Tailgate Generator

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Looking at getting a tailgate generator for this fall. I'm not really looking for it to do anything else than run a tv, stereo...maybe a hotplate if the old lady tags along. I've heard from guys on here that noise is an important issue. I'm not really looking to spend a lot if I can since I'm only really using this on fall Saturdays in Ames. I've linked below the generator I've got my eye on at Home Depot. Pretty darn cheap and it seems to have decet reviews.

I know some around here have some sweet generators but what's everyones thoughts on generators?

All Power 1,000-Watt 2 Stroke Gasoline Powered Portable Generator-APG3004A at The Home Depot

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Dear god, if noise is an issue do not buy that. One word. Honda

Really?? It's only 65 db which is pretty low noise. It's part of the reason I like it (other than price) I also read that any generator around 70 is good but to try and stay away from anything close to 80.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
Dont waste your money 1,000 watt is low and wont power what you want easily.
I use a Honda 2,000 watt for 19" tv,hot plate sometimes a crockpott which can really suck the juice.
yamaha makes some good generators too slightly more quiet than Honda's but not much.

The generator is nice to have in case the power goes out which I hope is not often but when it does from storm or whatever you will be glad you shelled out the dough for something nice. years ago we had a ice storm in cedar rapids area it knocked out power for 3 days and most businesses were closed and ones that were not, didnt take credit cards and atms were down. we had a cheap 1,000 watt generator it could barely power a small heater and cause it was a cheap pos it would decide to shutdown on its own every so often was a pain to pull start it back on too.

Honda and Yamaha are good quality products price may not be cheap but in some goods you more often than not get what you pay for.

Last edited:

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Get a marine battery and power inverter. Will run a tv and satellite box for several hours, no noise and less than $100. An old Coleman stove works great if you need a hot plate.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
70 db is considered as normal speach at 3ft between people, so 65 isn't to loud, but 1,000 watts is not much at all. I bought a Champion from Sam's a while back and have loved it.

Here is an ad for one: champion generator

You can connect two of them together like the Honda's to get more watts.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Get a marine battery and power inverter. Will run a tv and satellite box for several hours, no noise and less than $100. An old Coleman stove works great if you need a hot plate.

This. Inverters are the way to go. 100% chance of not ******* your neighbors off with noise. Plus a 4000 watt weigh about 2 pounds.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

Ok, you got me interested. Do you or anybody have a specific set up that you could recommend me looking into? I'm not that familiar with marine batteries...can you just simply get a marine battery and any power inverter will hook right up to it?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Marine batteries are slow discharge batteries. Our RV has them and doing something simple like running our furnace they last about 6 hours. The downside of going the battery route is when they are done...so are you.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Why wouldnt you get a power inverter? Also any "generator noise" is to loud, maybe nobody has said anything but i assure you the neighbors are annoyed

Should have been more clear. We actually plug our RV into the generator and use the outlets in the RV to run everything else. If the little amount of noise our generator produces annoys anyone, I'd be surprised. Our TV sits 10 feet from it and doesn't bother anyone trying to listen to the whatever they are watching.

ISUAlum05

Nov 5, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you buy anything beside Honda or Yamaha, you deserve the dirty looks you'll receive from those around you.

This. We can't justify the cost of a good on, so we don't have one. Don't be that guy. And if you think your neighbors aren't bothered by your cheap *** generator, that you probably put away from you and near them, you are wrong.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
This. We can't justify the cost of a good on, so we don't have one. Don't be that guy. And if you think your neighbors aren't bothered by your cheap *** generator, that you probably put away from you and near them, you are wrong.

We have that problem where we park. Kind of annoying but whatever. I just run a power inverter off my truck, cost was only 50 bucks and I can run my TV, 2 crockpots, Satelite dish and rope lights if needed. For most long tailgates I leave my honda truck idling, which is esentially dead quiet and barely burns any more gas than a generator. Plus I can run the music through my truck sound system.

That is my cheap solution to buying a generator.

isudvm

Feb 2, 2011
Honda's are great but expensive. I bought the same one you did, and it worked great last year. Invest in television speakers for the tv, and get a cheaper generator. I have only used my for tailgating, so spending over 1k on a generator seemed stupid.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I assume that's on the first page of any crappy generator manual?

Step 1: Get your longest extension cord, and place as far away from yourself as necessary. Bonus points if it's right beside your neighbors tent.

:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

ISUAlum05

Nov 5, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I assume that's on the first page of any crappy generator manual?

Step 1: Get your longest extension cord, and place as far away from yourself as necessary. Bonus points if it's right beside your neighbors tent.

:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

Every freakin time! Oh, it's too loud to have next to you? By all means, put it next to me then! Aholes.