Yikes - ISU Slam on CNNSI

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I think Pollards right reduce the student section make it only one end. Then make the other end season ticket holder BUT..the rowdy on your feet the whole game yellin' section. I would probably buy season basketball tickets then.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I think Pollards right reduce the student section make it only one end. Then make the other end season ticket holder BUT..the rowdy on your feet the whole game yellin' section. I would probably buy season basketball tickets then.

Why do you have to wait for Pollard to give you what you want and just create your own rowdy on your feet the whole game section by buying tickets and doing it.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think it was student section. I think it was the entire crowd atmosphere.

Nope.. from Cyclones.com

Fans voted Iowa State and Hilton Coliseum as the nation's No. 1 team in regards to school spirit in a poll during ESPN's "student spirit" week.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I do find it a bit strange that more students don't go to the game for me, especially on weekdays. On the weekends more stuff is going on that I might want to do. On a weeknight yeah I may have homework or a test to study for but socially a lot less is going on so hey I get together with friends and head over to the basketball game(ISU may be mediocre but Wartburg is bad 6-12 eck). The homework and other stuff can wait a few hours while I go out and cheer on the team.

Hey come on, They'd be a lot better if Eslick hadn't torn up his knee.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Why do you have to wait for Pollard to give you what you want and just create your own rowdy on your feet the whole game section by buying tickets and doing it.

Yeah if you've every done this then you know you get the..."Oh great we got one of these guys in our section tonight looks":no:

balken

Apr 14, 2006
The student section has become way too contrived. Back in the day, you put in your application to the lottery, got your seats, and if you didn't go to the game there was no shortage of people who wanted your tickets. Now, you have to pay this fee, stand in line, sit in this section, wear this shirt, use these cheers and whatever novelty item we decide to give you. JP needs to realize that you drive certain behaviors with carrots, like donor seating or season tickets, but you can't create atmosphere by controlling the puppet strings.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
I've been gone all day so I missed most of the discussion but here are my 2 cents.

This isn't just a problem at ISU and not just a student problem. People have way more entertainment options than they used to. Some students would rather sit on the internet or play PS3. A lot of nonstudents would rather do their own thing or watch the game hassle-free on their HDTV. Like it or not it's the way it is and probably not going to change.

I've mentioned that I'm in grad school at KU. They have possibly their best team ever and in their biggest nonconference game against Arizona the student balcony section was completely empty. The main difference is that they will oversell the section for most games and the demand from the public is such that they have 16,000 butts in the seats every game. The students have 3800 seats allotted to them but in the game last Saturday I'm guessing they had just barely over half of that and the rest was general admission sales to the public.

Now, my question is, why doesn't ISU adopt a similar policy where they "oversell" general admission tickets to certain sections instead of eliminating student seating? It would take some time to get the numbers right but they could say that students and GA aren't guaranteed a seat if the section is full so they have a little leeway and could refund the money for that game if they actually had to turn people away.

That just seems to me like the best way to maximize and balance the excitement the students bring and attendance that others might bring.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The student section has become way too contrived. Back in the day, you put in your application to the lottery, got your seats, and if you didn't go to the game there was no shortage of people who wanted your tickets. Now, you have to pay this fee, stand in line, sit in this section, wear this shirt, use these cheers and whatever novelty item we decide to give you. JP needs to realize that you drive certain behaviors with carrots, like donor seating or season tickets, but you can't create atmosphere by controlling the puppet strings.

Another good post.

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
I read an opinion column in the ISU Daily today blasting Pollard over his remarks and saying the students just need an incentive to attend games. Wow. Do they need an extra incentive to attend class? Maybe he should say the following - I'm sorry President Geoffroy, but these classes in the morning are so hard to get out of bed for. Can you give me an incentive to attend classes? Can you give me a new shirt for every day I attend class, or if I attend five classes in a row, can that bump me up a grade? This is so unmotivating.....
Suck it up. The players are fellow students like you. Support them, unless attending a game would hurt your academic standing.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
i am afraid that everyone that is a student on this board was most likely at the game, this is like preachin to the chour. if we want to do something about it then we need to talk to other pple rather than a message board..

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Contact Us

for anyone who wants to contact CA and find out what they are doing to get people to show up (besides towels, flashing lights, bandanas, and sunglasses)

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The photo looks familiar. It is either an image used on a website to see ISU merchandise or a photo from the home show in Grimes this year. One of those houses was built by ISU fans and one of the kids in that house was getting a pretty sweet ISU room. :)

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Contact Us

for anyone who wants to contact CA and find out what they are doing to get people to show up (besides towels, flashing lights, bandanas, and sunglasses)

CA needs to do like an MTV reality show...shove them all in a room together with lots of booze. Then let'em loose 5 minutes before tip.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Hey come on, They'd be a lot better if Eslick hadn't torn up his knee.

Yeah but they weren't great even with him. I hope Mitch continues to play basketball the next 2 years(he's a sophomore now despite several written pieces I've seen saying he's a first year). I very well could see him concentrating on tennis instead and not risking the injuries of the basketball season.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yeah if you've every done this then you know you get the..."Oh great we got one of these guys in our section tonight looks":no:

I think the beauty of the "old days", where the student ticket blocks rotated throughout Hilton was that instead of just "one guy" (student), it was a whole section. When the students got up to cheer, everybody around the students had to get up in order to see. The old fogies (the group to which I now belong) used to complain, but they got up, and they cheered.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
i hope all the students realize that games at Hilton during your 4 years as a student are the best they will ever be. I totally miss those experiences, and would love to have them back. It is just different after you graduate - especially if you do not live in Central Iowa (as i suspect many won't). The comraderie, after-game drinks, etc are all much different after you leave school. Don't take it for granted - it will soon be over.