When do YOU turn on your heat?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm an AC guy. What I mean is that the house will always be cooler. I use probably an excessive amount of energy in the summer but I am outside a lot and I'll be damned if I'm going to be hot in my house too. In the winter its usually set at about 65.

In college, one of my roomates always set it at 72. We would have wars because I honestly can't sleep if it's that warm. That went on for a couple weeks, but the thermostat "broke."

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Frozen pipes? Did water stop freezing at 32F for everyone else?

I think we're pretty far away from frozen pipe issues being we haven't experienced frost yet.
It was 35 outside when I woke up this morning. I'd say that's getting pretty damn close.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
What is wrong with you? Shouldn't all that alcohol make your blood thinner thus making you more vulnerable to the cold?

Pfffffft. I just drink till I pass out. Can't feel the cold when you're unconscious!

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I played hockey for like 15 years. You don't know cold until you have a 6 am game in Black River Falls, WI and there is snow blowing in onto the ice because the walls of their rink didn't reach all the way to the floor.

Reactions: cyrevkah

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Haven't turned mine on yet, it was the coldest in the house this morning at 61, hadn't seen it below 64 until today. The thermostat is in a hallway though and we spend most of our time in the living room a ways away. With lights, TV, laptops, kindle, and three people it's pretty warm in the room we spend all of our time besides cooking and sleeping. It is a little chilly waking up in the morning though. All three of us are 23-25 so that helps.

I thought you had to have it set at 50 or above? I know most people that have second homes or cabins up north leave theirs at 50 when they are not there. Our pipes are all in the middle of the house, only thing we have to worry about is a couple that go into the garage to go upstairs, if we forget to shut the garage in the winter we could have some problems.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
If you live in an apartment, you should never turn it on. If you live in a house, when it gets down to 60 degrees in the house, turn heat on, warm up to 70 and it should be good rest of the day

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you live in an apartment, you should never turn it on. If you live in a house, when it gets down to 60 degrees in the house, turn heat on, warm up to 70 and it should be good rest of the day
I've never paid for heat in an apartment, I cranked that ***** up to 100.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Side note story:

I once had a roommate that turned the heat on for the first time of the year, in the morning. In his defense, it was a pretty cold morning. I was in the shower and noticed the heat must have been turned on. Then I smelled something burning. Figured he was just making breakfast or something. But it kept getting worse, fast. Then the fire alarm went off. He had cranked it up to 80 right away. Idiot. Burned all the dust and **** that had built up so far that year.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Side note story:

I once had a roommate that turned the heat on for the first time of the year, in the morning. In his defense, it was a pretty cold morning. I was in the shower and noticed the heat must have been turned on. Then I smelled something burning. Figured he was just making breakfast or something. But it kept getting worse, fast. Then the fire alarm went off. He had cranked it up to 80 right away. Idiot. Burned all the dust and **** that had built up so far that year.

You keep saying "he" in this story. Doesn't make sense. That sounds like something only a woman would do.

:jimlad:

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
"Turning your heat on" as a rule is usually more applicable to those that have old radiators and/or wood burning furnaces. Even those have come a long way and allow for on demand heat in most cases.

With forced air, I schedule the thermostat and let it take care of it. House warms up to 68 at 6am, coasts until 7:00 when it's back to 55 and we're gone. Warms up to 60 at 5 when we get home, 66 at 7:30 and back down to 60 at 9:30pm. In essence, it's warm when I'm showering, and chilling out before bed after dinner, and that's it. Seems to work fairly well as the residual heat tends to carry over so that we don't get down to 55 that often unless it's really cold out.

Right now it hasn't really had to run more than once a day. The temp in the house has exceeded the t-stat settings for the most part.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
You keep saying "he" in this story. Doesn't make sense. That sounds like something only a woman would do.

:jimlad:
Well, he was a sheltered suburb child. Parents hand fed him everything and he felt entitled just just about every luxury in the world.

That and he was a hardcore Fratty McFrat Doosh

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
With kids and small pets in the house now, once it gets below 65 at the thermostat, we turn on the heat. The wife and I close door and open the window because for me, the perfect sleeping temp is right around 60 degrees.

If it were just me in the house, I probably wouldn't worry about turning on the heat until I knew it was going to get below freezing outside at night.