When do YOU turn on your heat?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I know our windows are old and not energy efficient, that's probably the biggest culprit for losing heat. It's been in the low 60's the past couple mornings with the heat off all night.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Your house creates heat?
My house at home (not school) is what they call "passive solar." Windows all along the south side of the house, so when it's sunny that pretty much heats the house on its own. Thick slab of concrete between the main floor and basement ceiling retains heat through the entire day pretty well. There are times when we have to open windows in the winter for a few minutes because it gets too hot.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
One of my roommates is a cheap ***, even though he is loaded and used to whine at me this summer when I turned the AC on during the day when it was 100 degrees out.

Yesterday he said we need to keep the heat off for as long as possible. I live in the basement of our house so it's already freezing down there. Getting out of a warm shower to a freezing basement is horrible.

I told him I'll have to get a space heater so I don't wake up frozen. I couldn't tell if he was being serious or not when he said I should just use more blankets.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We try to hold off because the heating system is terrible in our apartment (wall unit for the living room/kitchen area that is either 100% tons of cold air or 100% tons of hot air so you only run it for about 30 minutes before you are freezing/roasting, baseboards for the bedrooms). Little temp thing said 67 in the bedroom this morning, but I'm pretty sure it's 5-10 degrees below. The room is on the west side of the building and in summer when it's 100F, it says it's like 83 but you're sweating just standing in the room. Probably going to turn on the baseboard for our room tonight.....it's just soooooooooooo hard to get out of bed when it's dark and cold.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
My home must be insulated well because it didn't get below 65 last night. Once it starts hitting the low 60's, I'll turn it on.

Our house takes a really cold night to drop as well. With the lows dropping in the 30's I have been setting the thermostat at 63 just in case it does drop. It still has yet to drop below 65. Shut it off during the day.

Our main issue is that our son's room is a dormer on the top floor that is outside walls on 3 of the 4. Luckily his room is at the top of the stairs in the living room so we can just kick on the fireplace for an hour before bed with the fan in it going and most of the heat heads right to his room if we don't turn on the ceiling fan. Luckily he likes a cold room so it is generally not much of an issue but his room can be a good bit colder than the rest of the house.

But back to the OP's question we turned it on the last couple of nights but I don't think it has ran yet.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Just make sure you don't let it go too low for pipes to start freezing...seen that many times as an insurance adjuster. If the average temp throughout the day is less than 50, you're starting to flirt with frozen pipes...

I don't think this is right. If it's 32 degrees outside it will never (well, it would take weeks) for it to reach 32 inside your house. And 32 is freezing, yes, but your pipes will not freeze solid enough to burst at 32. I've gone away for weeks at a time and turned my heat down to 50 and never a problem. Now if you have a house with pipes in outside walls and it gets below zero with a nice strong wind you can get problems.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
Your house creates heat?

I'm surprised how much it depends on how many people you have in your house. A family with a couple of kids generates decent amount of heat. Also, not to try to open a cave-like thought in this thread, but if you use florescent bulbs they don't generate the kind of heat that regular light bulbs do. This also makes a difference.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We still have our windows open. As soon as I close the windows it is 80 in our house. Woke up this morning and it was 76 and all the kids were in shorts.
You have your windows open and it's 76 degrees in your house?

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
One of my roommates is a cheap ***, even though he is loaded and used to whine at me this summer when I turned the AC on during the day when it was 100 degrees out.

Yesterday he said we need to keep the heat off for as long as possible. I live in the basement of our house so it's already freezing down there. Getting out of a warm shower to a freezing basement is horrible.

I told him I'll have to get a space heater so I don't wake up frozen. I couldn't tell if he was being serious or not when he said I should just use more blankets.
This is my life as well.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Frozen pipes? Did water stop freezing at 32F for everyone else?

I think we're pretty far away from frozen pipe issues being we haven't experienced frost yet.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is my life as well.

I'm glad we're all cheap ***** in my house. We had the air conditioning on for 3 days total all summer. But one of them said he's a ***** when it comes to coldness so he might start whining soon. No one lives in the basement though, but it is warmer down there than the rest of the house

Help Support Us

Become a patron