on hand checks a POE?

I remember them doing that and by February it wasn't being called anymore.
My understanding is it's not just a POE, they have actually changed the rules this time.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
The referees will also have to adjust. they called some stuff last night that weren't really the intent of the rule change. Bodying a guy isn't necessarily a foul if your hands are off and and it doesn't really affect the play. You can touch a guy on defense with your hand, but not keep it on him or grab him or use both hands. The rule change was needed, scoring has been down in college and the game was getting unwatchable in some instances with the grabbing/holding and the poor charge call interpretations. NBA cleaned this up a few years ago, was time for the NCAA to follow suit

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Everyone has gone soft. And for this to be good for us is bogus. We are undersized post players. What its probably going to do is help teams with 5 - 6'10'' players. One thing it could help with is our guards getting to the lane and picking up fouls. I guess we will see. I do know it slows the game down which isn't good for our offense.

Gone soft? This is a return to the old days of basketball, when teams were able to run up and down the court and scored more. Basketball is supposed to be a game of cuts, spacing, and passing, not holding and bumping.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012

Huh? Wouldn't the fact that we're undersized make it a positive? Bigger teams can't just go out and maul our guys into submission now. And also, it won't effect our offense much because we'll be getting to the line at a much higher clip.